Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PLUS are really a minus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIPTESOL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: PLUS are really a minus Reply with quote

If anyone's considering applying to Plus Education for summer school work, please read this. I worked there last year as DOS and would not consider returning. There were so many issues on the part of the company, so many I don't feel I could list them all. To name a few:

- coursebooks are copied and pasted pages from a selection of mainstream TEFL books, not cohesive or useful at all (fit for the rubbish bin).
- the H.O academic managers are ditzy and I had to cover up loads of their mistakes
- they don't employ welfare managers so kids often run riot and no one manages them. I was told first hand by campus facility staff that PLUS have a bad reputation for being disorganised and unprofessional
- teacher training sessions are compulsory but not paid (doesn't make sense at all).
- most of their students are Italian so classes are mainly monolingual
- the group leaders (from northern Italy in particular) are rude and petulant, they often return year after year as they're paid a hefty fee for bringing their students over. The group leaders don't do what they're paid to do, often going off for day trips and neglecting their duties. They see the summer school as a paid working holiday but don't do much work so the DOS has to clean up their mess.

I could go on but I really want to forget that place, I decided to write this as I've seen them advertise jobs recently. There are other, far better, summer schools out there who will give you a much more rewarding experience.

Please PM if you've got any questions, happy to help Smile
Captain Coddo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus are no better or worse than most summer school employers. In fact, your description of Plus can be applied to 90% of them.

Best stay away from doing summer schools in the UK, especially the residential type that involve teaching kids. It is much better to try for a Uni offering summer courses to adults.
Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Coddo wrote:
It is much better to try for a Uni offering summer courses to adults.

Summer courses at British universities are well overrated. The pay is OK, but after tax you aren't left with much. And there's accommodation to worry about too. Also these courses are often mismanaged, the materials are crap, and the students should not be studying at a British university because their language skills aren't up to the task. Better to move overseas or simply shift into another area.
DIPTESOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Coddo wrote:
Plus are no better or worse than most summer school employers. In fact, your description of Plus can be applied to 90% of them.

I disagree. I met staff from other summer schools and got a much better impression of them. LAL, for example, have really cohesive course books that have actually been written by their own staff. They also have lots of managers (welfare, activity, campus, academic) and a better staff to student ratio.

PLUS want to get their money's worth and expect everyone to muck in. The activity leaders are really exploited, working 7am - 11pm on minimum wage. They're also expected to act as tour guides responsible for large groups of 60 kids each.

Yes, all summer schools are hard work and not particularly worth it. I'm just pointing out the fact that PLUS are bottom of the pile if anyone's considering summer school work.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIPTESOL wrote:
Yes, all summer schools are hard work and not particularly worth it.

Yes, that's right . . . and with cheap CELTA's now a dime a dozen expect wages to fall even further. Soon the language centres attached to British universities will be paying the same as the cowboys on Oxford Street. It's a race to the bottom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: