Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Networking and Self-Promotion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Networking and Self-Promotion Reply with quote

Ignore the Haters and Toot Your Own Horn
by Karen Kelsky

https://chroniclevitae.com/news/1065-ignore-the-haters-and-toot-your-own-horn

Which networking techniques have been effective in your own job search and career advancement? Which ones would you add to this list? Which ones, for purposes of a TEFL job search (which can be very different from the academic job searches Kelsky is addressing), would you ignore?
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking and Self-Promotion Reply with quote

I gotta say, having been involved in groups dedicated to Russia and EFL there, I can't help but find that most people advertising themselves as coming across as somewhat cringeworthy...
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in academia and to some degree in EFL, I think self-citation is a given - how can anyone doing ongoing work in the field not legitimately be building on his/her own earlier work? Every graduate level student should know this and of course it applies to EFL as well. Anything you've published even if internally somewhere is a legit target for self-citation.

If you've designed a course or a set of assessment tools, it's definitely worth citing in future work where applicable, in addition to adding it to your CV.

I also think it's a total given to make a reasonable effort to introduce yourself to (and possibly even chat with) influential figures at conferences and etc. In my own experience, it's fairly rare that people will take offense to someone who's interested in their work, though their time and energy for conversation with 'you' (or me) may be limited.

I've recently requested and been granted a mini job interview for a new endeavor that would be an add-on to my current job. Saw a need and knew that I had something to offer. It looks like this will work out - most schools would like to expand their offerings and I expect that this is an approach that would work in many TEFL contexts.

I'm sure that lots of us have suggested adding courses in English specialized in fields where we have experience, like sales and marketing, or medicine, etc.

I expect that the bottom line may be that it's ok to promote your work - but probably less so to promote your 'self.' I'd avoid flouting my personal qualities as they relate to teaching - stuff along the lines of 'excellent rapport-building skills' can easily come across as dodgy.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pimp my resume Smile

https://ybizbuzz.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/2655218248_982bcbed93.jpg?w=1000

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: