Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kuwait Vs. KSA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wavelength

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Kuwait Vs. KSA Reply with quote

Can we have a conversation about the difference between KSA and Kuwait. I've never been to Kuwait, but it seems like a more tolerable (for me) life outside of work.

What are the pros and cons of Kuwait compared to KSA? What's the climate like? Is there anything green outside? Do you get in trouble for saying "Hi" to a female? etc.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuwait is probably even more drab than KSA. Certainly more liberal and you´ll be allowed to teach women and there are checkout girls in supermarkets in Kuwait. I woudn´t try to date a female student, however. Cool Both places have a huge variety of international restaurants and excellent sports facilities. The climate in Kuwait is brutal. I don´t think KSA is nearly as bad as some people on these boards make out. Unless you have the chance to up your salary considerably, I would think twice about moving there from the Magic Kingdom.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bigger problem will be qualifying for positions; a TEFL-related MA is the standard.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Q Wait the students tend to be more aggressive, spoiled, and demading than students in the magic Kingdom. The salaries in general are much lower too for qualified TEFL instructors..with graduate degrees in EFL! Shocked Shocked
wavelength

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
In Q Wait the students tend to be more aggressive, spoiled, and demading than students in the magic Kingdom. The salaries in general are much lower too for qualified TEFL instructors..with graduate degrees in EFL! Shocked Shocked

I'm sorry to hear that. Seems to be a global trend.
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Kuwait Vs. KSA Reply with quote

What? This isn't about a soccer match? Really?

wavelength wrote:
Can we have a conversation about the difference between KSA and Kuwait. I've never been to Kuwait, but it seems like a more tolerable (for me) life outside of work.
What are the pros and cons of Kuwait compared to KSA? What's the climate like? Is there anything green outside? Do you get in trouble for saying "Hi" to a female? etc.

Anywhere is more liberal compared to KSA. Entering and leaving the country is much easier than KSA. That is a big plus. It is even possible to come for a visit before accepting a job offer. Try doing that in KSA. It is possible to talk to the opposite sex in public and not get hassled by anyone in Kuwait.

One thing that I noticed was that there are radar cameras on the expressways. So, the driving is much better than to the South. There aren't the ubiquitous mangled cars on their sides and upside down everywhere in Kuwait. That adds to the quality (and length) of life there. I thought it would be a better place to live from my visits there because it is closer to normal (Western) for me than KSA.

Some questions: Are women permitted to teach the young lads in Kuwait? Is there any mixed gender education? How much is a typical ESL salary? Do Westerners get time off for the Christmas holidays?

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
Kuwait is probably even more drab than KSA. Certainly more liberal and you´ll be allowed to teach women and there are checkout girls in supermarkets in Kuwait. I woudn´t try to date a female student, however. Cool Both places have a huge variety of international restaurants and excellent sports facilities. The climate in Kuwait is brutal. I don´t think KSA is nearly as bad as some people on these boards make out. Unless you have the chance to up your salary considerably, I would think twice about moving there from the Magic Kingdom.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Willard is correct when he points out that it is easier to get in and out of Kuwait. However if you have a decent employer (as I had) in KSA they will will organise multiple exit/re-entry visas so you aren´t ¨trapped¨in the Kingdom. My employer was first class and British.
Choose your employer carefully!
In reply to his question about females teaching lads in Kuwait, I had female British colleagues who taught men. And as for driving? Both places are nightmares.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I got an employer who gives out multiple-entry visas and live near Dammam, a relatively liberal part of the Kingdom. It's not day to day excitement, but I discovered people who are chill and slowly been making connections.

I'm never going to love it here, but it's not as bad as it is. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: