Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspicious job in Mauritius
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Suspicious job in Mauritius Reply with quote

Anyone applied for this post? Looks dodgy to me:

English Tutor based in Mauritius
Wisdom Parc de L'Excellence MAURITIUS - Esher
Contract
Please note job based in Mauritius and not in UK

The website does not offer Mauritius as a country!!
A private Educational practice is looking for 2 to 3 full time English Teachers for foreign students.
The Practice has excellent facilities and high expectations of both staff and students alike and is seeking a proactive and committed teacher to join their team. If you are looking for a more out of the ordinary teaching experience and are looking for a new challenging role, then please send in your CV as soon as possible. We need to fill the position which is due to start in January2016.
This role is available for all English/ESOL trainee teachers and applications from NQT's are welcomed.
You will be a driven teacher with a strong desire for your students to succeed. You will be encouraged to embrace your own teaching personality to ensure that you are comfortable and effective in your role.
You will need to be highly organised able to work under pressure have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and driven to get results,while living and working in a relaxed environment.

In return for your developing skills and experience the school can offer a great referential bonus and increase pay rises (in line with performance & feedback). Benefits package that is in line with, and sometimes beyond, the current pay scales.

Day-to-day activities may include:

Preparing and delivering lessons to a range of classes of different ages and abilities;
Marking work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of pupils' progress and development;
Researching new English topic areas, maintaining up-to-date subject knowledge, and devising and writing new curriculum materials;
Selecting and using a range of different learning resources and equipment, including podcasts and interactive whiteboards;
Preparing pupils for IELTS Exams;
Undertaking class observations, such as learning/observing from experienced tutors, and supporting students on an individual basis through learning or personal difficulties;
Communicating with students about their progression in their area of English learning;
Liaising with other teaching/trainee instructors;

Key Accountabilities

Manage a caseload of learners ensuring course is completed within 6 to 7 weeks
Manage own time effectively to ensure all learners supported and visit within given time frames
Write satisfactory reports at every point of contact logging learner progress
Write targets for all learners
Ensure Assessor, Programme Manager and College aware of any relevant issues
Travel as required to workplaces to support learners
Gain relevant qualifications as necessary
Undertake any other ad-hoc duties as determined by the needs of the business.
Any other duties reasonably requested by the line manager

Experience and Qualifications

Teaching qualification
A grade of distinction in English Language at the GCSE O level or equivalent
A grade of distinction in English Language at the GCSE A level or equivalent
A university degree in English Language
At least 15 years Prior experience teaching EFL, ESOL and IELTS
Strong lesson differentiation skills and planning
British English mother tongue

Location of Work:
Mauritius, the dream island and the dream holiday job
The educational practice is located on the west coast of the island and lectures will be delivered in small groups of 5 to 7 students on full time basis.

Duration of work :
7 to 8 weeks per session
Training will be on a weekly basis starting at 8.30am to end at 4.30pm includes 1 hour break for lunch and tea breaks

Your compensation will include: -

your basic wage in current market price and depending on experience,
en suite accommodation
company car
meals
holiday activities every week on the island
Bonus payments will be compensated if targets are achieved. One of the targets will be over 90% IELTS score of 8 ,
further benefits will be offered such as and not limited to

a rebate will also be offered for your international travel arrangements.
Further contract of 8 to 16 weeks for teaching
If you’re looking for a new challenge or would be keen on changing your work environment, then do not hesitate to send your full curriculum vitae and a recent photograph

Please note job based in Mauritius and not in UK
The website does not offer Mauritius as a country!!

Job Type: Contract

Required experience:

Teaching Experience: 5 years
Required licence or certification:

IELTS
Required education:

Bachelor's

MOD EDIT
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compensation includes YOUR basic wage in current market price??? Also Mauritius is NOT in Africa.....it is an island in the Indian Ocean near INDIA. This ad is a sham or a SCAM...but there are many MANY and MANY EFL desperate and gullible souls out there who would fall for this advert....and also FALL flat on their faces when they realize their tropical SUNSHINE dreamy holiday in the Indian Ocean sun will not come true!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is clearly copied-and-pasted in chunks from other adverts.

And this is especially funny, as IELTS 8 is pretty near native-speaker proficiency:-)

Quote:
Bonus payments will be compensated if targets are achieved. One of the targets will be over 90% IELTS score of 8
Stuka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I did send these folks my resume and they got back to me in less than 24 hours.(That's sus right there.) Anyway, as part of their "rigorous" application process they asked me to write 3 essays and I remember one of them being something about China's economic ascendancy being a threat to the world. I'm annoyed I deleted the reply because I would have posted it here. I think the scam runs something like this: Get the candidate to invest a lot of time and effort in applying for the job and then keep adding additional tasks to make the candidate frustrated so that when these scammers ask for payment to be placed in the sunny island of Mauritius, it'll come as a relief and the candidate will willingly pay the costly placement fee. GIVE THIS A WIDE BERTH!
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuka wrote:
Actually I did send these folks my resume and they got back to me in less than 24 hours.(That's sus right there.) Anyway, as part of their "rigorous" application process they asked me to write 3 essays and I remember one of them being something about China's economic ascendancy being a threat to the world. I'm annoyed I deleted the reply because I would have posted it here. I think the scam runs something like this: Get the candidate to invest a lot of time and effort in applying for the job and then keep adding additional tasks to make the candidate frustrated so that when these scammers ask for payment to be placed in the sunny island of Mauritius, it'll come as a relief and the candidate will willingly pay the costly placement fee. GIVE THIS A WIDE BERTH!

Or the tasks are based on assessments they or others need to complete and they get people to do the work. They might then sell them or submit them.
Stuka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
Stuka wrote:

Or the tasks are based on assessments they or others need to complete and they get people to do the work. They might then sell them or submit them.

Yes, I also thought this: They are just using the ad to catch vulnerable teachers who'll write essays for them to sell onto students that they are charging for those very same essays. Whichever way you look at it, this copy and paste job is to be avoided.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a long time since Mauritius recruited teachers from Europe. This is clearly a scam.

Incidentally Mauritius identifies itself as African. It became a member of the OAU in 1968. It is a member of the African Union, successor to the OAU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_the_African_Union
Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
It is a long time since Mauritius recruited teachers from Europe. This is clearly a scam.

I just found their reply:

Dear . . . .

We acknowledge receipt of your resume and application for a position at Wisdom Parc de L’Excellence and sincerely appreciate your interest in our company.

Congratulations your credentials upon your CV matches the profile we are looking for in a team member.

As a company we take pride in delivering results for our students and for this we need a solid team.
Our company is committed in employing the best of the best to deliver an outstanding service to our students and therefore we are seriously engaged in undergoing a diligent recruitment process. We respect your time and therefore we would appreciate that you do the same and only proceed with the next stage if you are committed in having a career with us.

Apart from your CV, where we have seen your achievements and attributes we would like to know a bit more about yourself.
We would like you to write a short essay of 150 to 200 words and there are 3 scenarios:-

· Does a teacher have the ability to influence the minds of their students?
· Where is this job based and why is it an ideal place to learn?
· “China is literally taking over the world” Your feelings.

You would need to submit these in 1 PDF file
Your name should be marked in the middle of the page in Bold, Arial 14
Your email address, your telephone number, and your Skype ID together with your Date of Birth right below it in Arial 12
The essay should be in Times New Roman 10 font.

THE DEADLINE TO SUBMIT THESE IS 25th OF NOVEMBER AT 1.00PM LOCAL TIME.
IT NEEDS TO BE EMAILED BACK TO [email protected] with subject ref your name and ESSAY on the subject line.

If the above instructions and deadline are not met, your application may be rejected.

The application process

1. CV and photo need to be submitted. We may reject your application if we do not have your photo on file.
2. Essay submitted ...Initial screening stage
3. After essay submission, we will revert back to you within 14 working days.
4. If selected to proceed, appointment made for Skype interview 1/ face to face interview 1. we will revert back to you within 4 working days.
5. If selected to proceed, appointment made for Skype interview 2/face to face interview 2. we will revert back to you within 3 working days.
6. If selected Relevant notice given for job start date.

We will screen all applicants and select candidates whose credentials seem to meet our needs. We will carefully consider your application during the initial screening and will contact you if you are selected to continue in the recruitment process. Either way whether you are selected or not, please rest assured that we will kindly revert back to you

In the meantime We wish you every success, for all your future assignments.

Kind Regards

Dana

The Management team
school logo final.png
Teaching beyond boundaries

WWW.wisdompdle.COM

[email protected]
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their website is certainly a red flag; it lacks key information such as who's who (i.e., their anonymous leadership and staff), actual descriptions of their courses, their physical address, etc. The site focuses on how exotic the country is rather than on the substance of their EFL program. Avoid this one.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw. Who doesn't want to write three essays for free?!
Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Their website is certainly a red flag; it lacks key information such as who's who (i.e., their anonymous leadership and staff), actual descriptions of their courses, their physical address, etc.

Actually, their website could quite easily be the websites of any for-profit education company today who have much to hide.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An essay of 150 to 200 words ?

Wow !

Last edited by scot47 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One should use one's WISDOM and not to be taken by this ad...they are offering YOU NADA...and want you to give them your work for FREE .only DESPERADOS need apply!!! Shocked Shocked
Stuka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think this ad has been posted by the same people?

ESL Instructors Needed in Male' City, Maldives

Posted By: The Language Learning Centre <[email protected]>
Date: Sunday, 13 December 2015, at 11:27 a.m.

we are looking for ESL instructors to join our international team in the school year 2016.

Looking for:

ESL pre-school teachers (3-6 year old students)
ESL YLE teachers (6-12 year old students)
ESL teens and adults instructors.

At our language institute we teach English as a Second language to children as you as 3 years old and all the way up to adult learners. We are looking for flexible teachers who can teach a mixture of levels, from Young Learners to Adults & pre-school teachers to work with our Kindergarten Courses- Nursery & LKG.

School year: 13th January 2016- 18th November 2016
employment: full-time (30 teaching hrs)
required date of arrival: 7th-9th January 2016
accommodation: provided by the school
airfare: airfare fund reimbursed by the school
salary: 16,000-17,000 Maldivian Rufiyaa
visa: work permit and visa to be organized and paid by the school

looking for:
2-3 years ESL experience
Degree in teaching/ ESL / English or related
CELTA/ DELTA or similar will be an advantage
young & energetic personality
easy going and adaptable
native speakers of English from the UK, USA, South Africa

to apply for this opportunity and work in the sunny Maldives, forward your resume with a recent photograph to [email protected]

*selected candidates will be invited to a Skype interview.

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=37694

Anyone applied? I'd be interested to see the reply.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote MILTON "Most men live lives of quiet desperation"....nowadays this certainly applies to most TEFLers seeking EFL teaching positions in such places like this!!! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: