Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Becoming a DOS/Manager at a language school.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimchidon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Becoming a DOS/Manager at a language school. Reply with quote

At witch language schools, if any, is there room to rise up the ranks a little? Do TBI, Wall St, or EF have any NETs as DOSs? Is it worth getting added qualifications like a CELTA or even an MA TESOL if I have my sights set on Indonesia?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Becoming a DOS/Manager at a language school. Reply with quote

Kimchidon wrote:
At witch language schools...

"Witch?" Shocked
Tudor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming a DOS/Manager at a language school. Reply with quote

Kimchidon wrote:
At witch language schools, if any, is there room to rise up the ranks a little? Do TBI, Wall St, or EF have any NETs as DOSs? Is it worth getting added qualifications like a CELTA or even an MA TESOL if I have my sights set on Indonesia?

Yes it is possible - I know a guy who was recently made a DoS at a new EF school and I don't believe he has either a degree or a CELTA plus he has only taught for about a year. Having said that, EF are employing far fewer native speakers than they used to due to difficulties getting work permits. (Bear in mind as well that an EF DoS generally earns less than an entry-level teacher at other language schools).

The same difficulties are plaguing TBI and Wall St (among others) and without an English degree they are unikely to consider you as they just can't get the work permits otherwise. Even if you have an English degree, I very much doubt you would get anywhere near a DoS position at these schools without a CELTA - more and more local teachers are becoming CELTA-qualified nowadays, and I'd say there's a definite shift towards employing and promoting qualified locals over native speakers in language schools.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time doing an MA to work in Indonesia - very few places require one and I know a couple of MA holders who are working alongside teachers who don't even have a BA.
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chat with an old DOS mate on a recent visit to Indonesia-confirmed what was already stated in this thread.......far fewer 'bules' employed in the local language mills these days-for a number of reasons. 1] The pay is pitiful- $800-1000 a month ain't going to attract anybody given the prices in Jakarta + the rampant inflation. 2] The long process to obtain 'legitimate' visa status-5 or 6 months inevitably means running the risk of working illegally during the time it takes to obtain the illusive kitas! Risk arrest/ deportation for a measly $800 a month..... 3] As stated before-many locals have become ESL savvy as it were-they have the qualifications and experience and will accept the lower end of the pay scale. Better methinks to work elsewhere and enjoy the pleasures of Indonesia, [which are many] on a nice extended vacation.... Smile
Tudor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the DoS jobs at some of the better schools (i.e. not EF) will pay $1500 - 2000, but, as already mentioned, without an English degree and a CELTA you're unlikely to land one of those positions. Also, regardless of what you get paid, you're still subject to the ridiculously long waits for a work permit that Tazz mentions above. Six months is being optimistic nowadays - I spoke to someone a few weeks ago who waited SIXTEEN months for a work permit which was then valid for just two months when it was finally issued Rolling Eyes Such is life in Indonesia...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: