Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Action Plan for Teaching in Southern Spain Advice Requested
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Summer camps in Spain Reply with quote

The ones I worked in were run by Berlitz on behalf of the Regional Government of Castilla-La Mancha, but that was more than ten years ago and I don't know if they're still running. Try asking around the language schools when you arrive.
teachertomthailand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do students in Spain generally know the phonemic alphabet? What are Spanish language learners generally the weakest in? I have heard that they are not that confident in their language skills, is this true?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pronunciation. Fix them, please:-)
And if you can do something about that annoying uuuuu sound that punctuates their speech in any language, everyone else will be eternally grateful to you!
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Spanish students learning English Reply with quote

As Spiral78 says, Spanish students tend to struggle with English pronunciation. Manuel from Fawlty Towers is not untypical of Spanish speakers!

In the past, trainee English teachers in Spain weren't obliged to spend time in English-speaking countries, and consequently had little or no fluency in English. Students were taught to translate literally, which caused no end of problems. English language TV programmes and films are still dubbed in Spanish, thus denying learners exposure to English (Hearing the same actors' voices nearly drove me insane when I lived in Spain).

I found using some phonemic symbols effective, as Spanish is a largely phonetic language.

In the realm of grammar, Spanish students invariably use the present perfect instead of the past simple, an instance of L1 interference.

Swan and Smith's Learner English: A Teacher's Guide to Interference and Other Problems contains a lot of useful information about the difficulties faced by English language learners around the world.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can we forget the throaty pronunciation of 'h' like it's the 'ch' in loch! I second the present perfect problems (French speakers also have this problem)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: