Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polish job market in January?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Polish job market in January? Reply with quote

I understand that September is the main hiring season in Poland, but I am considering Poland as my destination to go in January once I have my TEFL certification.

I'm a 22 year old from Scotland and have just graduated from University a few months ago. I also have no teaching experience.

So far what I've read regarding the market in Poland has been very polarizing to say the least. I'm just curious to know what my chances would be of finding a job in Warsaw (or any city to be honest) in January would be like?

Any info would be great Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Bad time. Winter holiday is at the end of Jan sometime. Language schools have people who don't come back for the second semester, which starts after winter break and then you got Easter round the corner, followed by schools closing at the end of June until October. However, there are some posts on tefl.com right now. Welcome to poverty.

That is all factual info.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that sucks.

Thanks for the information though.

Would this account for most European countries? Or is Poland especially bad due to the late winter break?

Also... I understand that private teaching/tutoring is done a lot by TEFL'ers when school is out of session. Would this be a potential source of income during the long summer holiday, or should I just avoid January altogether and go elsewhere?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some sensible advice.

- Get the CELTA, as well as spending a year getting experience in Scotland. If you volunteer in a school/nursery one day a week, it will help you immensely when it comes to finding decent work. There's a lack of people in Poland that can teach children, and the hours are more normal.

- It might be possible to find work in January, but don't count on it - it's always going to be a struggle to find a full time job then. I did it once, but I wouldn't fancy my chances of doing it again.

- Summer holidays - the money is in summer camp work somewhere. Can be in Poland, can be elsewhere.

But have you considered trying to get one of the poor entry-level jobs in Poland while getting the CELTA next summer instead? It might be a better idea, as it will give you some experience before getting the CELTA qualification.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
Here's some sensible advice.

- Get the CELTA, as well as spending a year getting experience in Scotland. If you volunteer in a school/nursery one day a week, it will help you immensely when it comes to finding decent work. There's a lack of people in Poland that can teach children, and the hours are more normal.

But have you considered trying to get one of the poor entry-level jobs in Poland while getting the CELTA next summer instead? It might be a better idea, as it will give you some experience before getting the CELTA qualification.

Actually, I wasn't sure whether or not to do a TEFL course or the CELTA course (the only reason I'm leaning towards TEFL is that I've already paid a non-refundable deposit for a TEFL course with the International TEFL Academy).

However, from what I've read online CELTA seems a lot higher standard.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only two qualifications (apart from degree-level ones) that count - CELTA and the Trinity TESOL. Everything else is toilet paper, to be frank.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA or Trinity equivalent course, so long as it's clearly presented on a CV and covering letter as being 120 hours on site and including supervised teaching practice, is recognized by most employers on the continent.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Forget any online cert. Might help you in Poland, might not. However, when you've had enough of being poor, you'll want to move and then you're 'fcuked' as the t-shirt says..
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the OP was considering any online course, but what dragonpiwo says here is correct; they don't meet the standard basic entry level requirements on most job markets.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I don't think the OP was considering any online course, but what dragonpiwo says here is correct; they don't meet the standard basic entry level requirements on most job markets.

Yeah, I wasn't wanting to do an online course but instead a standard 120-hour 4-week TEFL course.

However, I do seem to be finding that a CELTA would be a lot better.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Why don't you do the CELTA in Poland. If you've committed elsewhere, get a refund. Usually they'll hook you up with a job.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Why don't you do the CELTA in Poland. If you've committed elsewhere, get a refund. Usually they'll hook you up with a job.

IH Wrocław has a decent reputation, and people on the course who can get a satisfactory reference from the tutors can often find work somewhere while still on the course.

Did you ever bother with the CELTA, dragonpiwo?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

Yep. Did a CTEFLA in 1995. CELTA replaced it some years later.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:

IH Wrocław has a decent reputation, and people on the course who can get a satisfactory reference from the tutors can often find work somewhere while still on the course.

Did you ever bother with the CELTA, dragonpiwo?

I've just looked up their website and it looks good, it also is actually (a little) cheaper than most CELTA courses I've seen.

Would doing a CELTA course (instead of just any old TEFL course) increase my chances of being able to find work in January?

I was even considering saving up a bit more money and casting my net wider, so that come January and getting a qualification I could maybe travel around if I was unable to find work in Poland.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Yes, do the CELTA. IH WRoclaw would be a sound move if you are hellbent on Poland.
January is a tough call. Why January and why Poland?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: