Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Privates lessons in HK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatcher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Privates lessons in HK? Reply with quote

I am thinking of working in HK at an international school. I like to keep busy and how easy is to get extra work by either teaching corp classes or privates.
any advice?
kpjf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a job in a HK international school is no walk in the park. What subject are you licensed in? You write on this thread here you don't know what certified actually means so I'm wondering are you actually certified?

Anyway, regarding private tutoring, as jmbf will tell you, there are plenty of options for this in HK.
sistercream

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do understand that VERY few HK international schools employ TEFLers as such? I can only think of one offhand although there might be a couple of others.

At most international schools, a teacher needs to have qualifications and experience in teaching the subject or grade level (for primary schools), using the same, or closely related, syllabus that the particular school uses. You also have to stand out among the hundreds of candidates who apply for any advertised teaching position (OK, maybe only dozens of applicants at the lower tier international schools).

And, IF you manage to score a well-paying international school job, the board will assume that they own you, body and soul, for the duration of your contract ... you will be expected to participate in all sorts of stuff out of regular hours, like subject seminars, big social events, student competitions and displays/ concerts, and yes, provide (unpaid) private tuition for children of influential parents.

(I'm now well and truly retired from teaching, but did a number of years as a subject teacher at one of the Big 3 international schools here).
Mingvase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: ref Reply with quote

I've just applied for a tefl job advertised for HK. Is $20000 a month with $6000 subsidised rent good for HK? That's £1700 a month plus housing of £500. They don't pay your flight though so will have to make that up with the first month's salary. Hope I get it as it will save looking at jobs in Libya again which is non-existent t the moment. What's the tax on 20K a month?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: ref Reply with quote

Mingvase wrote:
I've just applied for a tefl job advertised for HK. Is $20000 a month with $6000 subsidised rent good for HK? That's £1700 a month plus housing of £500. They don't pay your flight though so will have to make that up with the first month's salary. Hope I get it as it will save looking at jobs in Libya again which is non-existent t the moment. What's the tax on 20K a month?

On the face of it that's a reasonable salary for a local school / language centre BUT it depends on the number of working hours in your contract. How many teaching hours / admin hours are required? Any additional responsibilities?
bograt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: ref Reply with quote

Mingvase wrote:

If you mean they give you 6,000 dollars towards rent, that means you'll probably have to add the same again to get a halfway decent place. So that'll leave you with 14,000 a month. You can live on that but won't save much. Tax was basically nothing for me the first year I worked in HK and came to around a month's salary the second.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: ref Reply with quote

bograt wrote:

If you mean they give you 6,000 dollars towards rent, that means you'll probably have to add the same again to get a halfway decent place. So that'll leave you with 14,000 a month. You can live on that but won't save much. Tax was basically nothing for me the first year I worked in HK and came to around a month's salary the second.

Not necessarily. If the OP is willing to live slightly outside of town but still within easy commuting distance (say Shatin, Tsuen Wan) then there are quite a few 'ok' places to be had in the 8-9K range. If they are happy to live further away (say Yuen Long) then an entire floor of a village house (that's usually 2 bedrooms, 700 sq ft) can be had for approx 9K. There are also opportunities for flat sharing which also brings the cost down significantly.

But I do agree that if they want their own place centrally located in Kowloon / Island-side then yes it's going to be very small / crap unless they spend north of 12-14K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: