Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US Elections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuuri55

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: US Elections Reply with quote

Are any of you US expats? Do you watch the Bush vs. Kerry situation?

If Kerry is elected President do you think it will effect you guys in anyway?

If Bush continues as President how do you think it will influence you?

Do you think US-Arab relations will improve with someone like Kerry?

Do you think the US image will improve with Kerry?

I would appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks in advance.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: US Elections Reply with quote

Not too many takers, here, Nuuri. Well, this just what I need: an empty soapbox.

nuuri55 wrote:
Are any of you US expats?

YES!!

nuuri55 wrote:
Do you watch the Bush vs. Kerry situation?

Only from a safe distance.

nuuri55 wrote:
If Kerry is elected President do you think it will effect you guys in anyway?

You mean "affect," of course. We've got high doses of event risk / political risk in our lives, but you never know where or when it's going to hit. If we did, we could make a fortune.

I think that history will pass at its own pace, and trying to influence the fate of the world with guns and money seems to me a lot like influencing the economy when your only tool is interest rates: Your feedback comes so late that you have to make your moves early if you want to be able to make the right corrections, and you have to be highly sensitive. Ever have to maneuver a big boat in close quarters? It's like that, I think.

Does that sound like a job for John Kerry? Does that sound like a job for *any* politician?

We have to remember that we don't know squat about Kerry. We're being sold an image that is being crafted to please us, and all we can really be sure of is that Kerry is an ambitious man. He *may* be able to make a difference in the world, but he's going to be facing some high, high expectations and some very difficult conditions.

nuuri55 wrote:
If Bush continues as President how do you think it will influence you?

I think I'll puke. I also think I'll be truly alarmed if he is re-elected

nuuri55 wrote:
Do you think US-Arab relations will improve with someone like Kerry?

No, but he may be able to avoid making them worse.

nuuri55 wrote:
Do you think the US image will improve with Kerry?

It's a big boat. The nice thing is that hate takes a lot of energy to sustain, and if the US backs off on the visible irritations, that hate may diminish of its own accord. However, I think there is a real question of whether the US can afford to be less of an irritant. We obviously need to examine our role in world affairs and reconsider, but does Kerry have the smarts to lead a nation through that? No. Then could we be doomed to take the road that empires take? Can a nation of 290,000,000 diverse people decide its course consciously when most of its political decisions are arrived at by compromise among powerful interest groups that do not act in the best interests of the people?

BD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: