Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conversation Assistant Programme? Help please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Conversation Assistant Programme? Help please! Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I am currently looking into getting TEFL qualified and teaching English, and looking into different countries.

This past weekend I applied via Gumtree for a TEFL opportunity in Spain. I can't remember exactly what the ad said, however, I was slightly suspicious because it mentioned something about a free TEFL training which seemed strange.

They have emailed me back today and it turns out it is a Conversation Assistant Programme, which involves being an assistant in teaching English in children's schools. It is not a paid job, however, you get free accomodation/food and a monthly stipend.

At first I thought this seemed a bit unusual, but I have seen similar programmes online for other countries.

I'm a bit curious to know if anyone on here has heard of these sorts of programmes in Spain and if they are good?

Any advice would be great Very Happy
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an endless and slightly glorified summer camp gig. How many months would you like to spend living (where?) and being paid a very small stipend?

This is not a real job - and will do absolutely zero for your CV in the long run, unless you LOVE kiddies and decide to go teach them in Asia, where what you describe above is a norm (except you get paid for real).
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Sounds like an endless and slightly glorified summer camp gig. How many months would you like to spend living (where?) and being paid a very small stipend?

This is not a real job - and will do absolutely zero for your CV in the long run, unless you LOVE kiddies and decide to go teach them in Asia, where what you describe above is a norm (except you get paid for real).

The email and information I received from them said it would be either Valencia or Barcelona.

The only reason I would consider it is because with the free accomodation/food, stipend and with my own savings I would not really be hard pushed for money if I chose to do it.

Are you sure this really has no benefit in terms of CV? Even if looked at as a gap-year kind of thing, and not a way to launch into teaching professionally?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're only looking at a gap year, it's probably ok. If you want to teach later on, don't expect this to impress any possible new employers. It all depends on what your plans are.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
If you're only looking at a gap year, it's probably ok. If you want to teach later on, don't expect this to impress any possible new employers. It all depends on what your plans are.

It's primarily a gap year (which is why I'm currently very tempted because this programme is very soon and requires very little in the way of planning).

I really want to try and get to grips with a language through TEFL or otherwise, so if I did decide to do more teaching after this programme I would probably want to teach in Spain in which case I would invest in getting a CELTA first.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Spiral on everything other that it doing nothing for your CV (I genuinely fail to see why it wouldn't be positive especially for someone with no prior experience).

What you've been offered, on the face of it, doesn't seem like a great deal. You have to ask yourself, would you accept a job that only paid enough to cover accommodation and food (you don't say how much the stipend is)? This is especially the case as work is relatively easy to come by in Spanish cities (especially Madrid). Of all the people who were on my CELTA at IH Madrid in 2006, none of them struggled to find work.

I left Spain in 2008 but still have friends in Madrid (and visit a couple of times a year). Work is still easy to come by (qualifications are not necessary for most jobs). I think I read on the France forum (I'll come back to that) that you're Scottish. TEFL Scotland do a weekend TEFL course that you can even get free with an ILA voucher. CELTA seems like overkill for a year's teaching in Spain and, for me, isn't worth it unless you're in it for the long term. A shorter TEFL course will give you the confidence (and employability) you need.

My advice, would be to just go to Spain asap and start looking for work. September if possible, but work is still around in October.

By the way, I noticed you posted in the France forum about Paris. For a gap year kind of job I'd choose Spain every time. Paris is hellishly expensive.
Grimace420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAPS Home to Home?
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
I agree with Spiral on everything other that it doing nothing for your CV (I genuinely fail to see why it wouldn't be positive especially for someone with no prior experience).

What you've been offered, on the face of it, doesn't seem like a great deal. You have to ask yourself, would you accept a job that only paid enough to cover accommodation and food (you don't say how much the stipend is)? This is especially the case as work is relatively easy to come by in Spanish cities (especially Madrid). Of all the people who were on my CELTA at IH Madrid in 2006, none of them struggled to find work.

I left Spain in 2008 but still have friends in Madrid (and visit a couple of times a year). Work is still easy to come by (qualifications are not necessary for most jobs). I think I read on the France forum (I'll come back to that) that you're Scottish. TEFL Scotland do a weekend TEFL course that you can even get free with an ILA voucher. CELTA seems like overkill for a year's teaching in Spain and, for me, isn't worth it unless you're in it for the long term. A shorter TEFL course will give you the confidence (and employability) you need.

My advice, would be to just go to Spain asap and start looking for work. September if possible, but work is still around in October.

By the way, I noticed you posted in the France forum about Paris. For a gap year kind of job I'd choose Spain every time. Paris is hellishly expensive.

Thanks for all of the info! I mean it, I'm really grateful for all the advice I get on here.

I understand that a CELTA could be over-kill. But would a weekend course really make me employable in Spain? And in October as well?

If Spain in October is do-able then I would consider it. The main reason why I'm seriously considering the Assistant programme is because I'm guaranteed 9-months or so in Spain, rather than risking not finding work in October (I doubt I'd be able to get things sorted in time for September) or having to wait till next year.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace420 wrote:
CAPS Home to Home?

Yes I've checked their email and that's what they're called. Do you know much about them or heard anything good or bad?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Ruaridh321 wrote:
Are you sure this really has no benefit in terms of CV? Even if looked at as a gap-year kind of thing, and not a way to launch into teaching professionally?

I agree with Spiral. This type of cultural-exchange experience might be a minor plus on your CV if you're focusing on a TEFL job at a language school in Spain. However, employers in other countries will very likely want to see experience that mirrors professional teaching in the context of a paid job. In fact, even a semester-long, teaching practicum in a university degree program (in which the trainee is supervised, assessed/graded, and held accountable to a set of requirements and standards) isn't viewed as experience.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which involves being an assistant in teaching English in children's schools.

As I noted earlier, if the OP wants to teach children longer term, this might be useful. However, as much of the entry-level work across the European continent is with adult businesspeople, it won't help. It's an assistant position - so a potential employer can't even assume lesson planning or classroom management experience. It's kids - one niche of the market that applies very different approaches and methods than other EFL contexts.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:

Thanks for all of the info! I mean it, I'm really grateful for all the advice I get on here.

I understand that a CELTA could be over-kill. But would a weekend course really make me employable in Spain? And in October as well?

If Spain in October is do-able then I would consider it. The main reason why I'm seriously considering the Assistant programme is because I'm guaranteed 9-months or so in Spain, rather than risking not finding work in October (I doubt I'd be able to get things sorted in time for September) or having to wait till next year.

There were about twelve people on my CELTA course, one of whom was illegal (US) and one who dropped out with a day to go (therefore had nothing as you're not going to put that on your CV) and none of them had any trouble finding work. A friend of mine did the TEFL Scotland course and easily got work in Madrid. The TEFL Scotland course is more for you to make you confident and might help with some employers.. I know plenty of teachers in Madrid with no qualifications.

I'm not a risk taker but I wouldn't see trying to get work in Madrid as a risk as there are loads of places with vacancies. Lack of qualifications might slightly limit you but most places can't be so fussy. Obviously, it's up to you but I think the program you're considering is a bad deal (alarms bells should be ringing due to the fact they're having to recruit outside Spain). One of the joys of Spain is the cafe/bar culture and you'll miss all that.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
I am currently looking into getting TEFL qualified and teaching English, and looking into different countries.

You've posted your inquiries in quite a few country forums.

At 22 years of age (and assuming you have at least a BA), what are your plans/goals in terms of TEFL? Are they short term for a year or two, or are you looking for something long term as a possible career? Additionally, what are your target countries?
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's already said that he's looking to do it as a gap year.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
He's already said that he's looking to do it as a gap year.

However, the OP didn't mention gap year in the other country forums, which is why I asked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: