Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brittany, especially Rennes/Nantes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Brittany, especially Rennes/Nantes Reply with quote

Just travelling through the area and I wonder - what are the pickings for well qualified teachers?

I have plans to go back to the Middle East to teach at a university as a direct hire but in the future I may consider Brittany as an option for a year or more.

Interested in hearing from people who have taught in this region. What kind of pay is on offer at institutes? Are there many people seeking private lessons? Do any of the colleges or universities need full-time/part-time ESL lecturers?

PS I am an EU citizen..!

Last edited by currentaffairs on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK you cannot get a uni job unless you have some kind of French certification; however, the alternative is the lecteur d'anglais positions which are part-time but pay well and you can only do them twice (in all of France). So, if you want uni work best thing to do is search for lecteur d'anglais positions and then supplement that job with language centres. Bear in mind for most positions you will definitely need to speak some French (as a minimum) to deal with admin who might not speak a word of English.

However, speaking from experience (in the north of France at least) salary for language centres really sucks (could be as little as 12 euros an hour. Go figure!). I'd say for privates you'd be talking approximately 15 euros an hour. Of course I have no first-hand experience in Brittany per se, but would imagine it to be quite similar to where I was.

Due to the poor English level in France, there is demand for ESL teachers, but I don't really think France is a good country for making big bucks. It's more so the kinda place if you have an interest in the language/culture to experience it first-hand.

So, in short I'd say the lecteur d'anglais position is the best one available. In fact it would be something great to do if you were doing a thesis at the same time given that in spite of the few hours you work you could still survive on the salary ok.

If you want any more info, feel free to send me a PM.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have some friends living near Quimper and they told me that many ESL jobs offer about 10 euros an hour which is nothing. However, one of the local ESL teachers got a contract with a company directly and has begun to make big bucks.

The lecteur d'anglais positions look interesting.
kpjf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
Yes, I have some friends living near Quimper and they told me that many ESL jobs offer about 10 euros an hour which is nothing. However, one of the local ESL teachers got a contract with a company directly and has begun to make big bucks.

The lecteur d'anglais positions look interesting.

10 euros! Shocking. Well, I guess if nobody ever accepted such a salary there they wouldn't be able to offer it.

Nicky_McG mentioned in the other thread that you can actually get jobs in private universities (I wasn't aware of this), so maybe that's one to look out for too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: