Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overwhelmed with choosing 120h TESOL/TEFL certification!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geostride87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Overwhelmed with choosing 120h TESOL/TEFL certification! Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

My wife and I are native english speakers living in Canada, and are looking to get TESOL or TEFL certified. It seems like we have two options A) do a program that certifies you in the country in which you will end up teaching or B) do a certification here in Canada.

Option A, based on my internet research, will run is at least 2000 USD which really sucks for us due to the poor Canadian Dollar. But out of all the companies I've looked at, we're considering Language Corps Asia.

Option B is limited, as we only have two companies that offer certification; Oxford Seminars, and Global TESOL College (http://www.globaltesol.com/). We are considering the latter simply because they are offering half price for the second certification, which would be my wife's. However, I'm a little concerned, as their 120 hour TESOL certification offers 60 hours in class, and the rest we need to complete online on our own time. How does this compare to TESOL / TEFL Certification standards world wide in terms of recognition and job placement?

Any advice, input or suggestions regarding the options mentioned above, or a better course of action, would be greatly appreciated.

We're mainly looking at going to SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia mainly), but will also consider the middle east.

Thank You so much in advance!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Overwhelmed with choosing 120h TESOL/TEFL certification! Reply with quote

Geostride87 wrote:
We're mainly looking at going to SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia mainly), but will also consider the middle east.

For starters:
Do you both have at least a BA? If so, in what majors?
Do either of you have any ESL teaching experience? If so, how many months/years?

By Middle East, assuming you mean the Gulf, you'd need a CELTA or equivalent 120-hour in-person TEFL cert course. That means it should include at least 6 hours of supervised and assessed teaching practice with a classroom of real students. Degrees and experience are needed as well.
Geostride87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I have a bachelors in Science (Geology), and my wife is finishing up her Bachelors in Science (double degree in Biology/psychology) next month, but wont officially have her degree until June.

We pretty much want to get started with a certification in the next month or two, and be teaching by spring. I understand that my wife, not officially having her degree until June, may not be able to find placement until then. In that case, I can start teaching in the meantime, and she'll start once she officially graduates. We're thinking SE Asia would be a great place to start.

In the meantime, we've just been trying to figure out who to do our certification through.

And no, as of now, we don't have any ESL teaching experience. If it counts, I've coached children's hockey and soccer teams, while my wife has been working with special needs teens. Not the same I know, but I thought i'd mention it all the same.
daryl_ks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago I did my CELTA in Thailand at the ECC in Siam Square. I found (given exchange rates at the time) that this was going to be cheaper than doing it in my home country of NZ (although I was living in Taiwan at the time so was closer in terms of airfare).

If you are planning on being in SE Asia, then perhaps you could do the CELTA at one of the centres in that region...

http://www.eccthai.com/contactus/siambranchmap.asp

Cheers
Geostride87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daryl_ks wrote:
Many moons ago I did my CELTA in Thailand at the ECC in Siam Square. I found (given exchange rates at the time) that this was going to be cheaper than doing it in my home country of NZ (although I was living in Taiwan at the time so was closer in terms of airfare).

If you are planning on being in SE Asia, then perhaps you could do the CELTA at one of the centres in that region...

http://www.eccthai.com/contactus/siambranchmap.asp

Cheers

Thanks for the link. I checked CELTA and its pretty much the same price as TEFL in most of the places I've checked, so certainly a better option.

They have a TESOL certificate as well. Is this the same as the widely accepted 120 hour certificate? http://www.eccthai.com/training/tesolhome.asp
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostride87 wrote:
They have a TESOL certificate as well. Is this the same as the widely accepted 120 hour certificate?

That TESOL cert may only be widely-accepted in Thailand. On the other hand, CELTA (Cambridge English Language Assessment), Trinity CertTESOL (Trinity College London), and even SIT TESOL (SIT Graduate Institute) are internationally-known brands that include those crucial 6 hours of supervised, assessed teaching practice with a classroom of real students. That's the component that makes generic 120-hour, in-person TESOL/TEFL courses equal to the three branded certs. It's proof to prospective employers that the job applicant has satisfactorily completed supervised, hands-on teacher training. So if you're looking at vanilla TEFL courses, don't overlook the specific course modules. As for Canada, other posters can tell you about your options for cert courses offered in your area.

By the way, since cost is a huge factor, keep in mind you'll need to save for start-up costs to cover visas, med exams, airfare, lodging, food, ground transportation, etc.

and Geostride87 wrote:
I have a bachelors in Science (Geology), and my wife is finishing up her Bachelors in Science (double degree in Biology/psychology) next month, but wont officially have her degree until June.

And no, as of now, we don't have any ESL teaching experience. If it counts, I've coached children's hockey and soccer teams, while my wife has been working with special needs teens. Not the same I know, but I thought i'd mention it all the same.

Mark the Middle East/Gulf off your list; your lack of EFL teaching experience and newly-minted TEFL certs wouldn't get your CVs a second look. Even with experience and a TEFL qualification, your unrelated degrees would limit you to Saudi Arabia.

I know you're focused on TEFL, but another option is that both you and your wife get certified in your fields (earth sciences for you/biology for her) and teach science for a couple of years in Canada. Once you have that experience under your belt, you'd qualify to teach at the better international schools worldwide, especially since there's a high need for STEM teachers.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostride87 wrote:
Hello Everyone!

My wife and I are native english speakers living in Canada, and are looking to get TESOL or TEFL certified. It seems like we have two options A) do a program that certifies you in the country in which you will end up teaching or B) do a certification here in Canada.

Go to TESL Canada and look at the program list. Which province are you in, anyway? It DOES make a difference. Ontario has 'certificates' offered at universities and colleges (see . They're an academic year in length. It's not too late to apply for September start with at least some of them. But that is an awful lot of money to spend on something if you aren't looking to for a career in this.

Quote:

Option A, based on my internet research, will run is at least 2000 USD which really sucks for us due to the poor Canadian Dollar. But out of all the companies I've looked at, we're considering Language Corps Asia.

US$2000 isn't all that much. I guess it depends on the length and depth of the program...

Quote:

Option B is limited, as we only have two companies that offer certification; Oxford Seminars, and Global TESOL College (http://www.globaltesol.com/). We are considering the latter simply because they are offering half price for the second certification, which would be my wife's. However, I'm a little concerned, as their 120 hour TESOL certification offers 60 hours in class, and the rest we need to complete online on our own time. How does this compare to TESOL / TEFL Certification standards world wide in terms of recognition and job placement?

You'd be far better off getting a CELTA than either of these. Again, go to TESL Canada. But since you're looking at going to SE Asia, the CELTA offered in Vietnam has a good reputation.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Overwhelmed with choosing 120h TESOL/TEFL certification! Reply with quote

Geostride87 wrote:

Thank You so much in advance!

Patience.

NOTHING is going to happen until you have your degrees conferred. The various immigration and other relevant authorities will want to see the original as well as your university issued transcripts.

It is a new year and new rules under AEC are applicable.

For work in SE Asia you need a degree, transcripts, police check, ticket to the country and a tourist visa.

In Thailand the TEFL/TESOL cert is nice to have but NOT a requirement. Having a degree in your hot little hands is the requirement as are transcripts and a police check.

In Cambodia, cash, passport and a degree are what is needed. A TESOL cert (TESOL, CELTA, TEFL, etc) is nice to have but again not a requirement for the visa, work permit or finding a job.

The same is true for Vietnam but a CELTA is highly regarded. You can pretty much skip the "Oxford Seminars" and other generic courses. The 60 + 60 blended course was designed for the Korean market (Busan EPIK specifically).

If you want brand recognition then CELTA (the Cambridge branded TESOL cert) has the best "record" but within the region a TEFL/TESOL is NOT a requirement.

ALL of that said, having a TEFL cert IS a bonus when you get thrown into a classroom with 50 kids, minimal supplies, minimal support and the instructions to the teacher are simply to "Teach Engrish".

Before you toss a bucket load of cash into this.... try being a TEFL teacher in SE Asia for a year. If you like what you are doing, take 30 days during your vacation break and get your CELTA.

Don't spend 4 grand on speculation for jobs that will pay $900/month. You'll get work anyway. Just be here at the end of April.
IF, after you try it, you decide to stay with it for a few years then the CELTA or other decent TEFL cert will be an investment woth spending the money on.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostride87:

- What are your teaching goals? Do you and your wife plan to teach long term or just for a few years?

- Do you expect to eventually add the Middle East to your list of regions?
Geostride87

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GambateBingBangBOOM wrote:
Geostride87 wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Go to TESL Canada and look at the program list. Which province are you in, anyway? It DOES make a difference. Ontario has 'certificates' offered at universities and colleges (see . They're an academic year in length. It's not too late to apply for September start with at least some of them. But that is an awful lot of money to spend on something if you aren't looking to for a career in this.

Quote:

US$2000 isn't all that much. I guess it depends on the length and depth of the program...

Quote:

You'd be far better off getting a CELTA than either of these. Again, go to TESL Canada. But since you're looking at going to SE Asia, the CELTA offered in Vietnam has a good reputation.

Thanks for all the input! I've checked the TESL Canada link, and its proving to be a great link! We're in Alberta btw.

I actually had never even considered CELTA, as most of the job postings on Daves ESL Job board just ask for TESOL or TEFL. Something to look in to!

Quote:
Before you toss a bucket load of cash into this.... try being a TEFL teacher in SE Asia for a year. If you like what you are doing, take 30 days during your vacation break and get your CELTA.

Don't spend 4 grand on speculation for jobs that will pay $900/month. You'll get work anyway. Just be here at the end of April.
IF, after you try it, you decide to stay with it for a few years then the CELTA or other decent TEFL cert will be an investment woth spending the money on.

So you're saying there's a chance that we can find teaching positions in Thailand without being certified? I do have my degree in hand right now, my wife wont until June. Technically I can begin working until she officially graduates.

Quote:
Geostride87:

- What are your teaching goals? Do you and your wife plan to teach long term or just for a few years?

- Do you expect to eventually add the Middle East to your list of regions?

Basically, we're thinking 1-2 years of travelling and teaching. Personally, I've been working as a geologist in the Oil and Gas sector, but am not sure if it's for me long term. And given the recession in the industry at the moment, this may be the best time to get out. I've backpacked a fair bit in the last decade or so, and really want to experience a place more than just a few weeks at a time. This is how the idea of teaching and travelling came about.....and we'll see where it takes us. The middle east is certainly on our minds, but given their requirements and the fact that neither of us actually have degrees in English or Linguistics (as many of the postings on the job board indicate), we understand that may not be a possibility. We're totally okay with that, Asia has plenty to offer Very Happy

As for just the TEFL courses, Language Corps Asia and SeeTEFL are the ones we're currently looking at. Does anyone have any intel on thongsook international? (http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=37891)

Once again, thank you all for responding with your input! I really appreciate it! Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostride87 wrote:
Basically, we're thinking 1-2 years of travelling and teaching. Personally, I've been working as a geologist in the Oil and Gas sector, but am not sure if it's for me long term. And given the recession in the industry at the moment, this may be the best time to get out. I've backpacked a fair bit in the last decade or so, and really want to experience a place more than just a few weeks at a time. This is how the idea of teaching and travelling came about.....and we'll see where it takes us. The middle east is certainly on our minds, but given their requirements and the fact that neither of us actually have degrees in English or Linguistics (as many of the postings on the job board indicate), we understand that may not be a possibility. We're totally okay with that, Asia has plenty to offer.

There are plenty of teachers in the Mid East teaching with unrelated degrees; however, you'd need a solid TEFL cert and experience. But if you're only planning to teach EFL for 1-2 years and are mainly looking at Thailand, then follow suphanburi's advice (above) about what you need and don't need.

You'd have to ask about those specific TEFL courses on the Thailand forum, if that's still something you want to pursue.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostride87 wrote:
Quote:

So you're saying there's a chance that we can find teaching positions in Thailand without being certified? I do have my degree in hand right now, my wife wont until June. Technically I can begin working until she officially graduates.

That is exactly what I am saying and don't let the naysayers or dream sellers convince you otherwise. http://site.ksp.or.th/home.php?site=englishsite (Thai Council of Teachers).
The requirement is a degree and be a native speaker (or proof of proficiency for NNES.)

If you have a degree, a Canadian passport, a white face (or at least are not as ugly as Quasimodo) and are in SE Asia in April there is a 100% chance of finding an EFL teaching job even if you do not have a TEFL cert.

Having or not having a TEFL cert won't make any difference in your job search if you are here. Nobody is going to buy you an airplane ticket just because you have a TEFL cert. (SE Asia isn't Korea).

As I said earlier, the TEFL cert is nice to have so you have some clue when you get thrown into a classroom but it it neither a job, visa or work permit requirement. (The degree however, IS). The same is true for Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

Geostride87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Geostride87 wrote:
Quote:

That is exactly what I am saying and don't let the naysayers or dream sellers convince you otherwise. http://site.ksp.or.th/home.php?site=englishsite (Thai Council of Teachers).
The requirement is a degree and be a native speaker (or proof of proficiency for NNES.)

If you have a degree, a Canadian passport, a white face (or at least are not as ugly as Quasimodo) and are in SE Asia in April there is a 100% chance of finding an EFL teaching job even if you do not have a TEFL cert.

Having or not having a TEFL cert won't make any difference in your job search if you are here. Nobody is going to buy you an airplane ticket just because you have a TEFL cert. (SE Asia isn't Korea).

As I said earlier, the TEFL cert is nice to have so you have some clue when you get thrown into a classroom but it it neither a job, visa or work permit requirement. (The degree however, IS). The same is true for Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

Everything checks out except for the white face part Rolling Eyes

I'm totally on board with going over and teaching for a bit without the initial investment in TEFL, and then using time off to do a CELTA, if we choose to continue on with teaching.

Do you know of any schools we can contact and interview with before hand, so that we can have something set up before arriving, or any contacts you'd recommend us getting in touch with before we arrive? Or is this scenario strictly based on arriving and shopping around for positions. You can understand why we'd be most comfortable having something set up before we arrive, given this is our first time doing this!

I've been on the job board and, despite the fact that you're right about what's needed to teach in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam, most job postings still ask for a TEFL. Are there any local job boards you know of?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostride87 wrote:
Do you know of any schools we can contact and interview with before hand, so that we can have something set up before arriving, or any contacts you'd recommend us getting in touch with before we arrive? Or is this scenario strictly based on arriving and shopping around for positions. You can understand why we'd be most comfortable having something set up before we arrive, given this is our first time doing this!

I've been on the job board and, despite the fact that you're right about what's needed to teach in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam, most job postings still ask for a TEFL. Are there any local job boards you know of?

This is the general forum. You really need to head over to those country-specific Asia forums for responses from teachers currently working in your target countries.
Geostride87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Geostride87 wrote:

This is the general forum. You really need to head over to those country-specific Asia forums for responses from teachers currently working in your target countries.

Yep, i've been going through those threads and plan on posting. Thanks for the advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: