Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems converting a Canadian drivers license to Omani
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackbear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
One problem is that if you get stopped for a traffic violation, they confiscate whatever license you are using. Then you have to go to the police to try to get it back based on your declaration of ignorance of the law. Good luck on getting them to return the illegal items.

VS

Quite the discussion! Almost like the discussion of how many angels can dance on the end of a pin Rolling Eyes All based on individual past experiences - which vary considerably..

That said, the license in and of itself is not illegal! Or is it - and if so why is a foreign license illegal in Oman? I have never heard of anything like a piece of paper being illegal in some country - and especially if it obtained legally in a bona-fide manner from some issuing authority who allows them to carry it anywhere. C'mon armchair lawyers, enlighten us.

However, it seems that continued use of the Canadian license (with no proof of renewal) appears illegal. Get another replacement. telephone the Ontario Licensing agency on Skype (telephone service costs) or by using Google or some other VOIP service that can access Canadian telephones and say you have lost it, or it was left in ... with your wallet and money or ... Then have it sent to you overseas or to someone in Ontario that you remain in contact with.

I get mine renewed that way - but not from Ontario. Someone sends it to me...
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me says there is no problem using an international driving license in Oh Man..I have a Canadian Drivers License and a South African Drivers License too! Never had any problems. Shocked
Blackbear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured so - as in much ado about nothing. Rolling Eyes
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Me says there is no problem using an international driving license in Oh Man..I have a Canadian Drivers License and a South African Drivers License too! Never had any problems. Shocked

Yeah, but, nothing is ever a problem until it becomes a problem. Much like not paying your taxes back in your home country is not a problem, until you get audited.

Blackbear wrote:
Figured so - as in much ado about nothing. Rolling Eyes

My understanding is that, if you are living here and driving, you are legally required to get an Omani license. If you, or anyone else, want to flout that rule then fine. No skin off my nose. However, if you do ever get into a serious collision, especially if you caused it, then please do post again and let us know how things unfolded with the cops and your insurance company. It's not something that I have to worry about unduly (I'm driving legally), but I'd honestly be interested to hear whether they're inclined to adopt the appropriate laissez-fair attitude Confused.

Last edited by 1st Sgt Welsh on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackbear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt. W... I guess it is kind of co-habiting in Qatar, the UAE and Oman when not married. Only trouble when caught.... YMMV
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbear wrote:
1st Sgt. W... I guess it is kind of co-habiting in Qatar, the UAE and Oman when not married. Only trouble when caught.... YMMV

Sure, and, I guess, the same could be said with any illegal activity. However, on this particular issue, the 'path to legality' is extremely easy and can be achieved with a quick visit to the local police station. If you are not prepared to do that then, like I said, that's fine and it's no skin off my nose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: