Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Police Clearance from US certified by the State Department?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paigemel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to diligently follow these instructions but still see some grey areas. For one, I understand that I will be requested to submit certified documents for each job that I apply for. Does that mean I must narrow my options down to one company before I give them my originals which were a huge hassle to get and invaluable to give up??

Also, some people get their background checks done prior to this. However, I have requested a background check form the state of California (where I live) and was told it will be done after I acquire the instructions from that company.

So what comes first? the job or the papers? Am I not sending my documents as freely as my resume and only being selective. This seems like it could greatly impede my ability to open more doors as far as job options go.

Can someone please share the typical order of events so that I don't skip some important steps.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ever give ANY original documents to any employer in the Gulf. You give them certified copies, not the originals.

VS
paigemel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am applying for jobs in Japan and S. Korea. How can I acquire certified copies? Will copies of the original certificates be accepted from me? Please be as specific as you can.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paigemel wrote:
I am applying for jobs in Japan and S. Korea.

Sorry... are you applying *for* jobs in Japan and Korea or for jobs in some other country *from* Japan and Korea? I'm confused... If you want to teach in Japan or Korea, you need to read those boards, not Kuwait.

The procedures for certification of educational documents varies somewhat by country... both your country and the country you are applying to work in...

VS
huh?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You generally wait until you have been given a provisional offer of a job, at which point the school asks for the authenticated documents.

If you are just beginning the process, there is a good chance that you will not be able to begin working until January 2012 at the earliest - it takes a long time to get everything authenticated, and after that is done it often takes the various Kuwaiti government offices just as long or longer to finalize everything.
vinnysf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Police Clearance from US certified by the State Departme Reply with quote

Most countries want the FBI check now.

jeffelse wrote:
Police Clearance? Well you can do that at your local police department. But some police station don't require fingerprints checks, it's done by your name and birth date. I would ask the requesting agency/your employer, what they want. Most jobs perfer you get a fingerprint background check. If they require that, you need to go through a live scan process. It's more accurate that way.

STATE BACKGROUND CHECK IN CALIFORNIA:
In California, it's done by live scan. You take your fingerprint electronically. The information (your name, birth date, fingerprints) get submitted to the Department of Justice. It matches up with the database of all the fingerprints to see if you've been arrested. Then you get a letter in the mail and that's your STATE background check for California.
No record = 2-7 day processing.
If you have a Record = 2 weeks - months processing.

NATIONWIDE BACKGROUND CHECK:
If they require a FBI background check, that takes 13 weeks now, budget cuts. Some people get lucky and received it in 4-6 weeks. Before it was only 1 week. You do that, old school, fingerprint on a fingerprint card or if you go to the live scan, they can do it electronically. Doing it electronically is best because the ink doesn't smear. This part, send 2 fingerprint cards. WHY? If the FBI can't see your prints, you're waiting another 13 weeks to get your results 'cause you have to mail in another set of prints.

So ask your requesting agency on what type of background check they want.

When you get your background check, then you need to get an apostille, it's actually called authentication cause Kuwait is not part of the Hague Convention and it goes through a chain of authentication for Kuwait. If you don't know what you're doing contact these guys. www.apostillepros.com

They provide state background check - live scan, notary, apostille and translation. If time is of the essence go with them. They can get things done fairly quickly.

JoeRomano wrote:
I have recently gotten a job offer but they are saying I have to get a police clearance from the US. It has to be notarized and certified/stamped by the US State Department. Never heard of anything like it.

California is my home state so how are things done there? Anyone with any experience? Could you describe the steps?
Luxe

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Police Clearance from US certified by the State Departme Reply with quote

jeffelse wrote:

When you get your background check, then you need to get an apostille, it's actually called authentication cause Kuwait is not part of the Hague Convention and it goes through a chain of authentication for Kuwait. If you don't know what you're doing contact these guys. www.apostillepros.com

What is the Hague Convention? I don't understand why it would matter, per se? I mean, do these countries have access to each other's criminal databases? From what I have read elsewhere, this would be in violation of EU law. I'm just wondering what this Convention does.
saramainly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still in Kuwait?

JoeRomano wrote:
Thank you. So many answers that do not contain anything concrete but the last one is good. I have used apostillepros.com. It costs about $1000 but it is a necessary evil. It rids you of the necessity of a gruelling and nerve racking, gratuitously delayed procedure or mailing and remailing ad nauseum. Thank you!
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question on attestation, is it really necessary or just bring the sealed transcripts, original degree certificates, and signed police report.

The birth certificates are sealed by the Registrar of Deeds from the county where they are located, so attesting any further is useless especially if you have a US passport too. As far as US Department of State, I have sent prior documents to them only to be returned stating they won't attest them because they only do very limited documents any more.

Just want to know the difference between what they say they want as opposed to what they actually do in Kuwait? For Saudi Arabia I got the Iqama based off one degree, though I have two other masters, the medical report, and police report. They didn't care nor attest my TEFL, TESOL, nor two masters.
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Police Clearance from US certified by the State Departme Reply with quote

From reading another thread, apparently the FBI check with fingerprints, etc.,is now required to please the paper shufflers.

vinnysf wrote:
Most countries want the FBI check now.

jeffelse wrote:
Police Clearance? Well you can do that at your local police department. But some police station don't require fingerprints checks, it's done by your name and birth date. I would ask the requesting agency/your employer, what they want. Most jobs perfer you get a fingerprint background check. If they require that, you need to go through a live scan process. It's more accurate that way.

STATE BACKGROUND CHECK IN CALIFORNIA:
In California, it's done by live scan. You take your fingerprint electronically. The information (your name, birth date, fingerprints) get submitted to the Department of Justice. It matches up with the database of all the fingerprints to see if you've been arrested. Then you get a letter in the mail and that's your STATE background check for California.
No record = 2-7 day processing.
If you have a Record = 2 weeks - months processing.

NATIONWIDE BACKGROUND CHECK:
If they require a FBI background check, that takes 13 weeks now, budget cuts. Some people get lucky and received it in 4-6 weeks. Before it was only 1 week. You do that, old school, fingerprint on a fingerprint card or if you go to the live scan, they can do it electronically. Doing it electronically is best because the ink doesn't smear. This part, send 2 fingerprint cards. WHY? If the FBI can't see your prints, you're waiting another 13 weeks to get your results 'cause you have to mail in another set of prints.

So ask your requesting agency on what type of background check they want.

They provide state background check - live scan, notary, apostille and translation. If time is of the essence go with them. They can get things done fairly quickly.

JoeRomano wrote:
I have recently gotten a job offer but they are saying I have to get a police clearance from the US. It has to be notarized and certified/stamped by the US State Department. Never heard of anything like it.

California is my home state so how are things done there? Anyone with any experience? Could you describe the steps?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paper shufflers...that is probably a very nice way to describe them....ALL they seem to think about these days is to find new ways to stop you and I from coming to teach English there.... Shocked Shocked
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FBI check will show the most trivial of offenses from many years past. I am curious how merciful the paper shufflers will be for someone who got busted for the odd DUI, underage drinking at the university, or even a disorderly conduct citation for getting into an argument with a girlfriend in a parking lot after leaving a bar. Has anyone been approved with these kinds of blemishes, or do the Kuwaitis have the equivalent of the Saudi business visa for such people?

EFL Educator wrote:
Paper shufflers...that is probably a very nice way to describe them....ALL they seem to think about these days is to find new ways to stop you and I from coming to teach English there.... Shocked Shocked
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business visas are very rare in Q Wait...tourist visas are the norm...me thinks one has to wait very long time in a Q just to apply for one..the paper shufflers will then shuffle you around and around and around while you wait ages if you are LUCKY enough just to get one ....... Shocked
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Business visas are very rare in Q Wait...tourist visas are the norm...me thinks one has to wait very long time in a Q just to apply for one..the paper shufflers will then shuffle you around and around and around while you wait ages if you are LUCKY enough just to get one ....... Shocked

Why do you refer to Kuwait as Q Wait? It´s hardly an abbreviation like KSA, is it? It doesn´t even correspond to the the pronunciation favoured by citizens of the great little emirate, which is more like KWAIT. Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:

Why do you refer to Kuwait as Q Wait? It´s hardly an abbreviation like KSA, is it? It doesn´t even correspond to the the pronunciation favoured by citizens of the great little emirate, which is more like KWAIT. Confused

EFL educator has created cutesy little names for each country which are used repetitiously on each post. Humor him/her... seems harmless if juvenile.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: