Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why so many jobs advertised at HK universities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Why so many jobs advertised at HK universities? Reply with quote

Looking around SCMP and jobsdb.com I often see a lot of teaching jobs advertised. Why is this? High staff turnover....is it down to the students attitude...marking....curriculum...etc?
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay might be a contributing factor.....and also it is usually for different departments so whilst it looks like a lot, it isn't actually that many as it is spread across all faculties.
mnguy29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: HK teaching jobs? Reply with quote

On that topic, how do I find these University teaching jobs? Also, maybe the good high schools?
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCMP is your friend.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. That's unusual for HK.
alauw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to help.

I taught at one of the Unis in HK between 2012 and 2013. In my experience there appears to be a move towards replacing longer serving staff with 'cheaper' labour on temporary contracts. So you might find jobs that used to be taken by people with masters or PGCEs (or equivalent) now being done by (potentially under qualified) grads.

Staff who had been there for a number of years complained about yearly reductions in salaries/benefits (living allowance etc). I didn't stay for another year but was offered another 12 month contract, with a slight pay increase (in line with inflation i believe?) but with a 25% increase in workload. So I guess in short it's about the Unis getting more bang for their buck.

Not to be critical - I had a fantastic year teaching at the University, much preferred it to teaching at a private language academy in Spain and not staying on another year was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make, if not the hardest. While it sucks for the longer term staff, it is a way in for fresh meat.
Very Happy

Also you should be offered a contract which includes use of the University's facilities; doctor, dentist, gym, pool etc all subsidised/free. Whilst things may not be as good as they were in the past, it's still a pretty cushty job (once you get used to the teaching style required for HK freshman students).
nwtefl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So universities will advertise on SCMP and jobsdb ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: