Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

work visas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennie

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: work visas Reply with quote

Hi! I'm in the process of preparing to take a TESOL course. I plan on looking for work in Indonesia when I'm done. The problem is I was going to take it through Global TESOL but a recruitment person from E.F. told me I wouldn't be qualified with that course. I have the option of taking the Trinity TESOL course in Bali. I know you can enter Indo and receive a 60 day tourist visa and you need a return ticket. Correct? Does anyone know if I can obtain a work visa after I get there if I find a job? Or do I need one before I get there? I want to stay for year. Any information is appreciated! Thanks.
Dominus

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jennie

>I know you can enter Indo and receive a 60 day tourist visa
>and you need a return ticket. Correct?

This is tricky, as the Indonesian govt has announced it will shortly change its tourist visa policy. Most nationalities will have to buy a tourist visa before travel or on arrival, valid only for 30 days and non-extendable. Nobody seems to have a clue when the new policy will come into effect. Check with the people organising the TESOL course in Bali about whether you can legally do it while in the country on a tourist pass/visa in any case. An onward ticket to another country will do instead of a return ticket, and Indonesian immigration has been known to extract bribes from tourists without an onward/return ticket at some entry points.

>Does anyone know if I can obtain a work visa after I get there
>if I find a job? Or do I need one before I get there?

You can only get the visa outside the country, and you need supporting documenation from your employer. In Singapore, employers with good agents and connections can get the process done very quickly, but you have to be in Singapore while it's done. The work visa is valid for 1 year and can be extended. After you get the 1-year visa you will also need a residence card (KITAS) from your nearest immigration office in Indonesia. Basically, if you have a firm job offer, your employer should be able to arrange all your visas and other documentation for you. Once you have the 1-year visa in your passport, you can enter Indonesia without an outbound ticket.

An option in your situation might be to get a business or cultural visa sponsored by your TESOL course provider, do the course, find a job, and then do a quick exit to Singapore or another nearby country to get your work visa. Decent employers should offer to pay for your return trip and expenses.
reality

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Wouldn�t be qualified enough for EF! Reply with quote

Excuse my sense of humor. EF claiming a Global TESOL Certificate isn�t enough, is like MacDonalds asking for a Degree in Rocket Science.

I personally know unqualified non-native Teachers working for EF in Jakarta, on a contract.

As you are Female, you could walk into any English School in Indonesia, as long as you have a Degree. There is a vast shortage and huge demand
for female Teachers in Indonesia.

By all means take a TEFL program, but not for EF. Check
http://www.Search Indonesia.com, for the email addresses of the
following Schools Korean School (US$2000p.m), EEC (7-9 Million Rupiah per month), ILP (6-9 Million per Month).

Good luck!.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: