Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working for the Aberdeenshire school council ; Scotland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasisthereason

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Working for the Aberdeenshire school council ; Scotland Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Was considered for a position as a teacher for the Aberdeenshire school council (Scotland); I was curious to hear if anyone has had experience with them either good/bad?

Cheers,

texasisthrereason
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Aberdeenshire Reply with quote

I presume you mean Aberdeenshire Council, which is a local government authority, not a school council. Is the vacancy you applied for in a primary, secondary or special school? Where is it located?
texasisthereason

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a primary position; unsure of where it's located which is part of the confusion.

The start date is Aug 17th, but I've yet to receive a contract----- just a confirmation of a post.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Aberdeenshire Council Reply with quote

I'm surprised the location wasn't mentioned at interview. You should have signed a contract by now. Where and when was the interview held?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit to some curiosity based on your username regarding your nationality and whether this might be a scam...
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Scam? Reply with quote

Yes, hence my questions about the interview. I smell a rat.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also feel it is rather suspicious if you haven't signed/received a contract
yet because Scottish primary schools start their academic year on 17th August.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Scam? Reply with quote

It could be legit; the Aberdeenshire Council has previously recruited probationer teachers from Canada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-23432418
texasisthereason

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, thought it was a scam. But the emails are definitely from the .gov UK kind and there has not been any request for financial information.

I am an American citizen and explained this matter upfront; I was told that I would be placed on a 2 year sponsored visa (Tier 2 methinks);

The location part and looming start date of Aug 17th is what concerns me; but I was told that processing my credentials and Criminal Background Check from every country I've worked in could take up to 12 weeks. How the school will go that long without a teacher is a bit confusing to me; but I assume they know what they are doing.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Aberdeenshire Council Reply with quote

The council runs 150 primary schools. They should be able to find cover until you arrive.

https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/schools/our_schools/allschools.asp?schooltype=pri
darkside1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/aug/26/northern-scotland-suffering-teacher-shortage-with-300-posts-unfilled

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-34061901

I've been working in the state education sector in Scotland since returning from KSA in 2003. Previously in Special Needs now as an EAL teacher.

I can confirm councils in the North of Scotland are suffering teacher recruitment shortages (see articles in links). If recruited you may be able to negotiate accommodation or other benefits as part of the package.

It is also possible to find temporary aka 'supply' teaching positions in urban local authority areas across West and Central Scotland as there are shortages here too.

While by no means an easy job - especially if you are a supply teacher - state schools provide a solid salary and there are often opportunities for free or subsidised CPD.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn’t necessarily be a scam as darkside1 says; I came across people of all nationalities (US, Canada, South Africa, Nigeria amongst others) when working in primary in London a few years ago. Isn’t there supposed to be a surplus of qualified teachers now, or is it just certain subject areas? Can never keep up!
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aberdeen and Moray are two local authorities which are actively trying to recruit qualified teachers. Teachers from EU and Canada as well as elsewhere have been welcomed. Registration with the General Teacching Council Scotland is a requirement,The problem in Aberdeen is finding affordable accommodation. In Moray the local authority is offering a deal on accommodation.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The council is

Aberdeenshire Council. There is also Aberdeen City Council. Scotland has 32 unitary local authorities that recruit for schools in their area. There are helpful sites like this -

https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/councils/aberdeenshire-council
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: