Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's the job market where you are?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote

Quote:
They know men come to Poland because of women and or grog

Please don't tar every male teacher with the same sordid brush. I worked as a visiting research fellow at both the Medical University in Warsaw and the Jagiellonian University Medical College in Krakow and I never witnessed anything like this amongst my colleagues.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Maybe Delph has a slight interest. I think, however, the two or three of us on here who actually live, work and are content in Poland, get sick of crap from people who haven't/don't live and work here.

Couldn't say it better myself.

I have a slight interest, but not financial - merely that I'd like to work with sensible people that aren't highly annoying or inept.

What dedicated says is very true - tarring all men in Poland as booze addicted skirt chasers simply isn't true and is pretty offensive.

At the end of the day, it's what you make of it. If you choose to blame everyone else for the industry being crap while trying to work as a bottom-level teacher in a language school, then of course it will be crap because it's entry level. If you register a company, target corporate clients and organise very professional training day

A friend just moved to Poland 6 months ago. The guy is run off his feet with teaching work, and he's so highly regarded to the point where he's already been offered several very good jobs in business simply because he's so competent at what he does. The last offer his way was 13k gross as a senior project manager - and this was entirely based around being a thoroughly competent business English teacher with a sound background in business. His rate - with an invoice - is now starting at 100zl/hour with a premium for desirable hours (6:30-09:00 and 15:00-17:00).

A bit of flair, a bit of showmanship and very sound subject knowledge gets you a long way.

Some might find it easier to live in the Middle East as mere teachers, and I don't blame them for it. But I've been in Croatia for two weeks - and all I can say is that the heat is killing me. How anyone could survive 35c+ for more than two weeks is entirely beyond me :/

(And yes, the air conditioning has been on non-stop)
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Register a company lmfao. You mean set up your one-man 'school' because you have to because the schools were all pursuing dodgy tax practices. 'Invoice companies' like that's a new idea. You mean 'do privates' just like 20 years ago. Premium rates at what-time-o'clock? And you trump it all by telling us how you can make 13k a month if you stop teaching and become a project manager (did that in Libya) ie there's no hope in teaching.

Leave Poland to the youngsters. They've missed the bus but don't know it.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you even work for language schools if anyone with half a brain can sell directly to companies? You'd have to be an absolute fool to register a one-man business just to work with language schools - especially as you can simply undercut many of them and work with businesses directly.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
How many women post on this forum? There you go. When it comes to forums the Polish one is a sausage fest because English and American women, who can't compete, go to Spain and later when they're really desperate, the Middle East, where they are fawned upon by gagging-for-it, any-hole's-a-goal locals.

Seriously, those old-fashioned, sexist comments are straight out of the 1950s and 60s. Did it occur to you that many English and American women just don't have any interest in teaching in Poland? Besides, Americans will find it difficult to impossible to get work in Poland, Spain, and other EU countries. And as for English and American women being "desperate" and heading to the Mid East to be fawned over by men, that's nonsense. The majority of western teachers ---men and women---are attracted to the region for religious, financial, familial, professional, and/or cultural reasons.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
Why would you even work for language schools if anyone with half a brain can sell directly to companies? You'd have to be an absolute fool to register a one-man business just to work with language schools - especially as you can simply undercut many of them and work with businesses directly.
That's all well and good for you limeys, but non-EU citizens have to get 1 school to take out a work permit on their behalf, even if they open their own companies. It's a really stupid, nonsensical rule, seeing as how the whole point of opening a business is that you can have multiple clients and not be tied to one particular school.

So you need to find one solid, core school willing to get a work permit for you, usually in exchange for you doing a significant number of teaching hours every week for the school.

delphian-domine wrote:
The majority of western teachers ---men and women---are attracted to the region for religious, financial, familial, professional, and/or cultural reasons.
That may well be true, but you're just making the same kind of sweeping, unsupported generalizations as dragonpiwo.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

So it's pretty hard for the Americans.

The thing with this setting up a company is ZUS after 2 years I think it is, you have to pay 1500 a month whether you teach or not. On top of the rent and living costs, that means you give 3000/month away right there at least. Now, I've taught in-company and my classes took 3 weeks off last Christmas. Then there's Easter and summer to worry about.

Outside Warsaw, where the work offered is less and the competition fierce, that's a tough call. Empik offer Business English at 100/hour, so you have to undercut that price.

Let's say you go for 90/hour and do 20 a week. That's what? Gross 7,200 minus tax, zus, rent, food, czyncz, phone, petrol (running around to privates) and other living costs. You won't be left with more than 100/day.
Good luck with that.

And Nomad, go to Poland and see all the guys then make a comment. The bars are full of them and the coffee shops too. Are you seriously suggesting women aren't fawned upon in the Middle East? C'mon. I've lived in Qatar, Saudi, Kuwait and the nicest country of the lot. Expat women have a much better time of it and are not unlike the guys in Poland. Yes, they go there for money like everyone else but...... Wink you know.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.
Go to Morocco and you will find it similar except that it is the women who can
be there for the opposite sex.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Nomad Reply with quote

Find me a British male who went to Poland for the religion, money, familial reasons and I'll eat my hat. Men go to Poland because they've heard it's a laugh and entry level jobs are easy to get. They stay because, like DD, they have a wife who is way, way outta their league. We're talking Arbroath and Rangers in that particular case.

In my case it's Barcelona Chelsea. Smile
chuckMC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this negative talk about Poland is killing me. I feel like leaving Poland now. Maybe I can cheer myself up by listening to Delph tell us how Poland is the greatest country in the world. Very Happy
dynow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He certainly would be the man to do it!

In a single paragraph, he'll have you right back on track. Suddenly, the weather won't be lousy, the high prices will be the same as everywhere else, there will be plentiful employment opportunities making it downright silly for even a Pole to leave, leasing a race car will be dirt cheap, and there will be black people as far as the eye can see Cool
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And think of all that Wyborowa !
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Wyborowa so mainstream these days in hipster Poland. If you aren't sat on a pallet drinking goatee beards's finest pale ale, infused with juniper, from a jar at a silent disco, then you ain't got your finger on the pulse.
Rusty77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: job scene Reply with quote

There are some exceptions, but I think that Dragon Piwo is right--the job market is pretty daft, especially for newcomers. If you're already established here it's do-able (I know, I've made this point many times, sorry guys you're probably sick of hearing it), but even then it's still a pain at times. Exploring my options for the coming year, I went to an interview at a private school in the Warsaw area on Tuesday, they offered 50 PLN per hour (gross). And yet I wasn't that surprised by this. It seems to be the standard rate. (After taxes that'll be about 35 per hour, based on a 25 hour work week about 2,500 monthly take home) not exactly a respectable wage in the capital area. I think I'll stick with the writing gigs and free-lancing this coming year.
And the rosy economic numbers (reductions in the official unemployment rate, 10 years of consecutive economic growth, etc), yeah they're there and they're encouraging, but they don't reflect the average Pole's reality. It's still a place where many people, even those who are well-educated and ambitious, struggle to find well-paying work due to excessive competition for the good jobs and non-competitive wages even in jobs that require a high-level of ed. I think the numbers are slightly embellished by the fact that there are several hundred thousand Poles (a full million, perhaps?) who still officially reside in Poland but are actually working abroad for part of the year or even for most of the year. Because they are not looking for work in Poland, they are not counted in the official unemployment numbers.
Rusty77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: registering private company Reply with quote

...woah--just re-read that comment about dating out of our (my) league?? Speak for yourself, Dragon Laughing My lovely lady is even older than I am, and I didn't see any heads a-turnin' when I took her back to North America to meet the family (I'm with her for her money); Poland is just like anywhere else: young women in large cities (all over the world) are strikingly beautiful these days, but Father Time catches up with all of us (even the young Polish beauties) eventually; but getting back to the working conditions and registering your own company--can you actually DO that as a non EU-citizen? Is 1,500 the standard ZUS payment, or does that depend on revenue or registration status?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: