Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Chinese Students in Thailand, Legality Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cdilts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Teaching Chinese Students in Thailand, Legality Questions Reply with quote

I'm moving to Thailand in about 2 months but have a long list of clients/students in China. Due to our history together, the interest of the students' parents, and excellent teacher/student relationship I was considering teaching them via an online chat/eclass program while I live in Thailand (my fiance's job requires her to be located in Phuket).

But also, after reading about the 17 foreigners arrested in Chiang Mai for basically doing the same thing I am a little worried about the legality of this.

Is this kind of thing legal on a small scale, and with what Visa should I look at getting or doing? I will have a marriage Visa after February but I'm guessing that it won't provide me with a work permit or anything of the sort. I really don't want to do this illegally as I plan to be in Thailand for quite some time and want to keep everything on the up-and-up as they say. But obviously I also want to minimize my overhead for business license fees and such. Depending on my hourly fee for doing this the monthly income would probably range from about 20,000 baht up to about 80,000 baht depending on how many classes I continued.

The amount of students I have interested in this possibility and my own interest in the prospect of branching out to the field of e-learning has piqued my curiosity in this yet simultaneously has me worried about the legality (or lack thereof) of doing this. I could feasibly set up a Chinese business license and then if all the pay/accounting was done in China it might not be a problem, but even then I'm not completely sure about the legality in Thailand of working for a foreign company while located in Thailand.

Would it be easier getting a small business license in Thailand? Does anyone have any good references or articles in regards to this that could help my research. Chinese business licenses cost about 250,000 baht initially and then there is nothing required after that barring some minor fees.

Anyways, the draw for doing this (for me) would be to keep some students that I don't want to have to say goodbye to, and also that it could provide some alternative income if needed since salaries for starting ESL teachers in Phuket are so low. I have a great relationship with the parents of all my students, and many of them have even shown interest in visiting us in Thailand after we get set up there. I would like our close friendship/business relationship to continue but want to do it legally if at all possible.

This forum has been extremely helpful in the past, and I can't wait to come to Thailand, thanks in advance for any advice or help you can provide me with!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this would be your only source of income while you're in Thailand?
Cdilts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry. Forgot to mention that.

I am looking at also teaching English in Phuket, I posted a question about the idea a few months ago. Thought this 'secondary income' might be a creative way to deal with the lower initial income for English teachers, and a way to keep my current students in China.

My plan was to come in on a tourist visa in late December, take a short break from teaching for a few weeks, and extend the Visa to 60 days until the wedding, and then either begin to look for a school to work for in February, or apply for a marriage Visa (it looks like marriage Visa can also have a work permit, because there is an income requirement? I am reading about this stuff right now) OR if that isn't possible simply find a school to work for that can supply a regular work Visa until I find better options.

The e-class stuff would be purely supplemental and about 6-12 hours of class-time a week, I am guessing. Mostly in the evenings on weekdays or on weekends.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best best is to come to Thailand on a Marriage visa and don't tell anyone about your personal business plans. If you see a lawyer maybe he can help you. Smile
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would need 4 full time Thai employees for every WP issued., and you would need 2 million THB in capital to set up your company. I live in CM, and am familiar with "The 17." They were working in the open, for a local company, without workpermits. They were all working the same hours, in the same place, in open defiance of the laws. I think most were deported. That's a lot different than doing it in your own apartment and not telling anyone. Immigration is aware of the "Digital Nomads," and have stated that they aren't breaking the law, or will be left alone anyways. There was another bust at one of those shared workspace places, and all those people were released. Just make sure you have your own, good internet, which is readily available, and you will be fine. Unfortunately, China's "Great FireWall," means that speeds will be less than have of what they would be to even Yangoon. Phuket is kind of high cost of living for Thailand, but the long list of applicants keeps salaries as low as much more affordable Isaan.
Cdilts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank again. Yeah I was looking at existent online teaching programs and just lowered my class fee in line with my findings. Just for reference... what is considered average "per work hour" and "per class hour" pay in a place like Phuket? (I know it is low). I know jobs pag about 25 to 30k thb per month but is that for 15 teaching hours with 15 office hours? Or a solid 40 hours per week? Or what? In China a full time teaching position is about 20 hours a week.

I will probably also work at an additional school depending on hours available. I am not planning on openly defying anything and I apparently can not set up a legit business without jumping through ridiculous hoops.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping through ridiculous hoops in the Land of Smiles???...expect Baths 300/Hour teaching English in Fhuket....and possibly more if you teach private Thai Chinese students Smile
Cdilts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks! We are excited for the move!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great well welcome to the "Land of SMiles and Thai Baths"!!!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: