Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To DELTA or not to DELTA, that is the question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrenchLieutenant'sWoman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: To DELTA or not to DELTA, that is the question... Reply with quote

Background:

I'm a schoolteacher by training and got into EFL by doing EAL support in schools, then my husband getting posted abroad so I ended up teaching EFL. The focus of my MEd is applied linguistics, so I know how to teach and have a fairly good grasp of the nuts and bolts of English. I'm pretty ambitious and am aiming for either high-level management or university level research (but can't do my PhD until we're in the same place for long enough).

I don't want to bother doing a CELTA level qualification, I've researched it extensively, I don't think it's going to teach me anything new and sitting with a load of inexperienced teachers for a month would probably do my head in. I don't need a qualification to teach but I find the approach to EFL interesting and a higher level qualification would probably add value to my CV if/when I go for DoS jobs or similar.

Or do I do another masters, this time in TESOL?! Aston accept the DELTA as a credit transfer hence the leaning towards to the DELTA to try it out and see whether it's worth the study.

If you've done the DELTA what was your experience of the course? How does it compare to what it says on the tin?
If you haven't then why not?
Do you think, being more experienced in the EFL world, that a DELTA is suitable for me and/or worth my time?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the DELTA, which as you know is focused on teaching English, would nicely fill the gap between your general teaching training and your applied linguistics work with the language.

We have found that teachers with only app. ling. aren't necessarily very effective in the classroom, and prefer teachers with specific training in teaching language. I agree with you that a CELTA would be too little in your situation, and a second MA may not be necessary - but a DELTA would fill your CV out nicely. At any rate, with a DELTA, I'd be interested in talking to you as a potential employer (in the figurative sense - we haven't actually got any positions open and I doubt you want to relocate anyway!).
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DELTA is well worth doing, for anyone who wants to improve their foreign language teaching, as Spiral has said. It does exactly what it says on the tin - it makes you a better English teacher. Even if you think you have no room for improvement Very Happy . In fact, especially if you think that. I don't know too much about the new modular DELTA, but in my day the course was quite tough, but rewarding.

It's not really designed for someone who has high-level management in mind though. DOS positions usually ask for a DELTA only in so far as this is useful for training basic teachers. In terms of all other aspects of running a school or conducting research, there really isn't anything to be gained from the DELTA.
china-1994

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"so I know how to teach"
"aiming for either high-level management or university level research"
snobs can't teach ! Why ? Too good for the rabble. Not a challenge.
"Teaching" is a variation on a form of human interaction.I'd say you have jargon and some other people's methodologies, but at best, that makes you cognizant of what happens during the teaching process.

You're coming across as an ambitious snob.In my experience these folks left an anti-learning taste in my brain.

"If you've done the DELTA what was your experience of the course?"
"fairly good grasp of the nuts and bolts of English"
Embarassed
FrenchLieutenant'sWoman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

china-1994 wrote:
"so I know how to teach"
"aiming for either high-level management or university level research"
snobs can't teach ! Why ? Too good for the rabble. Not a challenge.

"Teaching" is a variation on a form of human interaction.I'd say you have jargon and some other people's methodologies, but at best, that makes you cognizant of what happens during the teaching process.

First, whoa! You're coming over as being very aggressive. I gave as much background as possible because if I hadn't done that I'd have had a load of people telling me to do a CELTA which I don't feel I need and 2 other posters have agreed with me. I talked about my long-term career plans because I wanted to get perspective on the 2 different qualifications and their relative value. I've had great advice that although the DELTA doesn't give you management training or prepare you for the job places ask for it for a reason. Useful to know...

I resent the implication that I don't know how to teach purely based on one post on a message board - I could have said an awful lot more about my training, or my MEd, or indeed my experience but I was actually interested in how my current qualifications come across on paper for the jobs mentioned. I've already picked up one useful tip on presentation. Up until now I haven't mentioned that I trained to teach French MFL as I didn't think it was relevant to teaching English but it seems I was wrong as both posters have said people with langauge teaching experience are better than those with applied linguistics training. I could have come on here and said 'I have no EFL qualifications but I want to be a DoS one day', the answers would have been different.

I'd like to know though, why is it wrong to be interested in management or research? I genuinely believe that teachers should manage teachers having been on the receiving end of 'management' by a headteacher who was a businessman and had no educational background and education, like any other field, needs research to move on. Teaching is an immensely challenging but also very rewarding job as I'm sure you know, but it's not the be all and end all.

Quote:

You're coming across as an ambitious snob.In my experience these folks left an anti-learning taste in my brain.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. I tend not to talk this way to my students but I'm asking for career advice. Being a good teacher and being ambitious are not mutually exclusive. I'm not sorry for coming across as ambitious because I am. I also want to be good at what I do, I recognise there's a gap in my knowledge (specifically EFL teaching rather than 'how to teach a language' or 'English') and I want to fill that, I find it interesting. I don't claim to know everything about it, in fact I know I don't which is why I'm asking....

Quote:

"If you've done the DELTA what was your experience of the course?"
"fairly good grasp of the nuts and bolts of English"
Embarassed

Gimme credit, I said 'fairly good'. Would you honestly pull someone up on that in class? I'm not writing a research paper here.

Thank you all for the advice, including china. One final question - where would you recommend doing the DELTA? Is it better to go back to the UK? Can anyone give me views on any of the training centres in Europe and South Africa?
scooby doo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenchwoman,

Sashdroogie has a point regarding DELTA for managers.

Have you considered IDLTM, diploma in English Teaching Management? It is geared towards future managers and most people who take this course come from a teaching background. Maybe your MEd and current experience is adequate but you need more skills for administration in a language teaching organization?

Cambridge ESOL does idltm and IH also has an equivalent.
Pikgitina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, to do the DELTA! And I can only echo what spiral78 and Sashadroogie have said. I also found that the DELTA was invaluable when it came to teacher observation and support in general. For training in language school management, google IDLTM (International Diploma in Language Teaching Management).

I've always recommended the Seville (IH CLIC) DELTA, based on others' recommendations and first-hand experience. As far as I know, DELTAs are only run at IH Johannesburg if they can get a group of 10 together. Apparently, that doesn't even happen once a year. Sad
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a DVD out called Talking TEFL that is about the TEFL industry and it seems to suggest that if you don't have the DELTA then you're not really qualified as an English language teacher. I obviously don't agree with that view and, apparently, neither do employers that are looking for people who have completed the CELTA, Trinity or SIT courses.

http://www.esldepot.com/product.php/62/15
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrenchLieutenant'sWoman wrote:
I'd like to know though, why is it wrong to be interested in management or research? I genuinely believe that teachers should manage teachers having been on the receiving end of 'management' by a headteacher who was a businessman and had no educational background and education, like any other field, needs research to move on. Teaching is an immensely challenging but also very rewarding job as I'm sure you know, but it's not the be all and end all.

Teaching is a great job, but that being said, I would like to get into management. I LOVE planning and organising and do that better than executing what I've planned. Even after 7 years of teaching, I get so excited when explaining a game to my students that I often skip over steps and have taken to just writing the steps down on power point.

I do give lots of credit to career teachers. Burn out is easy, at home and abroad. And it'sstressful, pay can be low, lots of lesson plans, meetings, and being stuck int he middle of students and the management.

If you want to get into management, I think a good way is to start out at a medium sized school and work your way up. Getting recruited from within seems like the way to go . Also try PMing Justin Trullinger. He might have some advice for you.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^bumped.

I have found this thread to be useful and interesting as I am now considering going in on a Delta course.

I'm just fishing for insights and experiences from those who have sat a Delta course.

I am most interested in taking a year off and doing a course (a full-time intensive course) in the Fall of 2016.

I have looked at the websites of IH Newcastle, IH Bangkok/Chiang Mai, Clic IH Seville, and CERT Athens, all of which offer eight or nine-week full-time intensive courses in the fall.

I also looked at IH London's website, but the costs of doing the Delta in London are far higher than those in the aforementioned locales, so I am no longer considering IH London.

I have an M.A. in TESOL (K-12 track for public school ESL teaching) and do have experience with teacher training, but I feel that I still need to sharpen my skills and hone my knowledge.

I am also starting to let go of my doctorate ambitions (after so many years of talking the talk on that front, I am no longer so interested in walking the walk of entering a doctoral program anymore). Nonetheless, I am interested in more training, hence, the Delta.

twowheel
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it!

Best of luck to you.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Go for it!

Best of luck to you.

Many thanks! I am considering it and looking into it. I can do a lot of the reading from the various suggested Delta reading lists in the next year. I would welcome the challenge of completing a full-time intensive Delta.

twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: