Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you need original copy of CELTA certificate in Thailand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Do you need original copy of CELTA certificate in Thailand? Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Im due to start my CELTA course in mid-February in Europe in Poland. I am planning to come back home to UK for a few days after and then fly straight to Thailand to try and find work (if I pass the course!).

The only thing is that the CELTA course in Poland have told me that they send the final certificate by post. The course finishes on the 18th March and because I want to get to Thailand ASAP as this is the hiring season, I am worried that I will not get the original copy of my certificate in time.

I know I could post-pone my departure date to Thailand by a week or so, but I just wanted to check first... Are original copies of TEFL/CELTA certificates often required in Thailand, or would a copy suffice? My parents would be able to photocopy it when it arrives in the UK and email it to me in Thailand, and I'm assuming I would be able to get some kind of e-mail confirmation from a tutor that I attended and passed the course... would this be enough?

Any info would be great Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have missed this thread: Getting hired without a TEFL/TESOL + a few other questions
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mostly had no problem submitting scanned copies of my degrees and certs. For the better jobs at universities, they sometimes ask for notarised copies of everything. If you are knocking on doors at language schools I think that you will be fine. Good luck.
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
I have mostly had no problem submitting scanned copies of my degrees and certs. For the better jobs at universities, they sometimes ask for notarised copies of everything. If you are knocking on doors at language schools I think that you will be fine. Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

I am most likely going to be knocking on doors and also applying for jobs that don't require previous teaching experience, so hopefully I should be okay! I'll probably take at least the original document of my University degree just in case.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knocking on doors? Welcome to the Land of Smiles Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you need original copy of CELTA certificate in Thaila Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Hi guys.

Im due to start my CELTA course in mid-February in Europe in Poland. I am planning to come back home to UK for a few days after and then fly straight to Thailand to try and find work (if I pass the course!).

The only thing is that the CELTA course in Poland have told me that they send the final certificate by post. The course finishes on the 18th March and because I want to get to Thailand ASAP as this is the hiring season, I am worried that I will not get the original copy of my certificate in time.

I know I could post-pone my departure date to Thailand by a week or so, but I just wanted to check first... Are original copies of TEFL/CELTA certificates often required in Thailand, or would a copy suffice? My parents would be able to photocopy it when it arrives in the UK and email it to me in Thailand, and I'm assuming I would be able to get some kind of e-mail confirmation from a tutor that I attended and passed the course... would this be enough?

Any info would be great Smile

What you do need to have to find legal work (defined as having the proper visa and work permit) are:
    your original degree, an authenticated copy
    a set of university issued transcripts.
    A police clearance.

If you are going to obtain your non-B visa at a consulate or embassy outside of Thailand you will, now, also need to show a police clearance certificate when you apply for your visa.

What you do not need for finding a job, getting a visa or work permit is a CELTA or other TEFL cert. Not having your cert is a non-issue.
Not having your degree with you IS an issue. It is not like it was a few years ago when dealing with the paperwork.

Welcome to SE Asia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: