Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Libya finished as a place to teach ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CliveRAG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Is Libya finished as a place to teach ? Reply with quote

How long do you think we will have to wait until it is once again 'inhabitable' for us teflers ?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "how long is a piece of string" type of question.

But seriously, given the country's weak government, inability to fend off rampant attacks by Daesh, and a declining oil market, scratch Libya off your TEFL list if you're seeking stable, long-term employment.

Welcome to the real world.
gregory999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Libya finished as a place to teach ? Reply with quote

CliveRAG wrote:
How long do you think we will have to wait until it is once again 'inhabitable' for us teflers ?

You have to wait until the return of Colonel Gaddafi! Smile
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cities stopped being acceptable around January, 2014 give or take a few months. With the rise of ISIS and targeting of oil infrastructure, teaching in the desert stopped being viable at least 6 months ago. It will take a very, very large change in the country for risk levels to come back down to an acceptable level for international teachers.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libya is still doable...despite the political situation and ISIS there are still a lot of EFL teachers on the ground. Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Libya is still doable...despite the political situation and ISIS there are still a lot of EFL teachers on the ground. Shocked

Assuming you don't mean that literally...

Anyway, since you claim to know quite a bit about the current TEFL situation in Libya, why not provide a list of companies hiring teachers?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
The cities stopped being acceptable around January, 2014 give or take a few months. With the rise of ISIS and targeting of oil infrastructure, teaching in the desert stopped being viable at least 6 months ago. It will take a very, very large change in the country for risk levels to come back down to an acceptable level for international teachers.

Thank you, Spanglish, for this assessment. If I remember correctly, you spent a year or so in Libya fairly recently, so actually have some first-hand experience.

spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
spanglish wrote:

Thank you, Spanglish, for this assessment. If I remember correctly, you spent a year or so in Libya fairly recently, so actually have some first-hand experience.

Yep! I left relatively recently; things were steadily, but slowly spiraling downward the entire time I was there; by June or so of 2015 they had lobbed missiles at the country's principal airport, which one might say is a breaking point in acceptable risk levels.
Mingvase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: ref Reply with quote

I've seen an advert for a job in Libya this week on eslemployment.com
It must be the same place (Gas plant) I worked at about 5 years ago cos it says it's near the Tunisian border. I applied but haven't heard anything from them. I hope jobs in Libya pick up again soon as it is a worthwhile place for Brits to work in moneywise.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of jobs in Misrata for EFL teachers too... Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: ref Reply with quote

Mingvase wrote:
I've seen an advert for a job in Libya this week. It must be the same place (Gas plant) I worked at about 5 years ago cos it says it's near the Tunisian border. I applied but haven't heard anything from them. I hope jobs in Libya pick up again soon as it is a worthwhile place for Brits to work in moneywise.

That position isn't much of a money maker:

Quote:
Based: Gas Plant - West Libya next to Tunisian border. Please note that the location is very safe.
Job Description: English teacher to teach PET, FC, KET for Gas Plant employees.
Salary: 2500 $ - 3500$ per month.
Nationality of staff required: Any; excluding Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Iraq, Pakistan.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ref Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Mingvase wrote:
I've seen an advert for a job in Libya this week. It must be the same place (Gas plant) I worked at about 5 years ago cos it says it's near the Tunisian border. I applied but haven't heard anything from them. I hope jobs in Libya pick up again soon as it is a worthwhile place for Brits to work in moneywise.

That position isn't much of a money maker:

Quote:
Based: Gas Plant - West Libya next to Tunisian border. Please note that the location is very safe.
Job Description: English teacher to teach PET, FC, KET for Gas Plant employees.
Salary: 2500 $ - 3500$ per month.
Nationality of staff required: Any; excluding Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Iraq, Pakistan.

And Libya is currently one of the highest risk countries in the world and the trend is quite negative. I'd strongly discourage any prospective teachers from relocating there.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that, your contract can be cut short if/when the country's socio-political situation unexpectedly escalates. That was the case for many of us working in the MENA during the 2011 Arab Spring. I've also worked in a danger zone on a US government project in the Mid East; the embassy emphasized that we be ready to evacuate on a moment's notice. We each always had one "to-go" tote bag physically with us, which included the only items we could take. There were times when it seemed like "this is it," but fortunately, we were able to complete our contracts.

The point is, if you suddenly have to get the heck out because the situation goes badly, you'll find yourself unemployed and having to job hunt all over again. It's not worth it.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This poster known as Scot47 was at one recruiting teachers to go to Libya. He stopped doing that some time ago and sees no likelihood of resuming that trade in skilled labour. Too risky. He does not want to jeopardise his reputation as an honest man and fair trader.
Mingvase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: ref Reply with quote

I don't think there's any flights from London to Tripoli at the moment. I checked Afriqiyah from Gatwick but couldn't see it on the live departures page. Don't think BA fly there either now. so the only way to get there is via Tunis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: