Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Jobs in Kuwait
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saudi Archer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: University Jobs in Kuwait Reply with quote

I'm very interested in teaching at a Kuwait university; however, I have to confess that I know very little about teaching there. I have quite a number of years experience working at tertiary level, and have 16 years post MA experience. I also have a DELTA.
I would be grateful if anyone could tell me which is the best university to apply to. I would prefer to teach academic/research writing to undergraduates, but wouldn't mind teaching foundation English.
Do the universities roughly pay the same? Does any particular university provide better family accommodation than others?

Again, I'd appreciate any advice.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: University Jobs in Kuwait Reply with quote

Saudi Archer wrote:
I would be grateful if anyone could tell me which is the best university to apply to. I would prefer to teach academic/research writing to undergraduates, but wouldn't mind teaching foundation English.

Check out the American University of Kuwait for possible opportunities. They're likely to start recruitment in the next few months if they have openings for 2016-2017. Also take a look at higheredjobs.com and TESOL.org.

Avoid iffy American University of the Middle East; it always seems to be advertising for teachers. There's plenty written about them within this forum.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. They are the only university in Kuwait that I can recommend, but they don't do much hiring. Right now there are no openings on their website (careers link). All employers seem to give a housing allowance and you are on your own to find something.

If you have lots of experience with research writing - especially to Arabic speakers - I would recommend that you also consider The American University in Sharjah. They will pay more and provide good benefits and housing on campus. (or at least did according to our last reports) The UAE is also a better country to live in than Kuwait.

VS
Saudi Archer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. You are right, I've not seen Kuwait University advertise very much. I'll definitely have a look at Sharjah. I'm actually British, so I'm not sure if that would go against me, as I've heard that The American University in Sharjah prefer to hire Americans. A friend told me to look at the Petroleum Institute in Abu Dhabi, which I may do if I don't find a good university position.

Once again, many thanks for your advice.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuwait University only does local hires these days I hear. AUK also rarely advertises. You would need to follow the websites.

Yes, both AUK and AUS would likely prefer an American, but good experienced advanced level writing/research teachers are not easy to find. A CV that catches attention with the right experience could get you a chance.

PI (and probably AUS too) is being inundated with applicants from those that are bailing out of HCT as it implodes. I have heard that they are receiving hundreds of CVs per possible opening this year... and these are from teachers with 5-15 years of Middle East experience.

Getting a first job in the Gulf will not be easy for the next years.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
PI (and probably AUS too) is being inundated with applicants from those that are bailing out of HCT as it implodes. I have heard that they are receiving hundreds of CVs per possible opening this year... and these are from teachers with 5-15 years of Middle East experience.

Getting a first job in the Gulf will not be easy for the next years.

It's quickly becoming an employers' market. TESOL Arabia's job fair will be slammed with lots of highly-qualified applicants next month given that major unis in the region do their annual recruiting there, including PI.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if PI will even have to attend with the applicants that are already on their doorstep, why pay the fees to interview at the conference?

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University admin from throughout the region generally attend the conference anyway. It also gives them the opportunity to interview from a more diverse job applicant pool in terms of experience and skills.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HR interviewer will need a shovel to get past all the CVs piling up in his office already. LOL

VS
Saudi Archer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PI is actually recruiting at TESOL Arabia in March.
When you say that HCT is imploding, are you referring to the likelihood that University Foundation programmes are winding up very soon in the UAE? Is this actually possible?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi Archer wrote:
When you say that HCT is imploding, are you referring to the likelihood that University Foundation programmes are winding up very soon in the UAE? Is this actually possible?

See the following on the UAE forum:
mashkif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: University Jobs in Kuwait Reply with quote

Saudi Archer wrote:
I'm very interested in teaching at a Kuwait university; however, I have to confess that I know very little about teaching there. I have quite a number of years experience working at tertiary level, and have 16 years post MA experience. I also have a DELTA.
Do the universities roughly pay the same? Does any particular university provide better family accommodation than others?

Again, I'd appreciate any advice.

Without a doctorate, you'll only be hired for foundation programs.

In Kuwait, aim for (in this exact order): the American University of Kuwait, Kuwait University, G.U.S.T., and--if you really must--the Australian College of Kuwait. Give everybody else a very, very wide berth, particularly the American University or College of Middle East and the Box Hill College Kuwait.
Saudi Archer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Mashkif, I appreciate your advice.
From what I've read and heard, Kuwait seems like a reasonable place to live while at the same time earning a decent wage. I'll apply to the institutions you recommended and see what happens.

Many thanks once again everyone; much appreciated.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuwait is a dump...living costs are.expensive.....wages are LOW...and savings are minimal at best!
mashkif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Kuwait is a dump...living costs are.expensive.....wages are LOW...and savings are minimal at best!

I don't know what happened to you in Kuwait to dislike it so much, and I'm sorry if you had such a negative experience that it tainted your view of the entire country. It does not apply to everyone though.

In my case, I had a job I loved, where I earned K.D. 1,400, plus accommodations allowance of K.D. 350. That translates into a tax-free monthly salary of $5,800+, i.e. $70,000 p.a. net. Taking taxes into account, I'd have to have been earning at least $90,000 annually in the States to clear that. From the $5,800, I used to pay K.D. 280 ($1,000) in rent, and up to K.D. 150 ($500) in cab fares. That left me with at least $4,000 of monthly disposable income. Now, groceries are comparably priced to the U.S. as are restaurants, whereas occasional purchases such as electronic devices are more expensive; however, I bought mine in America and had them shipped over. I got at least two takeouts per week (K.D. 15 on average) and didn't skimp on food. I did, however, mostly walk to places rather than take a cab and didn't go to spas and highfalutin resorts such as the Hilton. That left me a solid $2,000 (and I'm estimating conservatively here) to save every single month.

Of course, if one gets Johnny Rocket's takeouts every other day, buys fancy branded goods, goes to theaters, and takes taxis to malls and whatnot, the money won't last very long. Nor will it last if you screwed up your life so bad that you have huge debts or alimony, no savings, etc. And granted, T.E.F.L.ers' salaries are typically lower than mine by about $1,000-$1,500.

But to seriously argue that on a minimum of $2,500 monthly salary after rent(!) one can't make viable savings is nonsense in the absolute extreme.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: