Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving from China to Phuket
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cdilts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Moving from China to Phuket Reply with quote

Five years ago I posted some questions about moving to China and then proceeded to find a job and enjoy my time in China. After 3+ years teaching in sunny Xiamen I am making the move with my fiance to Phuket. I have been scrounging up details on teaching positions and wanted to directly ask this fine community about opportunities.

I have a TEFL cert,a bachelor's in English from a good school in America, as well as a master's of Chinese Law from Xiamen University. In addition, I have 5 years experience teaching kids under the age of 12, and have hired and trained new teachers here for 3 years.

My fiance (local Phuket Thai) and I are getting married in February and I will arrive 2 months beforehand. Currently I am looking at doing a CELTA program first and then will begin some basic job hunting until the wedding. Hope to find a reliable school within my first 6 months. Any advice?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirt, tie, socks, shined shoes, resume and relevant documents in hand, and hit the bricks.

You should arrive just in time for the end of the school year so you probably won't find much work till April with work starting in May and payday occurring at the end of May. Good luck.

Cdilts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. I actually just read another post that was similar and you replied in a similar way. Guess I will hit the bricks as soon as I get there then... or maybe shortly after the CELTA depending on when I can get it done. I am fine with working my way up in a school. Although I would eventually like to try and find work in an international school. I can only assume that is close to difficult or impossible for me though....

Anyways, we hope and plan on being in Thailand and raising a family etc so I am fine with being patient while I establish 'guanxi' as we say in China.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are very employable in the 28-35K jobs, with or without the CELTA. A B.Ed. would open a lot more doors for you. Try to get a few letters of recommendation (or make some up). The Thais are known for not responding to foreigner emails. Some type of police clearance would be helpful, and definitely degree and sealed transcripts.

You obviously know about moving to find work. The availability of jobs can vary widely from province to province. In June of 2012, I started a vacation in Udon Thani, and was offered a teaching job, by a bank manager, within three hours of my arrival. OTOH. here in Chiang Mai, a school wouldn't hesitate to fire its entire foreign staff, and many teachers are not 100% legal. Up to you.

There is a lot of talk about New Era University in the Philippines, offering an online post-baccalaureate B.Ed., that is accepted for Thai licensure. Otherwise, you will be playing the "waiver" game, which might limit you to five years.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Expect to earn around 30,000 Baths per month teaching English in Phuket at a Thai school...you may receive more Baths...but you will have to work overtime. Phuket is a tourist and retirement resort island...quite expensive these days and very developed..and full of mafia types too!
natsume

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30,000 Baths per month? I don't think I've taken 30,000 Baths in my life!
Cdilts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30k baht sounds about right. I am not hugely concerned with finding a job right away as I kinda want to get a feel for the island and maybe want a small vacation before putting my nose back on the grindstone. This past year working 7 days a week while getting my master's has been a bit wearing.

Actually... I am a little worried about the mafia thing and getting ganked on the beach at night or something. Been considering buying some sort of portable protection (like a retractable baton) for myself and maybe lightly taking some martial arts as I like to stay in shape but also like to stay alive.

My friend told me some horror stories of people getting hurt or robbed in Thailand bit honestly it sounded like those people were doing something unsafe anyways. While I like playing guitar and singing... I am hugely not a fan of Western style bar culture so I don't plan on really hanging out in the bar scene at ALL. I don't drink for 3-6 months of the year due to buddhist lent anyways.

I really hope to meet some balanced expats in Phuket... and find a community of people that do more than just party all the time. We do happen to have my own paddleboards and I are looking forward to finding some good boarding spots on the island and nearby.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natsume wrote:
30,000 Baths per month? I don't think I've taken 30,000 Baths in my life!

I actually did the math and, yeah, it's practically impossible even if done daily unless you're at least 82 years old. 30,000 baths / 365 days = 82.2 years

Sorry not sorry.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phuket has changed drastically over the last 20 years or so....the island is extremely expensive...on line with Singapore in its development...for EFL teachers 30,000 Thai Baths per month salary + little or no other benefits is the norm and there are thousands of Western expats married to Thais and willing to teach English on their retirement visas there...iall be it illegally. The Russian mafia moved into Phuket many years ago....mainly from nearby Pattaya... and have also helped in pushing prices /costs up everywhere to be found...especially in real estate. By the way I taught English in Phuket some 25 years ago...to hotels throughout the island on a free lance basis. It was great then....I earned about 80,000 Baths per month on average. Today forget it.....the island i saturated with EFL teacher (or EDUTAINERS) willing to teach for next to nothing so they can extend their vacation in the Thai Tom Yum Kung tropical sun. That is the primary reason why wages will never go up for us TEFL teachers there...unfortunately we are a dime a dozen for Thai/English schools there. Even with a relevant Masters degree in TESOL + CELTA your choices are extremely limited these days on the island...which is as mentioned best visited as a tourist or for retirement purposes...Shocked Shocked
Cdilts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I am going in with low expectations about job prospects. Money is not as hugely important immediately. I am making bank in China and could live off my savings for a bit even after paying for a wedding and dowry. Either way... my fiance is connected to the educational field there and we will have a free apartment in addition to dual income. Eventually I hope to move outside Phuket to a smaller town. I am not a huge fan of cities but kinda got used to it from living in China so its ok as long as there are a few natural places nearby.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdilts wrote:
30k baht sounds about right. I am not hugely concerned with finding a job right away as I kinda want to get a feel for the island and maybe want a small vacation before putting my nose back on the grindstone. This past year working 7 days a week while getting my master's has been a bit wearing.

Actually... I am a little worried about the mafia thing and getting ganked on the beach at night or something. Been considering buying some sort of portable protection (like a retractable baton) for myself and maybe lightly taking some martial arts as I like to stay in shape but also like to stay alive.

My friend told me some horror stories of people getting hurt or robbed in Thailand bit honestly it sounded like those people were doing something unsafe anyways. While I like playing guitar and singing... I am hugely not a fan of Western style bar culture so I don't plan on really hanging out in the bar scene at ALL. I don't drink for 3-6 months of the year due to buddhist lent anyways.

I really hope to meet some balanced expats in Phuket... and find a community of people that do more than just party all the time. We do happen to have my own paddleboards and I are looking forward to finding some good boarding spots on the island and nearby.

Not sure what form of Buddhism you follow!! LOL
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would look at Phuket as a place for a holiday, and look for work in Bangkok. Much better opportunities.
Cdilts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
Not sure what form of Buddhism you follow!! LOL

Ah, I am learning a little about Buddhism through my fiance. Not really specifically following any religion currently but I support her choice to not drink a few months out of the year and go along with it. Kinda makes you realize how addictive and unhealthy alcohol is when you don't drink for a few months.
simon44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much rubbish spoken here about Phuket.

I've lived here for 14 years, with regular breaks to teach in other south-east Asian countries.

Some facts about Phuket:

- The influence of any so-called mafia will not affect you at all, unless you run a gogo bar, (which I have done in another 'life).
- Apart from riding a motorbike at night, Phuket is a very safe island. (I have worked as a police volunteer on the island for many years, so am aware of the true level of crime against foreigners)
- If you want to live an 'expat' lifestyle (kids at international schools, playing golf, yachting etc), then Phuket is expensive
- If you want to live like a normal person, eating mainly Thai food, going to the beach etc, then Phuket is only marginally more expensive than other areas of Thailand.
- Whilst there are many 'no-hoper' tourists who want to stay and teach, they will not find employment in the vast majority of bilingual or international schools on the island - those schools don't drop their recruiting standards just because someone is willing to work for a low salary.
Cdilts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon44 wrote:
So much rubbish spoken here about Phuket.

I've lived here for 14 years, with regular breaks to teach in other south-east Asian countries.

Some facts about Phuket:

- The influence of any so-called mafia will not affect you at all, unless you run a gogo bar, (which I have done in another 'life).
- Apart from riding a motorbike at night, Phuket is a very safe island. (I have worked as a police volunteer on the island for many years, so am aware of the true level of crime against foreigners)
- If you want to live an 'expat' lifestyle (kids at international schools, playing golf, yachting etc), then Phuket is expensive
- If you want to live like a normal person, eating mainly Thai food, going to the beach etc, then Phuket is only marginally more expensive than other areas of Thailand.
- Whilst there are many 'no-hoper' tourists who want to stay and teach, they will not find employment in the vast majority of bilingual or international schools on the island - those schools don't drop their recruiting standards just because someone is willing to work for a low salary.

Excellent information. Thanks for the help. Not too interested in yachting or playing golf, if I wanted that kind of lifestyle I'd be back in America saving. But paddleboarding, rafting, hiking, experiencing a new culture and country (admidst a ton of tourists) all sounds appealing to me.

I hope/plan to be in Thailand for the long run. I spent 5 years in China and not only learned the language and culture to fluency but started a band that played some of the biggest music festivals in the country and wrote our own music in the language. My time in China was well spent, but after being here for 5 years I realize that I will never be 'welcome' here as anything other that a guest, even if I were married to a local, even if I gave more significant effort, time, and love to a place that has interested me so much. The people here are great, but they always expect me to go back home someday, it is apparently inevitable to everyone here except myself.

My goals for Thailand for the long term are to build a family, community, and be welcome in this country in the way I really can't be in China. Work-wise, if I wanted to make bank... I'd go back to working at one in America. Honestly, I hope to work at an English school or training center, 30k baht is fine as my wife will probably be pulling in more. Eventually I aspire to work for an international school and make a bit more, but more importantly be surrounded by some teachers that I can look up to, emulate, and admire (instead of being surrounded by 'no-hopers', I like that phrase).

Anyways, keep the info coming, this is extremely helpful. I am touching down in December shortly after Christmas with wife, dog, guitars, paddleboards, and assorted knick-knacks in tow. Sorry for the TLDR

PS. If anyone has some advice on learning Thai quickly and effectively I am all ears. I know having a Thai wife will help extremely, but I do enjoy using computer learning programs in the morning while eating breakfast, if anyone has any recommendations! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: