Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What am I qualified for in the Middle East?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amnesty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: What am I qualified for in the Middle East? Reply with quote

I'm 41 years old, have 2 bachelors degrees from a decent American university (East Asian Studies & Business Administration).

But the only teaching experience I have is one year of informally teaching English conversation to 2 groups of students in Japan while doing a year-abroad there while in college.

Which countries might I find a job in with these minimal qualifications? What salary/benefits might I expect?

And what further degree or certificate should I consider in order to get a better position in a better country (I'm guessing Dubai is the best place to work)?

Many thanks in advance
Afra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be more specific? Do you want to teach in a school or a college/university? They require different qualifications. Are you only interested in teaching English - you have no real experience - or would you consider teaching Business? And what have you been doing since university?
In my experience, which is in HE in the UAE, you'll probably need an MA, post-MA teaching experience and a recognised teaching qualification. However, some of the schools are not so fussy. Do some research on the various educational websites in the region and then decide if you are likely to get a job. Also, look at the jobs advertised on this board.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What am I qualified for in the Middle East? Reply with quote

amnesty wrote:
I'm 41 years old, have 2 bachelors degrees from a decent American university (East Asian Studies & Business Administration).

Why does this sound familiar? Smile

amnesty wrote:
Which countries might I find a job in with these minimal qualifications? What salary/benefits might I expect?

You can find a job in almost any country if you're willing to work in a language school. However, that often means long hours in the classroom (30, eg.), and relatively low wages and benefits. In the Gulf, that could mean $20,000 p.a. with NO airfare, NO housing, etc. -- or even less, perhaps much less. Get a MATESL and a decent job: $30-35,000 p.a. plus housing, airfare, and all the trimmings is about the range to start, and that's for maybe 15-18 classroom hours. With FT experience, you'll get more. You'll pay for that MATESL in one year. After that, the gravy flows.

BD
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... hopefully before the blood flows.
Mark100

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amnesty

Forget the ME.

Go to Asia, Korea or Taiwan or Japan and save some money get some experience and get some quals and then after a few years you can apply for work in the ME and maybe get something decent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: