Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie looking for work in Spain, where to and how??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenevieveNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Newbie looking for work in Spain, where to and how?? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

My name is Genevieve I am a 26yo New Zealander and I have just completed my CELTA. I am about to go to Europe to travel and eventually get a job teaching. I have an EU passport so Europe is the easiest option for me in terms of not needing a visa etc. I have almost completed a bachelors degree and have a background in elite sport.

I have previously learnt Spanish so I really want to teach in Spain but I am finding it very difficult to get a job from this end (NZ). Does anybody have any advice about teaching in Spain? best way to get a job? Is Madrid where I am most likely to find a job and can anyone recommend some language schools in Madrid or Barcelona? I guess I am wondering how hard it is to just turn up and find something relatively quickly, I can be there by mid-late September.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Gen
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Spain Reply with quote

I would think the start of September is the best time to go to Spain. People say Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia are good places to look for a job. But you do have to fly to Spain first. You do also have to call schools, or leave youR C..V.
It's not straightforward if you don't have an E.U. passport. When I was in Madrid, Americans and antipodian types had to leave Spain and return every 3 months. Now I think that you would leave after 3 months and be barred from entry for another 3 months. But please check. A friend of mine got offered a job online, and they said they would hire an attorney to process her work permit. It was a scam to get her money. If you were to do the TESOL course in SPAIN, you would get a student visa and could look for temporary work. If you have real savings you could consider further Spanish classes. I even know of an Indian guy who did an MBA in Madrid.
Lots of people work at private academias. Yet classes are often outside the schools in offices or private homes, so commuting is involved.
I would say for your first teaching job, you could consider working in China, Korea or Thailand.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not straightforward if you don't have an E.U. passport. When I was in Madrid, Americans and antipodian types had to leave Spain and return every 3 months. Now I think that you would leave after 3 months and be barred from entry for another 3 months. But please check.

This is correct. Non-EU member citizens can stay in the Schengen zone for 90 days out of 180, so it's not only a matter of crossing a border - you have to exit the entire Schengen zone. Google Schengen zone for more information if you're not already aware.

Quote:
A friend of mine got offered a job online, and they said they would hire an attorney to process her work permit. It was a scam to get her money

This is happening quite often these days. If it's a private language school offering to get a visa, and/or a school hiring from abroad, it's probably a scam. Private language schools can't get legal work permits for non-EU citizen in almost any case, and there is no need for reputable employer to hire anyone sight-unseen in a job market where there are plenty of teachers ready to interview in person.

HOWEVER, the OP has an EU passport, so probably going in early September is a reasonable option. Assuming the passport is from an 'old' EU country -there are still restrictions on citizens of some of the newer EU member countries.
robinnn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest avoiding Barcelona and going for big cities with lower competition like Zaragoza, Murcia and maybe even Bilbao. I hear Madrid is also good for work but expensive.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread's a year old - she's probably long ago sorted:-)
jonniboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinnn wrote:
I suggest avoiding Barcelona and going for big cities with lower competition like Zaragoza, Murcia and maybe even Bilbao. I hear Madrid is also good for work but expensive.

Bilbao isn't that good of an option. Rent is expensive and there's less work than Madrid to compensate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: