Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Heaven: Anyone know about them?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: TEFL Heaven: Anyone know about them? Reply with quote

Hi guys. I'm looking into doing TEFL and am trying to research and look into TEFL in as many countries as possible to help me make up my mind.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any knowledge of TEFL Heaven? www.teflheaven.co.uk

They have several programs, in Costa Rica and also Vietnam but I'm mainly interested in their Thailand one.

It does look like they 'guarantee' jobs for degree-holders and I'm not 100% sure how this works/how they guarantee, but the website seems legit and I have spoken with some of their staff via email.

I'd be curious to hear opinions on here Smile

Thanks for any info
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand is truly amazing...you will have a great time getting your TEFL there at TEFL Heaven....you can find a job no problem there are hundreds of schools looking for native English teachers everywhere in the Land of Smiles! Very Happy
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a UK passport, a degree and a pulse then simply get on a plane and be here in Oct or April and get a job.

Chances are that, unless you are as ugly as Quasimodo or as old as dirt, you will have a job within 7 days of landing.

You WILL need to bring your degree, academic transcript, and a police check (ACRO).

No experience and no TEFL needed (although a TEFL course may help you with the learning curve as you become a teacher).

Having a couple grand in your pocket is a good thing to tide you over till payday.

TEFL heaven assures you a salary of 25k per month.... generic jobs start at 30k and for native speakers it is not hard to find jobs at 35-40 these days. You can bet that TEFL Heaven is getting a 5k kickback from your employer.

Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, finally some good news about a country that I want to go to, I might cry!

This sounds very encouraging.

The TEFL Heaven website seems to imply that it is still relatively easy to find a job during term-time (i.e, out-with Oct/April hiring peak). Is this true?

Also, something I've been curious to know, what exactly is the deal in Thailand with visas? Do most TEFL'ers work under the table, or is it more common to have your employer sponsor you?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you NEED to get a work permit to legally teach in the Land of Smiles. However, in order to get one you need to enter the country with a non-immigrant "B" category visa (unless you are married to a Thai national a Non-Immigrant "O" visa will be sufficient. If you enter the country with no visa you will be issued a visa on arrival for only 30 days only. Your sponsor will arrange all the necessary paperwork for you so you can get your work permit. Thai immigration has recently cracked down on native English speakers who wish to teach here illegally on a tourist visa...and if caught you may be fined, imprisoned or even deported after spending some time in the Farang monkey house. Enjoy Amazing Thailand!. Very Happy
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Ah, finally some good news about a country that I want to go to, I might cry!

This sounds very encouraging.

The TEFL Heaven website seems to imply that it is still relatively easy to find a job during term-time (i.e, out-with Oct/April hiring peak). Is this true?

Also, something I've been curious to know, what exactly is the deal in Thailand with visas? Do most TEFL'ers work under the table, or is it more common to have your employer sponsor you?

You can feel free to ignore the poster above. He is sitting back home rather than working abroad and usually talks trash.

Back to the topic at hand:

If you are outside of a tourist area you can usually find work most of the year.

Most language academies do NOT provide you with the necessary paperwork to support a visa application and will not be able to provide a work permit. Border runs (at your expense) are a common feature of working for one.

Schools on the other hand (government or private K-12) can provide the necessary paperwork to support your non-b visa application and work permit.

They do hire year round to fill gaps in faculty but the majority of jobs are found in April with a bump in October. The worst time to be looking is from Dec - March.

IF you were a home country certified teacher then other options are available with much better remuneration packages.

If you don't have a degree then this is moot since legal work won't happen.

MOST teachers arrive here on a 30-day tourist entry and soend some time getting acclimated and get the lay of the land.

They will usually pop over to an adjacent country to obtain a 60-day (single or double entry) tourist visa effectively giving them an additional 90-180 days in the country without worry of a non-immigrant "B" visa or work permit. (it is illegal to work on a tourist visa but the practice is pretty common).

When you find an employer who is willing to keep you on you will do a change of status (usually IN-COUNTRY) to a non-B visa. Your employer will then obtain a work permit for you. AFTER the work permit has been obtained you will then extend your non-b visa to the end of your contract or work permit.

You WILL need to bring some documents with you to enable you to obtain a visa and work permit. These include:
    Original of your degree.
    University issued transcript of records
    Police check (ACRO if you are from the UK).

If you do not have a passport from one of the major anglophone countries (UK, Ire, USA, Can, Aus, NZ) then you can add a TOEIC test to your list of required documents (minimum score is 600). Yes, SAFER's need a TOEIC to work in Thailand.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Suphanburi!

You mentioned that Dec-March is the worst time to look for a job. The next TEFL Heaven course with spaces is one that begins near the end of October, and finished on around the 20th November I think... Would this be an okay time to try and find work? I'm just not sure if because they 'guarantee' jobs to degree holders that they would be able to point me in the right direction to wherever would be hiring at that time?

Which brings me to my next question... I'm still not 100% how 'guaranteed job' TEFL programs work, but I'm presuming based on what someone said about them keeping a chunk of my salary that the are a recruiter-based program.

Can I trust them when asking them questions about the best time to arrive, the Visa process etc.... or should I take everything they say with a pinch of salt?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one TEFL provider who offered "job placement" in that you went to work for a school they were under contract to. They would provide you with a basic salary of 25k and they withheld your TEFL cert until you had completed at least one semester at said school at said underpaid salary levels. I won't say that it was your current choice of course provider because I honestly don't remember the name of the company.

If you really feel that giving up 15% of your wages for a year is worth having your hand held to do something that most kids straight out of uni can do on their own then feel free to sign up, pay for the course and give up an additional 15%.

IF you have the wherewithal that ghod gave to green apples then get on a plane and be here in Oct.

There are plenty of jobs to be had. The vast majority of them won't require that you have a generic TEFL cert from some generic agency working off the beach in a tourist destination. Most of the EFL work is teaching A,B,C's and conversational phrases to kids.

IF you decide after a semester or 2 that you actually like teaching then look at legitimate professional development and get out of entry level EFL. The difference is 130k/month + full expat benefits package vs 35k baht per month and no benefits.

Look at places like facebook or craigslist, google the Thai word for teacher (ajarn) for several job sites that won't ask you for money or sell you their TEFL course first.

It ain't rocket science.

Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information!

I think that if I were not to do TEFL Heaven I would maybe do a quick weekend course here in the UK or just something to prepare myself because I literally have zero teaching experience.

You mentioned border-runs and working on a tourist Visa.... Although I am comfortable working under the table as I'm not planning on doing this long-term, what exactly is the risk with working illegally in Thailand?

Are English teachers caught doing this a lot? Imprisoned? Deported? Or is that very unlikely?
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have a UK passport, a degree and a pulse then simply get on a plane and be here in Oct or April and get a job.

Chances are that, unless you are as ugly as Quasimodo or as old as dirt, you will have a job within 7 days of landing.

The OP should probably stop and take some time to consider the reasons behind this situation. Laughing
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:

The OP should probably stop and take some time to consider the reasons behind this situation. Laughing

Would you mind telling me what the reasons are? I've read a lot that in Thailand in terms of teaching English there is preference for people who are attractive/good personality etc, can entertain a class... or are you referring to something else?

Thanks Suphanburi for your info and advice.

Am I correct in assuming that in Thailand as long as you have a degree and are able to find a full-time teaching job, then your employer will help get you a work permit?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

If you want to become a successful EFL Farang teacher in the Land of Smiles than you must be or a become an excellent EDUTAINER. Not all Thai employers will help you get a work permit here but most will due to the recent tightening up of visa and work permit laws.....so if you take your chances working at a Thai school you may really enjoy the experience. The Thais do not want serious teachers...they want teachers who like to have i FUN n class and play games with them. If you come to Thailand to teach English it will be a truly amazing experience. By the way TEFL schools are everywhere to found here...so picking and choosing one is like shopping in a mall! Also make sure you bring enough money to support yourself at the beginning as Thailand is becoming more and more expensive by the day. Enjoy the Land of Smiles!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you mind telling me what the reasons are? I've read a lot that in Thailand in terms of teaching English there is preference for people who are attractive/good personality etc, can entertain a class... or are you referring to something else?

The point is that the high demand for teachers is the result of a host of factors that include low salaries, poor conditions, managerial ineptitude, low academic standards, poor economic climate, political instability, lack of safety and rule of law, xenophobia, dishonesty, incompetence, etc.

That's all. There's no mystery.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:

The point is that the high demand for teachers is the result of a host of factors that include low salaries, poor conditions, managerial ineptitude, low academic standards, poor economic climate, political instability, lack of safety and rule of law, xenophobia, dishonesty, incompetence, etc.

That's all. There's no mystery.

Thanks for the information.

I still am planning on potentially considering Thailand as an option, and if it is a complete disaster then not staying very long.

If anyone could clear up these two areas I would be very very grateful:

1) If I were to arrive in Thailand in October or April (most likely April) what would be my chances of finding an employer that would get me a work visa?

2) If I only plan on working in Thailand short-term (i.e less than a year) is working on a tourist visa still risky? How often are TEFL'ers imprisoned/deported for working illegally?

Any info would be great Very Happy And thanks for the tip regarding TEFL Heaven, I think they seem dodgy.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) IF you are qualified (have the correct paperwork) to get a visa and the common sense to avoid dodgy agencies then 100%.

2) That depend on who you piss-off. Zero chance until someone gets mad at you (or your employer) and files a complaint with the local immigration, labor or education office.

If the employer is high enough up the totem pole then no worry.
If they are not then you get a few days in a detention center before being shipped out at your expense (or held until you have the cash to pay for your exit).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: