Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-native English teachers in Japan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesso92

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Non-native English teachers in Japan? Reply with quote

Hi,

I hope you guys don't mind me asking you a question. I'm a citizen of Mexico, but I completed my high school and University studies in The United States. English is not my native language, but after so many years living here, I think I'm very proficient at it. I'm also working to get a TEFL certificate at the moment.
My goal is to go to teach English in Japan. Being a citizen from a non English speaking country though, will make that difficult. So my question is, do you actually know of anybody who was given a work visa to teach in Japan, and that is not a citizen from an English speaking country? Wondering specifically for companies such as Interact, AEON, Gaba, and the like.

Thanks in advance.

>>>>>> UPDATE <<<<<<<<

I GOT HIRED! Very Happy so read along if you want to know the story.

Edit: So I made a YouTube channel. I'm going post vlogs about Japan and stuff. Anyways, I've uploaded a video where I talk about advice for non native English speakers trying to get a teaching job in Japan.
So, if anybody is in need for more "how to" info on the matter. Feel free to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-ZPjl_vcw

Last edited by jesso92 on Thu May 26, 2016 3:37 am; edited 5 times in total
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With just a BA, Gaba is your best bet, but there are downsides to it.

Last edited by mitsui on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
jesso92

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I can tough up any downsides that come my way. If I can get to Japan through Gaba, I can work my way up to a better situation. I need to get my foot in the door, and really, I'll work for any of these companies regardless of how many horrible reviews I've already read haha.
Mitsui, do you know of anybody working at Gaba that comes from a similar situation as me?
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly, but I knew an Israeli who worked there.
He must have studied in the US and lived there for several years.

I heard of a woman from west Africa who worked there too.
Maybe she was from Ghana.

Last edited by mitsui on Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know two people from Costa Rica. One is doing well teaching at a university but he has a MA.
The other does ALT work but teaches Spanish as well.

Most Spanish speakers here are from Peru.
jesso92

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I could teach Spanish as well. I just haven't seen it advertised anywhere. That second guy from Costa Rica, is he in Japan on a work visa? I wonder if he teaches English and Spanish at the same company.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a work visa, but he works at a junior high.
The Spanish teaching is somewhere else.
He has to commute sometimes for certain work, like up in Saitama.
Not much demand for Spanish, usually it is at language schools.

I did know a man from Spain who did work at a kindergarten as an English teacher, but he hated it and quit.

People who teach other languages like German, French, Italian, etc. really have to hustle and network.

I thought the Spanish embassy had a language school.
Is it the Centro Espanol? No, it must be private.

Ah, there is Instituto Cervantes.

Translation work is around but hard to find.
I knew a man from Bilbao, and he was really good at it.
Probably he had 1kyu in Japanese.

And there are many teachers from the Philippines. I think they often teach children (elementary level).
Lamarr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaba hire non-native instructors. I worked there recently and there were some Spaniards there, Philippine, French, East European. I knew a Mexican guy teaching at Shane also. I did some work for Interac years ago and they hired non-native speakers also.

You'll obviously need qualifications in, or be able to demonstrate, an advanced level of English. In fact, your English grammar will probably be better than a native speaker. A TEFL certificate may be useful, though these places generally don't require it. A place like Gaba doesn't teach in the "communicative style" anyway, so it's not going to improve your teaching skill a great deal.

I've written plenty of frank comments about Gaba on here, and Shane is just as bad as well. Though if it's your first year or two of teaching English and living in Japan, it's probably survivable, and you'll have the interest and enjoyment of being in Japan to keep you going. Then you can get your experience up and look for something better.
jesso92

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lamarr, Thanks for the information. The biggest hurdle I'm facing right now, is the fact that I dont have 12 years of education in an English speaking country. Apparently its required for Japan to give me a visa. I sent an email to Interac inquiring about my qualifications being enough or not. They just emailed me back today telling me the 12 years of education thing so.

But I keep hearing about Gaba hiring non-natives, so, maybe they have their tricks to by pass that rule?

Had never heard of Shane, I'll check them out.
jesso92

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

So here is something odd. I kept talking to the interac employee who contacted me. And, he said this regarding the 12 year rule.

-I understand your sentiments, but Immigration is (being Japan) rather strict about the requirements for issuing visas.
We cannot apply for a visa from overseas without 12 years documented.

What I recommend is that you have a look at Gaijinpot.com and see some of the other companies who may have less stringent requirements. Interac will still be around if you get here by another path.

Then I asked him If other companies where more flexible with the 12 year rule.

-I can't speak for other companies, but as Interac is the largest applicant for visas in Japan, we cannot take risks being loose with Immigration.

This seems to indicate, that some companies can afford to skip over the rule of 12 years of documented English education. Which is good. Well, good and bad. Bad because this automatically disqualifies me from companies such as Interac, and probably a few others. Good because it indicates that there are schools out there, that would bypass the biggest hurdle in my way.

And the search continues. I dont know if its worth it anymore applying to Interac anymore under this circumstances, I think I should probably focus on like Gaba, Shane, and maybe others like Coco Juku, Epion, and other medium size companies.
Lamarr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've written on other forums, I'd recommend Aeon, ECC, Berlitz or Shane as they pay you a regular, fixed salary. Gaba and Nova only pay you per lesson, so your pay goes up and down each month, and they don't give you holiday pay.
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesso92 wrote:
UPDATE

So here is something odd. I kept talking to the interac employee who contacted me. And, he said this regarding the 12 year rule.

-I understand your sentiments, but Immigration is (being Japan) rather strict about the requirements for issuing visas.
We cannot apply for a visa from overseas without 12 years documented.

What I recommend is that you have a look at Gaijinpot.com and see some of the other companies who may have less stringent requirements. Interac will still be around if you get here by another path.

Then I asked him If other companies where more flexible with the 12 year rule.

-I can't speak for other companies, but as Interac is the largest applicant for visas in Japan, we cannot take risks being loose with Immigration.

This seems to indicate, that some companies can afford to skip over the rule of 12 years of documented English education. Which is good. Well, good and bad. Bad because this automatically disqualifies me from companies such as Interac, and probably a few others. Good because it indicates that there are schools out there, that would bypass the biggest hurdle in my way.

And the search continues. I dont know if its worth it anymore applying to Interac anymore under this circumstances, I think I should probably focus on like Gaba, Shane, and maybe others like Coco Juku, Epion, and other medium size companies.

Sorry to hear about the disappointing news. Seems sort of ironic, that your education has left you bilingual (or nearly so, if your writing here on the forum is any indication) and thus, in my opinion, doubly qualified for an instructor visa, it disqualifies you in the end.
Also disappointing that to pursue in this, you need to sign up with dodgier-than-average companies to get in. Any company that looks the other way when dealing with immigration is probably going to be less than honest when dealing with their employees.
JET Program looks like they have some CIR openings for Mexico. How's your Japanese?
jesso92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the disappointing news. Seems sort of ironic, that your education has left you bilingual (or nearly so, if your writing here on the forum is any indication) and thus, in my opinion, doubly qualified for an instructor visa, it disqualifies you in the end.
Also disappointing that to pursue in this, you need to sign up with dodgier-than-average companies to get in. Any company that looks the other way when dealing with immigration is probably going to be less than honest when dealing with their employees.
JET Program looks like they have some CIR openings for Mexico. How's your Japanese?

Hey Marley'sghost

Well, Like I said, its good and bad, that Interac revealed to me the ugly truth about the 12 year rule. Because in a way it tells me that other companies do bypass that rule, its a possible fact. So it reassures me that I am not out of the game.

The Jet program huh? I do know they hire people from a bunch of countries, but didn't see anything about Mexico in their site. Also, Isn't Jet the hardest one to get into? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the acronym CIR.
My Japanese its pretty low, Its not non-existent. But its too low level, not enough for a basic conversation. I can read Hiragan and Katakana, I'm passively studying currently.
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nickname of Shane is Shame. The unions are watching them,
and keeping an eye on GABA. I can't recommend either of them.
jesso92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsui, What would you do if you were me? What path would you take?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: