Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Residente Permanente!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Residente Permanente! Reply with quote

As of yesterday, I am the holder of a Mexican Residente Permanente card. I qualified by virtue of living and working here for four years. Getting the card is quite the process, but it is done! A permanent resident is just a couple of inches shy of being a citizen, and for all intents and purposes is treated like a citizen:

"Once you have the Residente Permanente visa, you are never required to renew it and are permitted to remain in the country (with unlimited right to come and go) until either YOU decide to leave permanently, until you die, or until you do something to get yourself deported."

​It feels like a bigger deal than I thought it would. In a very real sense, I belong to two countries now, and this one obviously has far more of an impact on my day-to-day life. Although I have reasonably complained about the difficulty of making friends here (or anywhere international, really), it must be said that Mexico has accepted me, fully and officially, and I am grateful for that. It is great to look at a card without an expiration date.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that also give you more rights in terms of where you can work? That is, can you work in other settings outside of a school? Do you still have to report when you change job? Sounds like it will make a lot of things easier in the long run, so congrats on that milestone.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Does that also give you more rights in terms of where you can work? That is, can you work in other settings outside of a school? Do you still have to report when you change job? Sounds like it will make a lot of things easier in the long run, so congrats on that milestone.

I suppose it might. I am officially "independientemente" now, though, and hope to keep it that way. Right now I am earning my living money outside of Mexico, through Internet writing that I'm paid for into my U.S. PayPal account.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permanent Residents are still required to report changes in employment and address and their employers must still have permission to hire foreigners.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Permanent Residents are still required to report changes in employment and address and their employers must still have permission to hire foreigners.

Yes, I was told about the continuing need for reporting any changes, as I had to do when I moved to Queretaro from Mexico City and switched to independent employment status. You also, under either Temporal or Permanente status, have to report if you get married.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
. You also, under either Temporal or Permanente status, have to report if you get married.

Not only report, but ask for permission and pay for the priveledge as well. I once talked to a woman at a British Council event who compared it to buying a Mexican.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Fitzgerald, on your Permanente status!

Jultime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Fitz! I plan to be here long enough to obtain PR status here too.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Fitzgerald wrote:
. You also, under either Temporal or Permanente status, have to report if you get married.

Not only report, but ask for permission and pay for the priveledge as well. I once talked to a woman at a British Council event who compared it to buying a Mexican.

Wow! Really? What does that entail? And do they ever say no? I somehow missed that.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
MotherF wrote:
Fitzgerald wrote:

Wow! Really? What does that entail? And do they ever say no? I somehow missed that.

I've never heard of anyone being denied. Basically you have to turn in the documentation of who you are marrying, and pay a pago de derechos to change your estatus civil. And if you are not yet permenente you have to do your inscription in registro nacional de etranjeros. Unless, they got rid of that list with the reform.
abbott123

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Adding my situation............................. Reply with quote

Hi Fitzgerald, Thanks for the posting.....I'll be applying for residente permenente. I have been uner the temporal status 4 years on June 22, 2016. I am looking forward to getting my visa and being able to staying in Mexico and not having to get any more visas. Changing address or employer not a problem getting new visas a hassle. I will be very happy once I have my visa.. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: