Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FSB interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex1970

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: FSB interview Reply with quote

Has any teacher here ever been questioned or interviewed by FSB representatives? Seems like because of the current climate.
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never. But you seem to have endless issues. You live outside of Moscow, don't you?
alex1970

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unhelpful as always. I live outside of Moscow but what is special about that?
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex1970 wrote:
Unhelpful as always. I live outside of Moscow but what is special about that?

If I had lied and said 'Yes', would that have been more helpful?

Well, you seem to encounter a whole plethora of problems that nobody else encounters. I'm wondering if it has something to do with you living outside of Moscow. Perhaps people in your area are more eager to make a name for themselves by making life difficult for a foreigner. Perhaps you stand out more and thus attract more interest from the authorities. I imagine that there are far less foreigners where you are than in Moscow itself.

Oh, and Alex, any news on that compulsary language test all new teachers are going to have to take? It's so strange that despite your certainty that no teachers could be employed without it, we've somehow been hiring teachers all year round. Odd, eh? You were so unequivocal.

OK, now I'm being unhelpful. Forgive me.
alex1970

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have nothing helpful to say then don't say it. Thankfully I had no problems.
Shelby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right. Are you saying that you have been interviewed/questioned? I also live well outside Moscow and the only problems I encounter are babushki who don't believe that a foreigner would be here or believe that if you don't speak perfect Russian you are stupid (this was a closed city until about 20 years ago so many people have never met a foreigner).
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an FSB "minder" (for lack of a better term) during my first couple of years in Vladivostok. We used to meet up in a local cafe and chat about once every couple of months. He was actually a really nice guy ("kinder, gentler FSB"). He asked about expats in the city, about a new Muslim school that was apparently opening at the time, the usual stuff. After about two years, he stopped calling; I wasn't offended.

I was never really concerned, to be honest. I figured the FSB knew everything they were asking me anyway, and if they wanted me out of the country (or in jail), they wouldn't have beaten around the bush. After all, I was just an English teacher, and I had nothing to hide. In the end, I started to think that he mostly wanted to practice his English, though he never really asked for specific language tips.
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jpvanderwerf2001 -

We haven't heard from you in quite some time, after a long history of useful posts.

Nice to know you're still around. Smile
Nexus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP - that's an interesting story. How did he first make contact?
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks, expatella girl! I now live in NYC, but I occasionally find my way back to the Russia forum...as with Russia itself, it keeps pulling you back in! Smile

Nexus, great to hear from you, bud! About three months or so after I'd arrived, the minder guy actually called me one day out of the blue (no idea how he got my cell number...oh, wait: FSB). He asked if we could meet at Presto Cafe right downtown. I thought it was a bit strange at first (obviously), but I thought what could it hurt. That's how it started. I guess we met up about ten times in my first couple/few years in Vladik. His English, I should say, was really excellent!

Wish I could have charged him my exorbitant tutoring rates Sad
Nexus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it just you on their watch list or were the other American or British guys in town contacted as well?

Good to see you back again as well J! I might have return trip to Vlad soon - I'll let you know if / when
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus: If I recall, the British proprietor of a certain cafe in town (I think you met him?) also had (perhaps still has) an FSB buddy. I might be a bit mixed up, as it's rather common, or was, that Permanent Residency candidates meet with FSB people...so that might be what I'm remembering. If you get to Vlad, swing by and he can clarify!
Be well...great time of year in Russia!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: