Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a CELTA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jnehlig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Do I need a CELTA Reply with quote

I am planning to head down to Peru in February, at which time I will have about five months of experience working with a nonprofit in my hometown, teaching ESL classes to adult refugees. My only other qualifications would be that I am a native speaker and have a B.S. in Biology. I am considering getting my CELTA but am not sure if it would be worth the time and money. From what I have read so far it seems that finding a job without a cert. is doable but I am wondering if having the CELTA would give me more job opportunities, or earn a higher salary?

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.
sistaray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need a CELTA Reply with quote

Jnehlig wrote:
I am planning to head down to Peru in February, at which time I will have about five months of experience working with a nonprofit in my hometown, teaching ESL classes to adult refugees. My only other qualifications would be that I am a native speaker and have a B.S. in Biology. I am considering getting my CELTA but am not sure if it would be worth the time and money. From what I have read so far it seems that finding a job without a cert. is doable but I am wondering if having the CELTA would give me more job opportunities, or earn a higher salary?

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Peru board's pretty quiet these days it seems. I'll chime in but be warned that I've not taught there for over seven years. However, I see each of my ex-employers are still in business these days, and from what I hear from some friends who've been in Peru recently, things haven't changed a whole lot.

As has been argued ad nauseam in many corners of Dave's, whether or not you find the CELTA worth the time and effort has to do both with doors it opens (or doesn't) *and* how it improves your teaching. How much weight you give the latter consideration is your call. In my opinion, it's a working visa and *not* an entry-level ESL cert that opens doors in Peru, at least at international schools and some training centers. As you've probably read on this forum, work visas are nearly impossible for new arrivals with your quals to secure in Peru. IMO: most training centers will take you if you're personable and give off a nice Native English Speaker vibe. Some will take you without either. In my experience, some Peruvian training centers will offer training to get you up to speed on their teaching style / curriculum; others tell you you start the next day.

As re: a higher salary, in Lima at least, when I was there it was the same handful of schools attracting a pretty finite number of applicants. You could try negotiating a higher wage if you have a CELTA or other cert by leveraging this fact, i.e. "oh, employer X told me I'd get a dollar more per hour because I have a CELTA." And yes, the state of entry-level ESL in Peru is such that that extra dollar per hour will be meaningful!
Jnehlig

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sistaray
Thank you very much for your response.

I am still thinking I will go through with the CELTA as I feel that it will make me a better teacher, and provide an opportunity for me to network with other EFL teachers.
I am wondering if you know anything about getting a work visa in Peru. From what I have read it seems like it is a bit of a hassle and most employers will not help you through the process. Would having the CELTA make it easier to acquire one, or is having a bachelors degree enough to be approved.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a good employer and they'll help you. CELTA isn't needed.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a CELTA or TEFL cert. Many entry level jobs are requiring some form of certification nowadays. I remember going for a basic language school gig in Colombia and there were 5-6 other applicants. Anything that puts you ahead of the crowd would be useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: