Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for job leads starting in summer/fall '16
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhatter109

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Looking for job leads starting in summer/fall '16 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm an American ESL/EFL instructor and my wife is French. I'm currently teaching ESL here in the USA and wanting to get across the pond so that my wife can be closer to her family. I've done a bit of research on working in France through this website, and realize it's going to be tricky. Thought I'd open a thread here just in case anyone comes across any job leads or tips.

I have an MA-TESL and six years teaching experience both abroad and inside the USA. Thanks in advance for any tips or leads! Smile

Thanks,
-Mad Hatter
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much work in summer (especially August) but there is certainly a lot of private business school/university work available. It's doubtful many universities would employ you if you're not already in France so it'd be wise to be here in April/May in order to secure work for the coming semester. Of course, it's quite easy to get private language school work but that's not paid as well.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
There isn't much work in summer (especially August) but there is certainly a lot of private business school/university work available. It's doubtful many universities would employ you if you're not already in France so it'd be wise to be here in April/May in order to secure work for the coming semester. Of course, it's quite easy to get private language school work but that's not paid as well.

Hi Nicky,

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any advice on websites (French or English) that have jobs posted for EFL in France or is it mostly word of mouth?

Also, I was thinking of maybe Strasbourg, Lyon or Nancy since we have lots of friends in those cities. Do you have any recommendations on places to look?

Thanks again,
-Mad Hatter
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any websites, I'm afraid. Speculative applications for jobs are common in France so often an available position will not be specifically advertised. I live in the North (someone has to!) so don't know the situation in those other cities. If I were you I'd just send as many CVs as possible to private (not public as the hiring system is different) universities and schools (like engineering schools, for example) Once you get in somewhere, then you tend to get in other places. This is assuming you have the right to work in the EU but I guess that's something you'll look into.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Jobhunting in France Reply with quote

Try these:

TESOL France

http://www.tesol-france.org/en/

Pole Emploi

http://www.pole-emploi.fr/accueil/
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get mailouts from "Teaching jobs in France". You just need to email them requesting to be subscribed: [email protected]

I do get quite a lot at times, from all over France, so it's definitely worth adding your email to it. I got my last job last minute via this mailout actually, so who knows!
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of nobody who got any university job through answering an ad. TESOL France wants you to pay to get a full job list (if that's not a red flag then I don't know what is) and no decent employer I'm aware of would go to the unemployment office for a candidate. Speculative applications are the norm and I'd strongly advise any newbie in France to focus on that before looking for advertised positions.
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: EFL in France Reply with quote

Nicky, the OP didn't say that he was looking specifically for university work; he asked for websites with EFL vacancies.

You said you don't know of any websites, and yet you dismissed Pole Emploi out of hand. I've just searched their website for "Professeur d'anglais" vacancies and found 148, of which two are at universities in Savoie and Brittany respectively. Whether any of the positions are what the OP is looking for is another matter.

There's nothing suspicious about TESOL France; they simply charge for access to their job list. The OP seems mature enough to decide whether or not to avail himself of that service.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then TESOL France are a bunch of rip-off merchants aren't they? Charging you for the right to look at an advertised job... That was my point.

If the OP is looking for a well-paid job then he should be looking for university work. Otherwise he'll end up getting a job in a place like Wall Street with crap pay and be bitter about his experience in France forever after.

What I should have said is that there are no websites offering the kind of decent university positions you can get through speculative applications. I had a look at the pole emploi and they're, generally, not offering good positions.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going to get a work visa as an American?
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP's wife is French.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
The OP's wife is French.

Makes no difference work wise just makes it easier to live there. He would still need a work visa and for US citizens getting a work visa with an army of Brits just over the water who are qualified for the job is almost impossible. There is the possibility of going auto - entrepreneur though.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Working in France Reply with quote

He'll be able to work legally once he gets a residence card.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Working in France Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
He'll be able to work legally once he gets a residence card.

Last I heard a non - European who married an EU citizen had to wait at least two years before they would be legal to work.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
The OP's wife is French.

Makes no difference work wise just makes it easier to live there. He would still need a work visa and for US citizens getting a work visa with an army of Brits just over the water who are qualified for the job is almost impossible. There is the possibility of going auto - entrepreneur though.

I'm no expert but a cursory glance at the rules says that he can work. Anyway, he's asking about teaching not visas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: