Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

holidays in France in Dec. & Jan. ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: holidays in France in Dec. & Jan. ?? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone...

For anyone working in or with a company in France...

Can you tell me what the working months of December and January is like for the 'holiday' season in France?

Do local people take many vacation days or are there many holidays in December and January?

What month do peoples work schedules in France go back to normal?

Thank you all
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we rush in to be helpful, can you say whether you are asking these question for yourself, as a US citizen, or whether you are gathering information for your own website? I ask because I am more inclined to be helpful in responding to a genuine personal request, than if you are once again using Dave's to collect information for your own "Esl Consulting" business. Confused
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all concerned... I do not have an ESL consulting business. But, anyone of course can feel free to respond to anything on Daves or not for whatever reasons they may or may not have.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions are rather odd if they're for your personal information. Why do you care what kinds of holidays working people in France take? You work in Latin America, I believe, and as a US citizen, you're not eligible to work in France anyway. Working holidays in France wouldn't impact your own holiday travel plans to France in any way, so it's a mystery why you'd be interested.

Unless you have a website and are gathering information for others. In which case it would be the honest thing to do to say so, as other posters have done in the past.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have made it my business to know these things.
Partly because I have a web site on teaching abroad which includes a great deal of info about criminal background.

Quote:

Either way here is the link:
http://www.fueraeslconsulting.info/resources/schools/europe-schools/germany-schools/

The link is now dead. Perhaps the business is, too? Or maybe you are reorganizing?

Quote:

I do not know that much about Italy.

But - I do study different hiring requirements for institutions around the world when i have time for my esl site.

Quote:

I have a free esl site for teacher resources.
The Mexico school list is the most extensive I've seen anywhere ever.
I've worked hardest on the Mexico school list because my husband to be is Mexican & I will start off teaching in Mexico

And today's post on the Chile forum--are you asking these questions for your own personal interest, as well?
Quote:

Does Chile still get a huge amount of ESL teachers?

Can Chile support the amount of people going there looking for work?
How difficult is it to find work there?

Do you feel there is enough work for the amount of ESL teachers looking?

Is it possible to live comfortably on the amount the average teacher is paid?

Is it possible to work at just one school these days? Or, do teachers still have to travel from school to school to make full time hours?

I personally have no problem with your using Dave's members to gather info for your own site. I would simply prefer to know when you are posting for that purpose, and when you are asking for information for your own personal use.

Last edited by AGoodStory on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a consumer, I'd be VERY wary of a consulting website created by a relative newbie to the EFL world with minimal qualifications and experience in only one country.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the link is dead... I may be hiding something though. Everyone should research much more. What a huge waste of time everyone has spent focusing on me. I was simply asking for what the holiday schedule is.

I would like to say here... The simple fact that the first poster would even remember what I was trying to do over a year ago is mind blowing. Then to have the wherewithal to attempt to use it against me is... I dont know. Its strange, weird and misguided. Did you actually look up and read ALL of the past posts I have ever made? That is just plan stupid. Why would anyone do that on a site that is meant to share information? That question is rhetorical by the way. I don't really care about your answer. What I will say here is that NONE of this information posted here was helpful to me or anyone on any level. And this question was so very basic. Everyone that posted here has put up a road block, derailed the entire post and ruined the chances of anyone actually answering my original question which was so simple and direct in the first place. That is not what DAVES is meant for. DAVES is designed to help people exchange information. NOne of the posters here have done any of that. How much time do you all have on your hands to harass and troll postings on DAVES? I feel this is why DAVES is not as popular as it used to be.

As for spiral78...

Damn you spiral78. As usual your are wrong on all counts. Where I work or live is none of your business. And no I don't only work in Latin America. Anything else is simply none of your business. You road block all who dare to ask any questions about the EU. You always have and always do for anyone and everyone. You must get some pleasure out of it. I really don't know and don't care. You do a great deal of finger pointing and calling people out for asking any questions about the EU. I can't imagine what type of job you actually have outside of DAVES. I can't imagine what type of place you would actually excel at in the real world. But, obviously you work somewhere and someone did actually hire you with your personality. Your very holier than thou, very I'm better than you, very I know more than you and very entitled. And your an instigator on top of everything else. So, as you know conversations/ postings in the past involving you have never gone far, ever. Your thing is to troll, put a stop to anything I post and harass. It always has been like that with you. I don't know why you feel a need to do such things on DAVES. The amount of time you have to waste must be enormous. Its a waste of time for the poster when someone like you trolls so heavily. But, I've said all this before to you specifically. Other members have even stepped in and basically told you to back off. I am far to old to deal with this anymore.

Everyone who posted here said nothing helpful. Then on top of all that trying to dig and find information about why you should not answer the posters question. Then everyone posted their little opinions about the poster (me) for all to see. Is that supposed to be some type of internet slap across the face. We are not giving you information that we know you want, 'HA, HA, HA!!' I wish I had more energy to spend on shit like this but I just don't. I'm just tired, just trying to get through the day. This site has proven to be useless because of people like who have posted here.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've got a very long history of being quite helpful to people who are realistically trying to find work in the EU. Right up to and including today, on the newbie forum.

It's true that I was unable to encourage you a few years back when you made inquiries about teaching in the EU yourself; with a US passport and Mexican spouse, the legal and logistical barriers were basically insurmountable. Presumably that's why you haven't taught in Europe; it's certainly not because I discouraged you.

But yes, I'm suspicious of the intent to use information like that requested here for commercial or consultant purposes.

We have had other posters here on Dave's who also had consulting/informational websites, but the others that I am aware of made it clear that this was the case (honest about it) so that we could choose to contribute or not. I prefer not.

I also have a problem with someone who aims to inform others about parts of the world in which they have no actual experience; this comes across to me as dishonest as well. This is why I do not comment about how to teach in Latin America, for example.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there have been several posters recently posting on different country threads, getting helpful info an then disappearing. Everybody is pretty fed up with it as we feel they're just time wasters or have ulterior motives. I have no idea if you're one of them but I just wanted to give you the context.

To answer your question, Christmas is not nearly as big a deal in France as the UK. Boxing day is not a holiday and neither is January 2nd. From a teaching point of view (at least at my uni) you can expect to be off for two weeks.
kpjf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
Hi, there have been several posters recently posting on different country threads, getting helpful info an then disappearing. Everybody is pretty fed up with it as we feel they're just time wasters or have ulterior motives. I have no idea if you're one of them but I just wanted to give you the context.

To answer your question, Christmas is not nearly as big a deal in France as the UK. Boxing day is not a holiday and neither is January 2nd. From a teaching point of view (at least at my uni) you can expect to be off for two weeks.

This is a pet hate of mine. You answer someone's question and they don't have the decency to, at the very least, say "Thanks". Then you think, why bother!

Inotu-unotme, I think you've gone a little too far in your criticisms. For example, you put a message on months back asking for European newspapers. I went to the trouble of getting the links for the top Spanish, French and German ones and there was absolutely no "Thanks kpjf". Was this not useful? Isn't it bad manners to ask for assistance on a forum and not even bother to reply to the people helping? Furthermore, talking about doing research this could have been easily done yourself by using Google (searching for newspapers).

Quote:
I would like to say here... The simple fact that the first poster would even remember what I was trying to do over a year ago is mind blowing.

Is it that mind-blowing? I clearly remember your request for the newspapers as it seemed quite odd and you didn't explain yourself. We can't win, can we? Either we're spending too much time focusing on you, or we're not being helpful.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:

This is a pet hate of mine. You answer someone's question and they don't have the decency to, at the very least, say "Thanks". Then you think, why bother!.

I could count on one hand the number of times I've had a 'thanks' on Dave's (forum posts or PMs) or from any of the university students I teach (especially when I've gone above and beyond). You're right: why bother?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: