Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL CERTIFICATION - How many hours are usually needed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They will have no problem whatsoever understanding your qualifications unlike the much , much lower qualified CELTA and DELTA grads who often respond to queries like yours on this board. Think McDonalds kitchen staff vs sous chef. Then re-read the responses to your enquiry.

BEd and MA TESL/TEFL here, along with 18 years of experience and counting . Rolling Eyes And I'm definitely not the only poster here with more than 'only' CELTA or DELTA.

Having worked in teacher training for both content and EFL/ESL teachers for a long time, I agree with the notion that younger Canadian teachers are quite a bit more savvy as regards student-centered approaches and methods than many are (though I've known some older ones who refused to do anything other than lecture til the students dropped dead). As noted, if you're applying to places where the Canadian system is well-known, this will help, though in my world we would still want to see a CELTA at minimum, and you'd be hired on a trial basis only even then. Experienced content teachers sometimes just aren't cut out for language teaching (same as the rest of the would-be EFL teacher population).

In general, it's very true that content teachers aren't assumed to be 100% ready to be successful in ESL/EFL classrooms, at least for the better jobs out there. If you look beyond the pedagogical issues, there's lots of competition for the better jobs from teachers with related quals and experience - bolstering the idea that a CELTA is useful even for experienced content teachers.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine even Canadian schools have prinicpals running them, and not principles. Even short-order cooks would know this basic vocabulary, with or without a Celta.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
They will have no problem whatsoever understanding your qualifications unlike the much , much lower qualified CELTA and DELTA grads who often respond to queries like yours on this board. Think McDonalds kitchen staff vs sous chef. Then re-read the responses to your enquiry.

BEd and MA TESL/TEFL here, along with 18 years of experience and counting . Rolling Eyes And I'm definitely not the only poster here with more than 'only' CELTA or DELTA.

Having worked in teacher training for both content and EFL/ESL teachers for a long time, I agree with the notion that younger Canadian teachers are quite a bit more savvy as regards student-centered approaches and methods than many are (though I've known some older ones who refused to do anything other than lecture til the students dropped dead). As noted, if you're applying to places where the Canadian system is well-known, this will help, though in my world we would still want to see a CELTA at minimum, and you'd be hired on a trial basis only even then. Experienced content teachers sometimes just aren't cut out for language teaching (same as the rest of the would-be EFL teacher population).

In general, it's very true that content teachers aren't assumed to be 100% ready to be successful in ESL/EFL classrooms, at least for the better jobs out there. If you look beyond the pedagogical issues, there's lots of competition for the better jobs from teachers with related quals and experience - bolstering the idea that a CELTA is useful even for experienced content teachers.

Please post a list of International schools that require a CELTA in addition to an actual teaching cert and two years experience teaching in the country you gained the cert.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
Please post a list of International schools that require a CELTA in addition to an actual teaching cert and two years experience teaching in the country you gained the cert.

I doubt anyone can produce an actual list of int'l schools that require both a TEFL cert and teaching license but EFL positions in public high schools in the UAE hit that mark:

From Teach Away:
Quote:
English teaching jobs with ADVETI vocational high schools in the UAE: Bachelor’s degree in English (Master's preferred), TEFL certification, 3-5 years of previous teaching experience, and teaching license (preferred).

Applicants who hit each of those requirements get put at the top of the list. I suspect it's the same for secondary school positions in Qatar. Additionally, as of last year, the UAE government has been pushing for all school teachers --- private and public --- to hold a teaching license.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
VietCanada wrote:

I doubt anyone can produce an actual list of int'l schools that require both a TEFL cert and teaching license but EFL positions in public high schools in the UAE hit that mark:

From Teach Away:
Quote:
English teaching jobs with ADVETI vocational high schools in the UAE: Bachelor’s degree in English (Master's preferred), TEFL certification, 3-5 years of previous teaching experience, and teaching license (preferred).

Applicants who hit each of those requirements get put at the top of the list. I suspect it's the same for secondary school positions in Qatar. Additionally, as of last year, the UAE government has been pushing for all school teachers --- private and public --- to hold a teaching license.

TEFL is not just CELTA as you well know and UAE is but one country in a big, big world.

Having said that I think it is useful that you posted this. It just needed a bit of clarification for the sake of accuracy.

To address the op's question- how many hours of TEFL instruction is required? I'm thinking 120 is pretty standard. But is an in class practicum required? How many hours for that?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But is an in class practicum required? How many hours for that

Reputable employers in many parts of the world DO require the practicum (Canada, Europe, Central/South America, some of Asia). It is usually about 6 hours, though some are quite a lot more (better).
VietCanada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
But is an in class practicum required? How many hours for that

Reputable employers in many parts of the world DO require the practicum (Canada, Europe, Central/South America, some of Asia). It is usually about 6 hours, though some are quite a lot more (better).

Not sure why you use the word 'reputable" but SE Asia most definitely does not require a practicum of any length. They prefer experience teaching in their country. I suspect most of the world is the same.

Stop shilling for your prefered teaching quals.!

Posters want realistic advice not your biased opinion.

Canadian private schools are very poorly regulated. The Toronto Star newspaper points out that Ontario has virtually no regulations or oversight of private schools. They suggest (in an article printed today) that Ontario has the worst oversight and regulations of any western country.

A convicted pedophile has actually started up a private school. The teachers are not required to hold any recognized quals that would be required to teach in a public school and as such, are not in any way subject to their regulations.

The Calgary Herald has a similar complaint about private schools in their province.

Try to keep up instead of posting simple minded trash to back your bias. Your misunderstanding that education in Canada is regulated by the government of Canada when in fact it is regulated by individual provinces. That was classic! Every Canadian schoolkid knows this.But not you, who claimed to have worked in Canada.

That's what happens when the oversight is seriously lacking. No clue about how things work.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reputable language schools in Canada require a practicum.

You mean this one? http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/province-shutters-private-school-over-safety-management-concerns

Not a language school.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

You mean this one? http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/province-shutters-private-school-over-safety-management-concerns

Not a language school.

LMFAO. A random link? Really? Private schools in Canada have little oversite as a rule but you need to check each province. There is no Canadian teaching thing as Spiral78 thinks, education is provincially regulated in Canada.

While the federal (Canadian) government has the power to enforce country wide standards through federal transfer payements, the current government has not concerned itself with this for about a decade.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No oversite in private schools?! Are Canadian language lessons conducted on earthen floors? Somebody inform the 'principles'!!!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happily eligible to teach legally in Canada from private language schools up through university systems (and have done both in two different provinces over the last decade).

This is thanks to the fact that I have something more than an online multiple choice certificate on my CV;-)
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

Not a language school.

LMFAO. A random link? Really? Private schools in Canada have little oversite as a rule but you need to check each province. There is no Canadian teaching thing as Spiral78 thinks, education is provincially regulated in Canada.

While the federal (Canadian) government has the power to enforce country wide standards through federal transfer payements, the current government has not concerned itself with this for about a decade.

There is no legal standard, but it is rare to find work with just a TESL Canada I. You just can't compete otherwise. That's the same when I was in BC, Quebec, and now Alberta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: