Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Might Help Americans Get Visas For Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: What Might Help Americans Get Visas For Spain Reply with quote

An American friend of mine was taken in by a scam offering her the chance to get a Spanish visa online if she paid £500. I warned her-they had been at me too, and I am a British citizen!
But what would make it easier for North Americans?
The Conservative Party, in its wisdom has decided to allow a referendum on whether Britain should leave the EU. It is by no means a foregone conclusion that we will stay in. I WANT us to stay in, because I believe in some of the EU's ideals. But what if we leave completely? I would find my rights to teach in Spain were somewhat more restricted. It would be harder to get a residence permit (permiso de residencia), D.N.I. or social security number. I have these already, but if the U.K. really voted to leave, we would be excluded from the EU's rules regarding free movement of people. And as some of us know, one of the main complaints the eurosceptics are making is that there are too many EU citizens in the U.K. already. If we voted to kick them out it would be reciprocal-I would have to get a visa for Spain. Thus British and Americans would be in the same situation and more visas for North Americans would be issued. It would not be an ideal situation for the UK. But as they say, it's an ill wind that blows no good.
With things as they stand, it is still possible to go as a classroom assistant, for example through MEDEAS or something like that. You would get a student visa and could teach some private lessons on the side. It's possible, and I know people from the U.S. and Canada who have been successful at this.
People who have recent EU ancestry, Irish parents or grandparents, for example, can apply for an EU passport, but most Americans are not in that category.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Citizenship of EU member states Reply with quote

Quote:
People who have recent EU ancestry, Irish parents or grandparents, for example, can apply for an EU passport, but most Americans are not in that category.

There is no such thing as an EU passport. Each member state issues its own passport and has its own conditions for eligibility. Having Irish grandparents is relevant only for applications for Irish citizenship.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt JRJohn meant a "passport from a an EU member country," and thought that we would understand his meaning when he shortened the somewhat unwieldy phrase. While incorrect, it's a commonly used phrase on this forum and elsewhere. The meaning is clear, since everyone knows that there no such thing as a passport issued by a group of countries.

spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I wish the OP had been clearer that this is all extremely speculative and by no means a concrete possibility. I think that many starry-eyed newbies reading here may interpret this as a near term possibility.
JRJohn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

By E.U. passport, I did mean a passport from an EU country, which entitles its user to easy residency in the other EU member states.

Britain leaving the EU is a speculative possibility, albeit rendered more likely by the forthcoming referendum. We will be asked whether we want to leave the EU completely. If the answer is YES, the right wing south of England will be able to stop unemployed people coming here from Spain, Italy and Poland to work.
But it would make it harder for language schools in Spain to recruit U.K. citizens. We would be in the same situation as Americans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: