Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mishmish5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Visa issues Reply with quote

Hello! I was offered a position at Kelt Surabaya and everything was all good, but I just found out that I will not be able to get a work visa due to my age. The rule is that you have to be at least 27 to get a work visa, which apparently before was a very flexible rule so the school thought I would be ok (I'm 24). However, the gov't has been getting stricter I guess, and I won't be able to get one. The school has contacted me and told me that they still want to hire me, and I can come in on a business visa and work on that (even though you legally can't).

I know there are many schools that do this, but I'm not sure if I should. Kelt Surabaya has a pretty good reputation from what I hear and I know it's a legitimate school, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Is it risky to go teach on a business visa? Do many people get caught?

The school has told me they understand if I'm not ok with it, so they've given me time to think about it and let them know. They have a few teachers they're having this issue with at the moment. If anyone has any experience with this, please do share! I need all the advice I can get.

Thanks!
jaybet3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: No Work Visa Reply with quote

So, if KELT can get you a business visa are they listed as the employer? I would think immigration would know that KELT is a school and hires mostly teachers, so they might question what your job would be. Seems like you would be an easy target if someone in immigration got the urge to follow up on your work situation and visit the KELT school unannounced.

I worked in Surabaya on a business visa, but I was working at a private high school and was employed by an outside company that wasn't an actual school so it would've been really hard for immigration to find me.

In this situation, proceed at your OWN risk. If you get caught, you are the one who would likely pay the fine and possibly blacklisted.

It's unfortunate that Indonesia is making it harder for teachers to get hired legally, but that's the current mind set of the government.
memae

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought the age was 25. Has it changed? Because if it is 25, then they don't really have to wait long to put you on a KITAS, and they're probably going to put you on a different visa to start with anyway and that might last til your birthday. IDK. If the age is 25 then it sounds like they're just trying to convince you to work for them on a cheaper visa.

If it is 27, and you decide to work for them, just be careful about what you leave around the place. Like, identifying documents or photos on your desk or whatever just in case immigration drops by unannounced. Make friends with the admin staff. They'll let you know if anyone is coming in to check up on foreign teachers.
mishmish5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memae: The age is now 27. When I interviewed for the position, they told me the gov't is quite lenient about this so they'd be able to get me a visa. It turns out that now they're really strict about it and won't let anyone come in on a KITAS if they're under 27. Another teacher they recently hired is having the same issue as me.

jaybet3: Yes, KELT would be listed as the employer. They told me that at immigration I should just say that I am observing classes. I plan on traveling while I'm there and I asked if there would be issues coming in and out of the country, and they said that it shouldn't be an issue. But I am still a bit worried.

How often do immigration drop by to check usually? Is that a common occurrence? My boyfriend previously worked in Malaysia for a year on a student visa and never encountered any problems, but from what I've read on this thread they seem to be a bit stricter in Indonesia. Do you think this would be really risky for me to do?
Tazz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For god's sake just wait until you are 27 before you do this-if 27 is the new minimum age! It isn't a case of how often immigration 'drop by' more a case of they CAN and they MIGHT. I've no idea about cases of arrest and deportation in Surabaya, but know of several cases in jakarta in recent years.....a Brit and an Aussie were both arrested and subsequently deported having been discovered working illegally at EF pamulang 2-3 years ago.....they were one day away from a trip to Singapore to obtain a kitas!
p1randal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would tend to agree with the above responses. You are basically being asked to wait 2-3 years. I would just go teach in Korea (somewhere I really enjoyed) for a couple years then come to Indonesia if you still want an adventure. Most everyone has to go through a short period of working "illegally" (2-3 weeks) but not 2-3 years haha. Also, I assume they are paying 12-16 million. That is not enough money to risk deportation at all. Unless there is an extra circumstance that you aren't mentioning then I wouldn't bother.
memae

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that's what you said they said about the age...

But I've been lied to enough times by employers and potential employers in Indonesia about visas and work permits to know better than to trust what they say about the rules. Also, sometimes I'm just not sure that they really even know themselves.

I had a look for information about the age changing but I haven't found any yet that seems super recent. I did find an article from 2013 about the imta regulations and the minimum age was 24. It sounds reasonable to me that it is 27 because they're so particular about being qualified and experienced, but ... IDK. I've been told something similar before too.
mishmish5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess I will just let it go.

The reason I didn't really want to leave the job was because I've been planning for it for months now and I'm worried I won't be able to find another job soon. But what p1randal said is true, the job isn't that amazing that it's worth taking the risk.

Thank you everyone for your input! I guess it's back to job hunting for me!
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1randal wrote:
Yeah, I would tend to agree with the above responses. You are basically being asked to wait 2-3 years. I would just go teach in Korea (somewhere I really enjoyed) for a couple years then come to Indonesia if you still want an adventure. Most everyone has to go through a short period of working "illegally" (2-3 weeks) but not 2-3 years haha. Also, I assume they are paying 12-16 million. That is not enough money to risk deportation at all. Unless there is an extra circumstance that you aren't mentioning then I wouldn't bother.

I whole-heartedly agree with these sentiments. Any school which tells you that working on a business consultant visa is legal or normal are not trustworthy. In recent days three Australian chiropractors working on VKU visas (business consultant) have been arrested and face criminal prosecution. Allow me to quote from one expat who purports to have a good idea of what's going on:

I know from a first-hand source related to me and employed at BIN that since December a rather huge sweeping of foreigners is taking place in Indonesia. It is also related to the shortfall in tax revenues last year. I am not certain though if it only takes place in Java but seemingly it has been extended to other islands too. So everybody possibly affected ensure that your papers are all in order.

It quite simply is not worth the risk of becoming a victim is a shakedown attempt by Indonesian authorities. Nor is it worth becoing a sacrificial lamb in a drive by local authorities to prove they are tough on illegal workers. Buyer beware when listening to assurances about business consultant visas being legal.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2016/01/29/fake-australian-chiropractors-face-multiple-charges.html

Last edited by bradleycooper on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
martinhughes

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Work Visa Indonesia Reply with quote

Coming on a business visa, you might be used to extort bribes. Always check with your local UK embassy first. If you get no reply do not bother and look for a job. There are plenty of other nice lands around. And nothing stops you from being a tourist one day and exploring the land. Only arrive on legal work visa obtained in UK.
It is completely irresponsible for the company to ask you to come on a business visa when they know it is illegal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: