Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American, Bachelor's degree, TEFL, considering Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Brit-speaking Irish teacher? My Irish colleague snorted at the notion and mumbled something about plastic paddies...which of course I don't get, being North American myself.

Passports and parents kind of define one's identity, no?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they? I have always thought that it is a little bit more complex than that. Especially if language is thrown into the mix. Accents make it even harder, particularly when it is the 'wrong' one...
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was teaching in eastern Europe in the 1990s there was still that lingering "respect" for RP from those generations of English Philologists who though that the Royal family in Buck Palace were the only linguistic model to follow. In this of course they followed their Soviet role models who thought everyone should speak, use and understand only RP !

Professor Jana Molhova and the rest of that school are now dead and gone, and the influence has waned.

Having seen what has replaced the old orthodoxy, I wonder if perhaps they were right !

I mean like you know, innit ?
Stirlitz17

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I work with some Scots; their in-class English is perfectly clear, but if they natter together over a pint, it's another language. Fair enough.

Well, I've got a quite a strong Northern English accent, which I have to tone down in class. One of my former colleague's parents came to visit from America and they couldn't understand a word I said.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans are not very good at decoding other forms of English. An American colleague from Oklahoma visiting me on Bute needed my services as an interpreter ! Not for Gaelic speakers but for those using Modern Colloquial Scots !

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forms of English with a wider lexical base, eh, Scot?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also connected to the no-longer fashionable ideas of Bernstein.

http://newlearningonline.com/new-learning/chapter-5/basil-bernstein-on-restricted-and-elaborated-codes
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: American, Bachelor's degree, TEFL, considering Russia Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
tommyp32 wrote:
So, as my thread topic suggests, I am an American with a bachelor's degree and a TEFL. I am considering applying for positions in Russia.

I am wondering

1. What is the current climate like towards Americans primarily and then expats in general? Sometimes the political situation makes me uneasy so I am wondering about that and how it has effected people.

2. Where are places to consider going aside from Moscow or St. Petersburg? (not saying I wouldn't teach there, but if there are other good parts of the country to consider I'd like to know about them.)

3. Who are the more reputable employers?

4. How does pay/ cost of living in Russia compare to that of other Eastern European countries?

Thanks for any advice.

1) Russians prefer Brits over Americans. Sorry, we're just better Wink (plus we're closer physically!) Plus a vast majority of Americans (and Brits for that matter) tend to go to Russia expecting everything to be the same as their own country...and this is coming from Russians themselves!

2) Anywhere west of the Urals

3) Well...

4) Moscow and St P are obviously far more expensive than anywhere else

I'll take slight exception to the "Anywhere west of the Urals" recommendation. As a matter of fact, I would recommend foreign teachers consider the east of Russia, as there are far fewer foreigners there; this can be quite advantageous in regards to professional opportunities (very easy to get tutoring and in-company gigs) and social life (there is arguably a greater curiosity factor involved).

I happen to find the people in Siberia and the Russian Far East to be friendlier than in Moscow as well, though that is of course only my experience.

Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Irkutsk, Sakhalin, Kamchatka...there are so many options "out east"...I can't imagine why someone would suggest one stay only west of the Urals.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it was just a provocation...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: