Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1300 USD in Warsaw
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: 1300 USD in Warsaw Reply with quote

Hello,

I hAve a second interview with a school in Warsaw which is offering 1300 usd a month before tax - is this a good salary for Warsaw? What are rental costs like for a small 1 bedroom apartment?

TIA
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I hope you like eating instant noodles.
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give more info?
chuckMC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummy instant noodles! Very Happy

1300 USD in PLN is (as of Aug 15th) ~4900. That's an average wage in Warsaw. Remember though, you will not be paid for public holidays, vacations, sick days, and some cancelled classes. How many classes do you have to teach for that amount of money? Maybe you should think about working for other schools and/or adding some private lessons to your schedule.

In addition: After tax that will be around 3500 PLN. Rent for 1 bedroom is roughly 2000 PLN. I think you have to share a flat.
Rusty77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: livable wage in Wawa Reply with quote

Eliot: it's a "great" offer, if you're planning on teaching and living in Warsaw from Sept.1st to June 30th. If you're on a plane to a more lucrative job in the Middle East or Asia the first week of July next year, it'll be fine. Very Happy Sadly, as MC said, it's a normal offer for Warsaw. I guess how much you enjoy the year depends on your age and on your expectations. Just don't expect to save much money or to spend too many evenings in Warsaw's restaurants or pubs. Seriously, if it's 4800 PLN per month it's do-able (you can get decent small flat for 2,000 PLN per month), but you won't be living the high life. Try to pick up some privates to get you through the (un-paid) MONTH surrounding Christmas and the up-teen long weekends (where you also lose earnings).
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: A livable wage Reply with quote

Hi Eliot,

4,900 zloty is a livable wage in Warsaw. As others have mentioned, you won't be living the high life (do teachers ever?), but I was on quite a bit less when I started teaching in Gdansk in 2006 and managed just fine. You'll be able to spend evenings in restaurants and pubs, just not the expensive ones and not every night of the week!

2,000 zloty a month will rent you a small apartment near the center of Warsaw, and it gets cheaper if you go further out. I paid 1,200 + bills to live in Praga, still only a 15 min commute from the center. It really helps if you get a Polish person to help you look for a place, or go through an agent who speaks English.

People are assuming that your salary will be less in months with holidays. If this is the case, you'll need to take this into consideration.

Good luck!

-Shake
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Basically it's C4,000 net minus rent and bills. That is absolutely a poverty wage in a modern, European capital city.

I was in Warsaw a while back. Me and the missus had a Thai meal and it was the best part of 500. A Guiness was 16. You'll have to live like a backpacker. I can't believe anyone is a-entertaining this and b-being encouraged to do so. You'll be flat broke all of the time.

Maybe mummy will send you food parcels and pay for your flight home every year.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a reasonable entry level job. It takes time and local contacts and rep to build up to better paying gigs in this part of the world.

And as dragonpiwo constantly points out, if you have a need to live like Donald Trump - and to trumpet about it - this isn't the best part of the world to settle in.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Let's find out how many hours he's doing before you suggest privates.Normal people go to Thai restaurants with their wives and drink Guiness. 70 PLN/day after rent and tax. Really? I mean REALLY? In EUROPE? In 2015?

You're defending that? Are you the recruiter?

They should just be honest and have an ad that goes something like this.

WANTED, NOT DEAD BUT BARELY ALIVE WILL DO

Gullible fool wanted for language school in 'the Paris of Central Europe'. The ideal candidate will be a newly-qualified, naive American, who is prepared to teach anywhere between 6am and 9pm. The school will provide you with no accommodation or visa, will fiddle your taxes, swindle you out of any money they can, if and when they pay you and then summarily fire you when the female director is having a bad day.Free internet and coffee on the premises and useless workshops which involve Mr Bean and lessons with songs. Babysitting TEYL certification is an advantage. Come to the land of Chopin and experience the Polish reality.

Last edited by dragonpiwo on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry level. Most people don't stay there. It's a fair enough offer for entry level, as noted above.

If the OP expects to support a wife who requires Thai food and imported beer, right away when he first arrives in the country, then it's fair to suggest he look elsewhere.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I think that subject defining relative clause is insinuating something which is quite inappropriate.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I was in Warsaw a while back. Me and the missus had a Thai meal and it was the best part of 500. A Guiness was 16.

I imagine most people in the world aren't eating 500zl meals and drinking Guinness. It's not normal at all.

Quote:
If the OP expects to support a wife who requires Thai food and imported beer, right away when he first arrives in the country, then it's fair to suggest he look elsewhere.

Yes, someone expecting an entry-level job to pay for that kind of lifestyle...well, it's not happening anywhere.

By the way, you can eat Michelin-starred food in Warsaw for around 500zl for two people in Atelier Amaro (which will get a 2nd star sooner rather than later, I'm sure). If a no-star Thai cost you the best part of 500zl, then... well...
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that subject defining relative clause is insinuating something which is quite inappropriate.

There have been a number of inappropriate insinuations on the Poland forums related to the types of teachers who do/don't teach in the country.

The OP has a reasonable entry-level offer. It is unlikely he is married to a woman who requires expensive foods and imported beers. It's more appropriate to focus on the OP's situation in this case than yours, dragonpiwo.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The applicant should take vows of poverty, chastity and obedience.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

So I'll say it explicitly. YOU GOTTA BE OUT OF YOUR TINY MIND TO THINK OF LIVING IN A EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY ON 70 PLN A DAY. WOULD YOU LIVE IN WASHINGTON DC OR LONDON ON $18 A DAY? IF SO, HOW WOULD YOU LIVE?

ENTRY LEVEL OR NO ENTRY LEVEL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: