Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your preferred flashcard app?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: What's your preferred flashcard app? Reply with quote

Using index cards to make vocabulary flashcards is a tried and true method of learning new words and studying for vocabulary tests--at least for those of us who are low-tech, old school.

But what about our younger students who live on their smart phones and tablets? What flashcard apps do you recommend? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the app(s) you recommend?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, esl_prof! We've missed you around here! I hope we'll be hearing more from you. Very Happy

nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome back, esl_prof! We've missed you around here! I hope we'll be hearing more from you.

Ditto that! I missed my partner in crime! Wink

There are lots of Web 2.0 tools for flashcards. I have no personal experience with any of them, but one of my former classmates had mentioned Quizlet as an app she commonly used for her third grade science class. I suggest you try out a few to see which one best suits your teaching needs.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Quote:
Welcome back, esl_prof! We've missed you around here! I hope we'll be hearing more from you.

Ditto that! I missed my partner in crime! Wink

Many thanks! I'm finally teaching full-time this year, jumping through hoops and trying not to fall off the tenure track, which doesn't leave much time for posting on Dave's. Good to be back, though, even if just momentarily.

Last edited by esl_prof on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
I'm finally teaching full-time this year, jumping through hoops and trying not to fall of the tenure track, which doesn't leave much time for posting on Dave's.

Congrats on your full-time status. But do try to maintain your tenure here on Dave's too. Very Happy
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
There are lots of Web 2.0 tools for flashcards. I have no personal experience with any of them, but one of my former classmates had mentioned Quizlet as an app she commonly used for her third grade science class. I suggest you try out a few to see which one best suits your teaching needs.

Thanks, Nomad! After a bit of google searching under "best flash card apps for college esl students," I've identified a half dozen or so apps that will likely work for my purposes. Now it's just a matter of taking a few hours, downloading them to my tablet, and testing them out.

I'll try to keep everyone posted once I find something that I like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: