Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worth it to be in Spain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LV83

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Worth it to be in Spain Reply with quote

Hi everyone - I have spent the last 5 years teaching outside of the EU (I am an EU citizen) and should be returning very soon. One thing I've noticed is that unlike most countries outside of Spain (Turkey, M.E, Asia etc), most if not all jobs require split shifts often finishing at 9pm and sometimes moving from school to school. My question is what made you come to Spain and give up normal hours etc. Was/Is it worth it? Any regrets?

Smile
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was worth it but, like you said, split shifts are part of life here, though not necessarily once you get more contacts. It never really bothered me to finish at 10 p.m. as the city was still alive at that time.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define "worth it."

I had a regular job as an Auxiliare but effectively was a split shift with private tutoring jobs. Personally, I hated it, especially as I lived a ways away from Madrid Capital and even then found Madrid to be uninspiring. I wouldn't call it "worth it" and don't miss it except for the wine but I got my masters, so I don't regret it either.

As Nicky said though, the cities are still well alive at 10pm. If you can get in the cities and enough money to support a lifestyle there, you could do worse I suppose!
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Yes, the cities are interesting, even on weekdays after 10 p.m. But large towns will start to close down before then, so you would find them less exciting. I would say that one potential problem in Madrid is lack of accommodation. There is some, but it tends to be disappear quickly once the students arrive for university.
johncoan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
Define "worth it."

I had a regular job as an Auxiliare but effectively was a split shift with private tutoring jobs. Personally, I hated it, especially as I lived a ways away from Madrid Capital and even then found Madrid to be uninspiring.

I lived in Madrid for six months in 2000 and couldn't wait to get out. Apart from the art galleries and some nice cafes, I didn't like anything much about it at all. It's probably my least favourite European capital city.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to work in Spain then Seville, Granada or Valencia would probably be my choices.. I didn't like Madrid, either. San Sebastián also high on the list!
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracias a dios that FINALLY people understand my issues with Madrid. If I had a Euro for every person who was shocked SHOCKED that someone couldn't like Spain... Laughing

Valencia I really quite liked when I went over there for a weekend and wouldn't mind revisiting. Also curious about Barcelona.

Still wouldn't consider living there for 700€-1000€ a month though. Just not "worth it" for my time when I could be making twice if not three times the money elsewhere and have a much better time of it.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your personality. If you're an extrovert who loves pubs and discos, hard to beat Spain. If you're a quiet introvert like me, then you might end up being a bit overwhelmed.

I can't speak for the major cities, but there seems to be a serious lack of diversity regarding hobbies and interests here. Basically, everything seems centered around drinking and dancing. I don't drink alcohol and don't enjoy dancing. My hobbies and interests are often indoor activities (board games, video games, card games) or unpopular sports (ping pong, badminton) and they are often frowned down upon and/or stigmatized.

It is possible that I will be leaving Spain at the end of this school year. I feel that the culture is hindering my growth and forcing me to be something I'm not.
JRJohn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

If you are an extravert and like going to bars and pubs, you will still have to be able to afford the drinks! This can be a problem in places like Madrid or Barcelona, as I found out this year. I was on holiday in Madrid this year, but would have had to be much more frugal if I was living there.
georginasmiley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here for 3 years and can't make it work. The low salary is a huge problem for me as is the lack of work during holidays. But another thing to consider if you're coming to Spain is compatibility with the people and the culture. If you are a quiet, shy person you may feel like you are being eaten alive every single day by almost everyone you meet. I don't fit in here at all. In my own country and other countries I had few run-ins with anyone but in Spain I find myself getting into arguments with several people a year because I just don't like being yelled at by people I don't even work for or know. For some people wherever they come from it's okay to clash with another person and then forget about but it sticks with me and it adds up. Spain can be paradise if you're right for it, I'm not and so are many other people. Spain is worth it for the right kind of person but whoever you are expect the money to be very bad.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georginasmiley wrote:
I've been here for 3 years and can't make it work. The low salary is a huge problem for me as is the lack of work during holidays. But another thing to consider if you're coming to Spain is compatibility with the people and the culture. If you are a quiet, shy person you may feel like you are being eaten alive every single day by almost everyone you meet. I don't fit in here at all. In my own country and other countries I had few run-ins with anyone but in Spain I find myself getting into arguments with several people a year because I just don't like being yelled at by people I don't even work for or know. For some people wherever they come from it's okay to clash with another person and then forget about but it sticks with me and it adds up. Spain can be paradise if you're right for it, I'm not and so are many other people. Spain is worth it for the right kind of person but whoever you are expect the money to be very bad.

I think you're right to an extent but rather overstating it. Certainly, I encountered rudeness in Spain that I'd never encountered in the UK, but it was relatively rare.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best time to have been teaching English in Spain was in 1970's and 80's....back then the Costa Del Sol was the place to be.....Torremolinos, Malaga and Granada were funtastic places to be and cost of living was cheap. NO problems finding work then.....then came the EURO and the rest is his tory....Que Viva Espana!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked
johncoan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georginasmiley wrote:

Yep.

I got tired of routine rudeness and people pushing and shouting in Madrid, too. And TEFL pay rates overall don't seem to have increased much in the last decade.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johncoan wrote:
georginasmiley wrote:

Yep.

I got tired of routine rudeness and people pushing and shouting in Madrid, too. And TEFL pay rates overall don't seem to have increased much in the last decade.

Pay rates haven't increased because there has been very little inflation (and even deflation recently). Rents have certainly come down. Living in Madrid now is cheaper than it was when I left in 2008. You can certainly live well if you're prepared to put in 25-30 hours a week in-company.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty stunned with how easy it is to live here once you find your groove.

For the first couple of years, I was scraping by trying to build my reputation and get my name out there. After a couple of years and a bit of luck, I locked in 24 hours per week at an academy and am doing a few private classes on the side for myself.

I have a multi-bedroom apartment to myself for 400 Euros per month. Even if I had expensive taste, I'd be okay here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: