Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Lecteur d’anglais" in France - competitive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact when I recommended an older friend (with good French ability, PGCE & MA in TESOL) to take over my job, my boss said she preferred someone closer to the age of the students.

I'd be surprised if that were the real reason. A lot of bosses I've had would never take a teacher on recommendation so it may have just been an excuse. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but I can understand that a boss might be worried about doing that.

Certainly, my students complain that their Spanish teacher is only five years older than them.

I have no idea how people survive in Paris. The wages seem similar to Madrid and Madrid is a lot cheaper. Young people passing through, I'd have thought.
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can totally understand that, but she did specifically send us an email asking if we knew anyone interested in the job.

The others on same contract as me were mid 20s, and so was the person I replaced, so she was definitely looking for people who were early/mid 20s. She said she wanted teachers to be of a similar age to the students so they could choose topics they were interested in. Something like that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: