Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 month job offer with British Council in Doha - take or not

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misssapphire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: 5 month job offer with British Council in Doha - take or not Reply with quote

hi all,

This is my first time posting so please be kind.

I have been offered a 5 month post with BC in Doha, I am currently at BC in Paris but i cannot survive on the pay and they can't give me more hours, even with private students I will be working every day to make ends meet.

So as a single woman of 32, is Doha a good / safe place to work for 5 months? accommodation/medical provided, pay 10,500 a month.

Thanks for the advice. I am in a world of confusion over where to work!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be safe in Doha. If you have very specific questions, ask the BC in Doha for the email address of one of their single female teachers. But in the meantime, check out http://www.expatwoman.com/qatar/
desertdawg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is any transportation allowance given or transport provided?

I wouldn't want to live in Doha without a car. Using taxis can get expensive and is inconvenient.

The salary isn't brilliant. The cost of living in Doha is high. Groceries aren't cheap and a night out in a bar or restaurant with alcohol would really eat into your salary.

Everything considered it might be a foot into the door of the Middle East and you could make savings even in five months.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for it. It's short term... with a known employer. You could save a little and get a taste of working in the area. As has been said, it's a foot in the door.

If it is to go soon, be ready for some breathtaking heat and humidity. Cool It doesn't start to cool off until late October.

VS
topshop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: just say no Reply with quote

teaching at police college!!! you have no experience in the gulf temperature is 45 degrees right now after five months what then? salary for BC in the Qatar very low and you will not be able to save that much you are I assume paying into a social fund as part of the EU you will lose this if you leave the EU Think hard and wait until you get a long term contract in Qatar or UAE all the best whatever you decide
misssapphire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the police college. I am not male.

5 months then what? Well who knows?! I could get run over by a bus today!

A social fund in the EU? Not that I know of.

So with no experience in the gulf i should wait for a longer contract?

Your message is full of wrong assumptions!

Thank you to the other posters.
millie18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to ascertain if there are short term rentals available. 5 months is considered short term in much of the GCC where leases are usually 12 months paid in full up front.

I'm sure there are ways around this but you need to know before you arrive what your options are.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She said in her original post that accommodation is provided. That is the usual with BC.

VS
millie18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a maroon! (I am!) Embarassed

I will have to start reading the original post 2x before posting once!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... I can't imagine someone hired for a short term like this would be expected to round up housing. That would be even more ridiculous than some of the other stuff going on in gulf education these days.

VS
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is Doha a good / safe place to work for 5 months?

Yes, but the traffic situation is a nightmare. Hopefully, your accommodation will be reasonably close to the BC. It's likely that you'll be in Musheireb, which I consider walkable distance (30 minutes). But because of the heat, you might want to get a taxi. You'll probably share one with others who live in your building. If you're in Mansoura, that's about 3 miles from the BC and you'll probably have to get taxis by yourself. Accommodation is of a good standard.

Don't know what the BC in Paris is like, but I bet its premises is better than Doha. To be honest, it's a bit of a dump and far too small for the number of staff. Also, I hope you enjoy teaching juniors! Obviously, I don't know what shift you'll be doing, but it would be wise to prepare yourself for the 5:15-10:15 (Sun-Wed) and 9:00-3:30 (Sat). Not very nice, I don't think.

What's Doha like? City Centre and Corniche - brilliant/amazing. The rest? Well, some of it is horrible - dirty, constant roadworks/construction.

Quote:
Groceries aren't cheap and a night out in a bar or restaurant with alcohol would really eat into your salary.

I disagree about groceries, but nights out (and the Internet) are very expensive. In any case, most people save over half their salary. I saved about £1,000 per month (more if we include severance) and that includes a holiday.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for it - you don't sound satisfied where you are, it will be good to experience teaching Arabic speakers, and you'll likely make some helpful connections; and you'll see if BC Doha is great, terrible or something in between.

I see the short contract as a plus - you get all the benefits without the massive 2-year commitment to a place you know very little about.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doha is the worst place in the Gulf that I have ever visited. That includes Kuwait ! A short stay there was enough to confirm to me that KSA was the place for me !
Blackbear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well. Another opinion. This thread reminds me of the idea of asking 5 people for their opinion on X and getting 5 opinions on X plus 2 or 3 opinions on Y.

I understand that there is NO lack of folks applying for work in Qatar Friends I know in Doha work at CNA-Qatar and several have mentioned leaving, and then coming back a year later. They are working teaching Engineering Technology, ESL, and Sciences. Happy to be working there instead of looking for work back home.

Yes, there are also some who are waiting for their contracts to end so they can return to Canada. But, not everyone is of the same frame of mind - especially if they have no job to go "back" to. Rolling Eyes

YMMV, and we all know that.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'd go for it. You won't have any problems being a woman other than the odd beeping etc. 10.5k isn't much, so you'll need to find a cheap bech place to hang out and some social clubs to join ie sailing, diving, rugby etc. I liked Doha when i was there. As for any GCC country, try and make your friends outside teaching circles and your life will be much simpler. Half of all teachers (made that stat up) in the Gulf are to be avoided.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: