Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching at a Taiwanese University?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seyz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Teaching at a Taiwanese University? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for information about getting university positions in Asia and I have thus far completely overlooked Taiwan. I almost finished with my Ph.D. in a social science discipline and due to lack of funding at my university, I am presently working for a private company teaching English and translating. I also have a few years of ESL/EFL teaching experience at an American university. However, I would like to transition into a university position and was wondering what the situation was like in Taiwan? I have not seen many ads for jobs in Taiwan universities and my other searches have thus far failed. I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide some information about this area.

Thank you very much.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching at a Taiwanese University? Reply with quote

seyz wrote:
. . due to lack of funding at my university . . .

Due to the falling birth rate, universities in Taiwan are contracting so don't expect a job to fall into your lap anytime soon. And if you were to get a job, salaries and promotional opportunities suck. Taiwan is a dead end. Best to look elsewhere.
surrealia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: university jobs in Taiwan Reply with quote

I have seen three job openings recently that you might be interested in.

The first one is in Taipei:

National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Language Center
http://cle.ntust.edu.tw/files/15-1086-46659,c4342-1.php?Lang=en

The second is in Taichung, a large city in central Taiwan:

Tunghai University, Language Center
http://elc.thu.edu.tw/201509_contract-based%20search_ad_eng.pdf

The second one is on Jinmen, a small island off the coast of Taiwan:

National Quemoy University, Department of Applied English
http://www.nqu.edu.tw/orghr/index.php?code=list&flag=detail&ids=2260&article_id=32011
surrealia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: university jobs in Taiwan Reply with quote

Also, you can send me a private message if you have any questions. I'm currently teaching at a university in Taiwan.
D. Amokachi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: university jobs in Taiwan Reply with quote

surrealia wrote:
I have seen three job openings recently that you might be interested in.

The first one is in Taipei:

National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Language Center
http://cle.ntust.edu.tw/files/15-1086-46659,c4342-1.php?Lang=en

The second is in Taichung, a large city in central Taiwan:

Tunghai University, Language Center
http://elc.thu.edu.tw/201509_contract-based%20search_ad_eng.pdf

The second one is on Jinmen, a small island off the coast of Taiwan:

National Quemoy University, Department of Applied English
http://www.nqu.edu.tw/orghr/index.php?code=list&flag=detail&ids=2260&article_id=32011

Out of interest, where did you find these links? Is there a dedicated website advertising jobs in Taiwan? Thanks
surrealia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two websites occasionally feature ads:

www.tealit.com

and

www.most.gov.tw

However, don't count on seeing hundreds of ads. The job market is pretty bad.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP's doctorate major is anthropology with a focus on literature and culture.
markcmc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falling birthrates have made it tough to find work in universities in Taiwan, and many language departments have closed. It should still be possible to find part-time work, which might turn into full-time, if they like you. But unless you have a special reason for coming to Taiwan, it might not be the best choice. And I'm speaking as someone who's lived here a long time and like the country.
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcmc wrote:
Falling birthrates have made it tough to find work in universities in Taiwan, and many language departments have closed. It should still be possible to find part-time work, which might turn into full-time, if they like you. But unless you have a special reason for coming to Taiwan, it might not be the best choice. And I'm speaking as someone who's lived here a long time and like the country.

And that just about sums things up in Taiwan from someone who lives there. Nuff said.
Shakey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching at a Taiwanese University? Reply with quote

seyz wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for information about getting university positions in Asia and I have thus far completely overlooked Taiwan. I almost finished with my Ph.D. in a social science discipline and due to lack of funding at my university, I am presently working for a private company teaching English and translating. I also have a few years of ESL/EFL teaching experience at an American university. However, I would like to transition into a university position and was wondering what the situation was like in Taiwan? I have not seen many ads for jobs in Taiwan universities and my other searches have thus far failed. I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide some information about this area.

Thank you very much.

Taiwan is a dud. Forget it.

Look to Japan for the most lucrative university (if tenured, or even contracted) TEFL work. Second, consider the UAE or other positions in the M.E.

Taiwan TEFL has been on the wane for the last 8 years. It has entered a serious decline.

Enter at your own peril.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching at a Taiwanese University? Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:
Taiwan TEFL has been on the wane for the last 8 years. It has entered a serious decline.

Enter at your own peril.

Couldn't agree more. NTU can't even afford to pay their teacher's salaries on time!

https://www.reddit.com/r/taiwan/comments/3he8h1/work_at_ntu_salary_is_more_than_two_weeks_late/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: