Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed for prospective newbie with no degree
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManOfTwoLands wrote:
scot47 wrote:
Get a degree. Then start thinking about teaching.

Why would anyone get a degree to work in TEFL? Makes about as much sense as a degree to work in the fast food industry. Only difference is that McDonald's probably pays better than most TEFL schools.

For starters, a bachelor's degree today is equal to what a high school diploma was 30+ years ago. A BA has become the minimum for employment compared to a decade ago and is the requirement for most TEFL employers and/or government regs. Plus, the pool of TEFL job opportunities for those without a bachelor's degree continues to shrink.

As for Micky D paying more than what a degreed EFL teacher abroad earns, it mainly depends on where that TEFL job is. Besides, there are more TEFL opportunities than there are jobs flipping burgers.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an online/weekend TEFL and move to Madrid. There's a lot of work and nobody will be too fussed about the lack of degree.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
Do an online/weekend TEFL and move to Madrid. There's a lot of work and nobody will be too fussed about the lack of degree.

However, a cheapo, substandard TEFL cert will limit the OP even more. Why encourage him to get the easiest qualification when you yourself have both a CELTA and degree and aren't limited to low-paying jobs in a handful of countries?
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too recommend the CELTA. It'll give you a decent foundation in the basics, and it's much more regarded in many schools.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:

However, a cheapo, substandard TEFL cert will limit the OP even more. Why encourage him to get the easiest qualification when you yourself have both a CELTA and degree and aren't limited to low-paying jobs in a handful of countries?

Because most places in Spain or France simply don't care about the CELTA and a basic qualification (or, dare I say it, no qualification) is fine. The only place I worked/interviewed for that cared was IH (and they took people without a CELTA in the business department). If he wants, he can do the CELTA later. I think it's his choice whether to do a degree or not so I'm not offering any advice on that.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:

Because most places in Spain or France simply don't care about the CELTA and a basic qualification (or, dare I say it, no qualification) is fine. The only place I worked/interviewed for that cared was IH (and they took people without a CELTA in the business department). If he wants, he can do the CELTA later. I think it's his choice whether to do a degree or not so I'm not offering any advice on that.

While I agree that this is true in Spain (and have no experience with France,) in his case, since the OP has no degree, a CELTA or equivalent would give schools a reason to want to hire him. It seems to me a better choice for someone without a degree--and little enough investment for the increase in competitiveness it would provide him. In fact, if I had no degree, I wouldn't even consider equivalent certs, I'd just go for a CELTA, or possibly a Trinity, as suggested earlier by NS. Usually I'm quite a strong advocate of high-quality equivalent certs, but I believe the OP would do best to opt for the name recognition.

And, of course, both he and his students might fare better in the classroom! Wink (Than with a week-end cert.)

nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:

It doesn't matter that some employers in a couple of countries have low standards and don't care about TEFL certs; getting the bare minimum limits the OP further as to where he can work over the next 2-5 years. Besides, he stated that he wasn't too interested in Spain nor in a TEFL cert that was worthless in the long run, which is why he seems to be considering the CELTA.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:

It doesn't matter that some employers in a couple of countries have low standards and don't care about TEFL certs; getting the bare minimum limits the OP further as to where he can work over the next 2-5 years. Besides, he stated that he wasn't too interested in Spain nor in a TEFL cert that was worthless in the long run, which is why he seems to be considering the CELTA.

It really does matter. Spain, well Madrid at least, has work that's readily available for those with no experience or qualifications. As for France, the CELTA is really not important and that is certainly not a teachers' market. I've also worked in the UK with people with no CELTA. I'm not saying CELTA is bad, but I wouldn't call it essential, and having taught on a weekend course (not any longer though!), they can certainly be very useful. If you're only in the game for 2 years, you need to think hard about whether it's worth shelling out all that cash.

The OP would be wasting his time (and money) doing an 'internship'' when he can readily get work. He didn't seem to be too keen on Spain because the salaries seems low but he's mistaken (in my belief at least) as you can do well over there. Perhaps he doesn't realise that teachers tend to work for 2 to 3 schools?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG:

Europe is more than just Spain and France.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Nicky_McG:

Europe is more than just Spain and France.

Thanks for that helpful info.

Given that I've got experience in the UK, France and Spain, and the poster mentioned Spain, that's why I'm talking about them. Unlike some other posters on Dave's, I'm not going to offer advice on countries I don't have first-hand experience of.

As it happens, I've met people who've worked in other European countries without a CELTA or equivalent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: