Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I move to Paris in December or January?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastignac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Should I move to Paris in December or January? Reply with quote

So I understand that January is the secondary peak hiring season for ESL work in France. However, does that mean I should move to Paris already in December (say, the beginning of the month) and begin looking for work for the following month, or that I should only move in January? I'm fine with either option, but if companies are only going to begin looking for teachers in January it's probably better I wait another month before setting up, no?

Also, I'm curious just how likely it is to find work outside of the September/January window in Paris? Would it be better to move to a smaller city if I'm unable to find work in Paris for January?

Just for reference: I'm an EU citizen with a BA in English Lit. and a CELTA. I'm also fairly proficient with the French language. Not completely fluent, mind you, but I'm able to express myself fairly well.

If anyone could please help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
kpjf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd prefer a smaller city as I heard Paris can be a bit of a nightmare to get accommodation. I heard for Parisians even this is a big problem with agencies demanding that your salary is 3 times your rent, which could be problematic with Parisian flat prices and what salary you actually get.

I guess it's up to you to go early and look for jobs whilst you're getting set up or wait until January. However, I'd imagine that the very start of January could be a bit dead, so maybe moving then would be fine.

Smaller cities naturally will have few opportunities, but I guess if you choose a medium sized city that would be ok. I worked in a university in France but trying to find a second job to supplement my income proved quite difficult considering the lack of language centres in the city (it was a city of about 150,000).

Knowing French is definitely a plus. I'm registered on "TeachingJobsinFrance" which sends you every new job available via email.

To subscribe:
[email protected] (I'm in no way affiliated with this site but got my uni job through it last year).

It's definitely worth subscribing to, though emails are thin on the ground at the moment as you can imagine. I do have one in my inbox saying they are looking English teachers. Maybe it's worth sending your CV to this person [email protected]. It says they are looking teachers for Annecy, Avignon and Ile de France.

Good luck! If you need any more info let me know.
Shakey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
Personally, I'd prefer a smaller city as I heard Paris can be a bit of a nightmare to get accommodation. I heard for Parisians even this is a big problem with agencies demanding that your salary is 3 times your rent, which could be problematic with Parisian flat prices and what salary you actually get.

Thank you for the information.

Are you American, or are you an EU citizen?

I'm from the U.S. and would like to know which country would be most lucrative to teach EFL. Also, I would prefer a full time university teaching position. Are there any websites that would advertise university TEFL positions for Europe? So far, I've found Euraxess and the the Linguist websites. Are there any others that people can refer to for vacancies?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey, you are dreaming impossibly high.

First, there are hiring laws that strongly prefer EU member citizens, and there are loads of highly qualified and experienced UK/Irish/other EU teachers around. No need for an institution to jump through the very high legal hoops to get a visa for a non-EU teacher.

Second, university positions in Europe don't change over much; there are relatively few job openings. Most native English speakers who hold these jobs have long-term local ties (family, usually) along with local contacts and language skills.

Third, the positions that are available will require at minimum a related MA degree + experience.

Wages throughout Europe are living wages only - these aren't 'lucrative' if you need to pay off debt back home or you want to save up much.

You are highly unlikely to find anything 'lucrative' 'university' on this continent.

BTW, your experience in Asia and aversion to British English will not help here, either.
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Shakey, you are dreaming impossibly high.

Still dreaming I see!

From June 2015:

Shakey wrote:
The salary for lecteur d'anglais positions is 1,200 Euro a month, is that right? That's only about US $1,300 a month. I'm shocked that the salaries are so low.

I was expecting that those positions would pay around 3,000 Euro a month. Are there any university TEFL positions in France that would have a salary of about 3,000 ~ 4,000 Euro a month?

Shakey wrote:

I'm from the U.S. and would like to know which country would be most lucrative to teach EFL. Also, I would prefer a full time university teaching position. Are there any websites that would advertise university TEFL positions for Europe? So far, I've found Euraxess and the the Linguist websites. Are there any others that people can refer to for vacancies?

Don't we all want to know where the pot o' gold is! And where are those damn leprechauns when you need 'em? I'm an EU citizen btw. As Spiral says "you are dreaming impossibly high" and as money is your main objective let me just say clearly: forget about Europe! If we Europeans can't even get them how could non-EU?
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:
kpjf wrote:

You might be able to get a private university position but it's certainly not lucrative. It has a good hourly rate but only lasts for six months of the year. It's unlikely you can walk into such a position even with the right passport.
Shakey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
Shakey wrote:

You might be able to get a private university position but it's certainly not lucrative. It has a good hourly rate but only lasts for six months of the year. It's unlikely you can walk into such a position even with the right passport.

Thank, Nicky.

I'm used to a certain life style and demand a certain level of income for my expeirence and qualifications, so I would not every want to do it on a lick and a spit.

It sounds rough in Europe, now, eh?

I'm doing well financially in Asia, but I'm bored to death. I like Europe and would like to live and work there as an instructor.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm doing well financially in Asia, but I'm bored to death. I like Europe and would like to live and work there as an instructor.

With a US passport, it's not going to happen in any kind of lucrative context.
Visit on holiday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: