Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do You 'Know' About the Philippines Cost of Living?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldandNew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Do You 'Know' About the Philippines Cost of Living? Reply with quote

THANKING YOU ALL WHO RESPOND
-
-> Do you 'know' about the Philippines cost of living?
-
-> I have $1400 per month retirement fund and will look for PART-Time work with an ESL Co. doing online teaching-tutoring.
-
-> costs of living in Philippines (not Manila) One of the other central islands, Bacolod City, Bacolod, Other places. What is rent; 1-2 bedroom apt, clean, furnished simple, safe area.?
-
->I speak a respectable Spanish and Tagalog is similar to Spanish so I think can probably learn the local tongue (quicker than from scratch) and interact with the locals.
- -->Its good to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.
-
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Do You 'Know' About the Philippines Cost of Living? Reply with quote

OldandNew wrote:
THANKING YOU ALL WHO RESPOND
-
-> Do you 'know' about the Philippines cost of living?
-
-> I have $1400 per month retirement fund and will look for PART-Time work with an ESL Co. doing online teaching-tutoring.
-
-> costs of living in Philippines (not Manila) One of the other central islands, Bacolod City, Bacolod, Other places. What is rent; 1-2 bedroom apt, clean, furnished simple, safe area.?
-
->I speak a respectable Spanish and Tagalog is similar to Spanish so I think can probably learn the local tongue (quicker than from scratch) and interact with the locals.
- -->Its good to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.
-

Hiligaynon or Bisaya would be your local language.

Housing, $100-500/month (depending on what you are looking for - Philippine style housing or Kano style (A/C and mod-cons) housing).

At our house electric is about p2000-2500/mo.
Food for a family of 3 runs about p8k (we eat a lot of western style food).
Fuel for cooking, etc. about p1000.
Fuel for the bike - p1000
1500 for internet
500 each for our phones.

I guess all in we spend about 15k peso not including rent.

With a confirmed pension income of 65k pesos /month you'd live a pretty good lifestyle anywhere in the Visayas. Most of our family lives on 150k/year.

OldandNew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You 'Know' About the Philippines Cost of Living? Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

To what degree is Spanish similar/not similar to those languages?
-
suphanburi wrote:
Housing, $100-500/month (depending on what you are looking for - Philippine style housing or Kano style (A/C and mod-cons) housing).

That's quite a spread. $350-$400 USD budgeted for monthly rent should do me well?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You 'Know' About the Philippines Cost of Living? Reply with quote

OldandNew wrote:
suphanburi wrote:

To what degree is Spanish similar/not similar to those languages?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language_in_the_Philippines
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OldandNew,

I stayed mostly near Manila when I was living there so I am not sure about the precise details anywhere else.

Electricity was pretty high. When I taught in South Korea it was much cheaper - the same holds true with China.
I paid about 2500 pesos a month.

It's deceptive there - some things are much cheaper but other things (like electricity) and travel (taxis and buses) are cheaper elsewhere in Asia (S.K. and China).

After you get set up just budget your money and see precisely where it goes. As time goes by you'll have a better idea of what your priorities are as to what to spend and not spend on.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really found the Internet to be a real nightmare in the Philippines. People pull it off, but they usually have to live in a larger city, have expensive redundant providers (though at the end of the day they are in essence the same company) and work for the lower end schools that do not have the Philippines blacklisted for poor Internet.

You may want to focus on other online opportunities which do not require reliable Internet such as test grading.

As long as the dollar stays in its crazy bubble you should be fine. I must say that I am now living in my eleventh country, and found the Philippines to be the second worst country, after China, for ending up having a way higher cost of living than it does on paper. Mostly as a result of the wealth sucking nature of the people, economic oligarchy and government. But that is another thread.
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
I really found the Internet to be a real nightmare in the Philippines. People pull it off, but they usually have to live in a larger city, have expensive redundant providers (though at the end of the day they are in essence the same company) and work for the lower end schools that do not have the Philippines blacklisted for poor Internet.

This also reminded me of the incessant brown outs. When asked why it constantly happens I was always told that they are "upgrading the system".
This "upgrading" to fix it has been going on since almost the dawn of time.
OldandNew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:

Thanks!, This has made me reconsider the Philippines in a new light
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Come to Colombia instead! Better Internet and just about everything else these days. Only real downsides compared to the Philippines is that you actually have to make a bit of effort to have a female friend, the people are friendly but xenophobic, and you can only stay six months a year on a tourist visa.

Then again, getting it renewed after the first three months is fast, efficient and cheap. A nice lady even comes around with a tray and offers free coffee in nice old cups while you wait in a comfortable chair for your appointment. In Cebu, I really grew to hate getting fleeced for a new tourist visa every two months, and all the unpleasantness that came with it.

Uruguay and Argentina are also on sale these days so to say, and have good Internet.

Do the Philippines if you desire. There are some nice things about it. But it has a level of challenges and frustration that will make you nostalgic for the relative sanity and efficiency of Mexico.
OldandNew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: + YOU have Peaked My Interest + Reply with quote

+ YOU have Peaked My Interest +
jimpellow wrote:
No problem. Come to Colombia instead! Better Internet and just about everything else these days. . . .Uruguay and Argentina are also on sale these days so to say, and have good Internet.

Can you comment specifically on:
-
-> I have $1400 per month retirement fund (and will look for PART-Time work with an ESL Co. doing online teaching-tutoring or local tutoring
->I speak a respectable Spanish
-
-> costs of living, What is rent; 1-2 bedroom apt, clean, furnished simple, safe, 'NON-Gringo' area.in your top 2 or 3 'places' in Colombia .Uruguay and Argentina (or as many as you have the energy to write about
-
Que Linda - Thanking you in advance
-
jimpellow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but probably better outside of the Philippines forum. Wink You can PM me and/or post to the relevant SA forum(s).
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldandNew wrote:
jimpellow wrote:

Thanks!, This has made me reconsider the Philippines in a new light

You might also want to consider the visa issue as well since you are talking about working (and this will be an issue everywhere) ....

In the Philippines, rather than bounce around the BI office every 59 days, work illegally and do the tourist visa thing.... an SSRV visa allows you to have a drivers license, legally work and never have to visit the BI offices.

You need to be over 50, have $1000/month pension and $10k in a secure, interest bearing bank account.

http://philippineslifestyle.com/blog/2014/08/30/precise-guide-philippine-srrv-retirement-visa-2014-2015/

or if you prefer a government website without the insight:
http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: