Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angloville offering a job with no pay! Really?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Angloville offering a job with no pay! Really? Reply with quote

Can you believe that Angloville are still offering a job with no salary?

You teach businessmen in a resort/hotel and they don't pay you.

Only in Poland.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to do this in the Czech Rep also sometimes. Not sure if it actually worked, but it's not 'only in Poland.'
sparks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met people here who came over to do this/did it just because...whatever.

Most of them are Americans, I asked them WTF? and they placidly explained that, "oh....it was a nice experiece, you don't have to worry about food, or pay for anything extra...you get to talk to some interesting people."

Somtimes the naive, nice, cow-like simplicity of my people enrages my long-time Euro-living self.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Angloville offering a job with no pay! Really? Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Can you believe that Angloville are still offering a job with no salary?

You teach businessmen in a resort/hotel and they don't pay you.

Only in Poland.

It's one of the most hilarious things that I've ever encountered. 6 hours a day of "conversations" and a general obligation to be around the entire time in exchange for absolutely nothing. AND PEOPLE ARE FALLING FOR IT?!

There's no teaching as such, but being forced to speak to people seems like hell.

But anyway, it's illegal in Poland to "volunteer" for private businesses - so I suspect that they'll vanish sooner rather than later. But if you fancy a laugh - there's a chap in PoznaƄ trying to do the same thing with a different company. Perhaps we should set up a meeting? I'd love to see some English bloke explain to dragonpiwo why he should work for free Very Happy

edit : I see how Angloville are doing it. They've established a very clever system that means that volunteers come through a separate foundation (controlled by Angloville), allowing them to avoid breaking the law. Clever, clever. They've also been using the profits from Angloville to try and move into corporate teaching too.

But yeah, I know people that have done it as well. Not sure I understand why anyone would do something for free when these sort of residential camps can pay up to 1500zl for a weekend...
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: What's the big deal? Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
They used to do this in the Czech Rep also sometimes. Not sure if it actually worked, but it's not 'only in Poland.'
Sounds like at least 1 native speaker enjoyed the program: http://www.insidecolumbia.net/The-World-According-To-Mallory/April-2014/Angloville-in-Poland/

I guess I don't see what you guys think is so shocking about this program. As long as no one is being misled and knows what they're signing up for, who cares? Might be a valuable experience for someone who's considering a move to Poland, or is just passing through and wants to connect with the locals. Hats off to Angloville if they're able to get natives to actually go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't go for it. Plenty or opportunities to get to know the locals AND get paid for it. Cool
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It bothers me that someone is making money from others' volunteer work. If it were digging wells in Africa or something and no one were getting paid, ok, but I think we all know the pain of hour upon hour of having to keep the lesson/conversation moving along with students. If people are dumb enough to do it though....
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It's a common thing to want and expect more than you've actually paid for in Poland.
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It think it's a good idea. I'm thinking of participating in this myself, as a way of refreshing my TEFL experience, getting a relevant reference and seeing somewhere new. I did a similar thing several years ago in another country and it was a lot of fun.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind being exploited, then go for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: