Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are online courses a recognised qualification?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmyers22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Are online courses a recognised qualification? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Me and a friend are heading over to madrid for a while next month. We have no teaching experience but would like to try get some work teaching if we could.

Will doing one of those 120hr online tefl courses help our chances of getting work? or are they not worth the paper they are written on?

Iv heard conflicting reports, I would like to get an idea from you guys who are really there doing it and know the job market.

I know we are going to walk into good jobs without any qualification. Just one that pays enough to get us by.

Thanks guys.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can definitely get work with an online qualification (the only two schools that wouldn't accept it would be the British Council and some sections of International House). The only thing a bit off is your timing. Presumably you mean next month as in November? I'm not saying you won't get work but it will be a bit more difficult as a lot of classes will be taken and then you also have another 2-3 weeks off at Christmas. I'd just go for it to be honest.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(the only two schools that wouldn't accept it would be the British Council and some sections of International House

I disagree. In fact I saw a vacancy only the other day that specified "NO online qualifications!" or words to that effect, and came from neither of the above organizations.

I can think of plenty of schools that won't look at you without a CELTA or Trinity qualification (and some insist on a university degree, of any kind, and many on you having teaching experience). There is a CELTA online which is, apart from the delivery format, the same qualification as CELTA face-to-face.

You MIGHT find that a smaller, less fussy school accepts ANY qualifications (or none!) but you might in fact rather not work there. Pay is often poorer, as are installations, etc.

An "online TEFL course" is probably better than nothing, but it won't get you jobs in many schools as you will find yourself competing (or rather NOT competing) for the vacancy with people better qualified.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When bi lived in Madrid schools would often have high requirements in an advert but be willing to accept much less. I know plenty of people who have online certs or no Certs. The majority of schools don't need a celta
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And business classes pay more than IH and the BC
SirKirby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The majority of schools don't need a celta

I'm sorry, but that is just nonsense, and misinforming anyone unfamiliar with Spain and the ELT profession here.

Yes, you WILL find schools which will accept you without proper qualifications and experience, but there's no way that is "the majority".

And would you want to work for (or study at) such places? Would you want to study Spanish with a totally unqualified, inexperienced teacher?

I think not.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hilarious that I'm accused of talking nonsense by someone who is based in Barcelona (not Madrid) and who still believes the job adverts.

The majority of schools in Madrid don't care about the CELTA (it's a bonus but not usually essential). As for working in 'places like that', in-company classes (that don't require a CELTA) pay far more than anywhere else so would I work for them? Yes, please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: