Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decent options for a qualified English teacher.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Decent options for a qualified English teacher. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm considering what to do next year, and have been thinking of Indonesia - traveled here ages ago (Java/Bali) and loved it. However, I'm not a big fan of Jakarta, and would like to work elsewhere (really enjoyed central Java, and Bali of course).

I have an MA TESOL, a TESOL certificate, and many years of experience (language centers, international schools, high schools etc.)

Bali would be fantastic, as would Yokjakarta (sp?) and around, though as long as I'm not in Jakarta, I'm cool (I like big cities, but it's just not my kinda place).

Wouldn't be looking to get rich, but putting a little away each month would be nice.

Cheers,
Enkates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try the Kharisma Bangsa group of schools. The main one is just outside of Jakarta and so you may as well be in Jakarta. However, they have several others all over Java and even Borneo. They are a Turkish organization with some ties to a Turkish 'guru' who promotes education and general Turkish language and culture. Anyway, they're very decent Turkish gentlemen and ladies along with Indonesian faculty and staff, and interestingly staff and teachers from other Turkic 'stan' nations. It could be they are interested in hiring a native speaker to teach high school English. They will leave you alone if you happen not to be Muslim or a follower of their teacher. Moreover they operate in several other countries as well, Thailand, Russia and even in the U.S. as charter schools.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into it, thanks a lot!

By the way: I've noticed that there might be a standard of TEFL certificate necessary to satisfy the KITAS (CELTA or equivalent......which I lack). Is this usually a big deal?

Also.....5 years removed from you last degree? Really?

They must really be trying to keep us out.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kharisma bangsa along the pondok cabe-heading to Pamulang?!!! Absolutely not-unless the leopard has changed it's spots, this is one to avoid even approaching.....they have 'hired' westerners in the past....part-time and illegally, for as little as they could get away with. And the place is absolutely in greater Jakarta, which the OP wanted to avoid....
markustm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Its Worth Trying Reply with quote

Just directly contact schools through their websites. The best positions are rarely advertised, as people usually apply directly.

If you are considering working outside Jakarta, there are plenty of options, especially in Yogyakarta & Solo and perhaps schools based in smaller towns like Bogor.

Bali seems to be everyones dream place to work in, so I expect competition to be quite tough but again just try directly through the usual websites.

I prefer to avoid recommending any schools, but most schools offer better pay and conditions than EF.
SiThep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enkates wrote:
You might try the Kharisma Bangsa group of schools. The main one is just outside of Jakarta and so you may as well be in Jakarta. However, they have several others all over Java and even Borneo. They are a Turkish organization with some ties to a Turkish 'guru' who promotes education and general Turkish language and culture. Anyway, they're very decent Turkish gentlemen and ladies along with Indonesian faculty and staff, and interestingly staff and teachers from other Turkic 'stan' nations. It could be they are interested in hiring a native speaker to teach high school English. They will leave you alone if you happen not to be Muslim or a follower of their teacher. Moreover they operate in several other countries as well, Thailand, Russia and even in the U.S. as charter schools.

You have to be kidding me. This sounds like you are talking about the Turkish cult leader Fethullah Gulen. This man lives in exile in Pennsylvania in the United States and is virtually public enemy number 1 in Turkey. I have heard very bad reports about some of his schools in other parts of the world. Usually men and woman are strictly separated and the Gulen cult even tells people who to marry and they have to be ready to relocate anywhere in the world if Gulen requests. Now I know they hire some non-Gulen members to make the schools look a bit more normal but I can't believe this is the best option out there.
SiThep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
I'll look into it, thanks a lot!

By the way: I've noticed that there might be a standard of TEFL certificate necessary to satisfy the KITAS (CELTA or equivalent......which I lack). Is this usually a big deal?

Also.....5 years removed from you last degree? Really?

They must really be trying to keep us out.

A Masters in TESOL is a rare thing among English teachers in South-East Asia so I suggest you go for the top end of schools and stay away from the language mills. This will be harder if you want to avoid big cities. Is it only Jakarta you want to avoid or Surabaya, Medan and Bandung too?

If you are keen on Bali try the Bali Island School. It used to be called the Bali International School but they have been forced to remove the word 'international' from the name since the end of last year. The Education Department seems to dislike foreigners and does its best to make life difficult. There are no longer any 'international' schools in Indonesia officially. You could also try the Asian International School Bali. If you go to one of the language mills you should be prepared that most of the teachers and probably the managers too won't know much about linguistics and you will feel very overqualified for the position.

As far as I know the TEFL certificate doesn't have to be a CELTA but they might have changed the regulations again. If you are keen I would always try at the school level anyway because often contacts matter more than the letter of the law in South-East Asia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: