Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council Indonesia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The language mill sector has always been a poor 2nd to working in an actual school as far as Indonesia and especially Jakarta is concerned. Taxation has always been something of a 'grey issue' -I would make sure that I received 'evidence' that this was being deducted and paid to the stipulated authorities! Shocked 15.5 mil in Jakarta with no extra housing allowance-or housing provided....I would skip it personally. Two factors to consider-a moderate apartment in central Jakarta will eat a considerable chunk of that 15.5 mil a month.Is the BC going to front you the deposit money as well? Also-the arrive on 60 day business visa and exit a few times makes it pretty clear to me that you'll be working illegally and in genuine danger of arrest and deportation if caught. And I would imagine that 'The British Council' would be a preferred target of Jakarta's 'boys in blue.'
Tudor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

misssapphire wrote:
For the visa they said 60 day business visa and I will have to leave the country a few times which they will pay for to get it renewed.

Did they also tell you that doing this is completely illegal? Admittedly, it goes on at a lot of places nowadays but that doesn't make it any less dodgy.

Tazz is spot on with his / her last two posts.
misssapphire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

illegal?! Of course they didn't say that. *beep*!!

Well I haven't heard back from them yet.

So, I need to get the KITAS (?) visa and thats the only legal one?
Tudor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

misssapphire wrote:
illegal?! Of course they didn't say that. *beep*!!

Well I haven't heard back from them yet.

So, I need to get the KITAS (?) visa and thats the only legal one?

Yes and don't let anyone tell you any different.

I'd say most teachers in Indonesia have worked on business or social visas at some point in the past while waiting for their Kitas to come through and it wasn't a huge issue when it only took 1 - 2 months, but nowadays they're taking anything up to a year to be approved (longer at BC Medan) so some teachers are actually finishing their contracts before even getting their kitas. Like I said, the BC are hardly the only school to be doing this, but, well, they always seem to have higher standards and more scruples than other places but maybe not after all.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more personal attacks/insults or the thread disappears along with the maker(s) of said inappropriate postings.
misssapphire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Mr. Kalgukshi wrote:
No more personal attacks/insults or the thread disappears along with the maker(s) of said inappropriate postings.

What comment does this refer to?

Anyway I got offered the job in Surabaya, have a few days to decide. I asked about the visa and got this response "You will coming to Indonesia using Business Visa, once we got all of your documents to apply Working Permit- the process will take 2-4 months. That it why you are covered with business visa during the process." I questioned this being illegal and haven't got a reply.

Thoughts? take or leave?
Tudor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

misssapphire wrote:
Anyway I got offered the job in Surabaya, have a few days to decide. I asked about the visa and got this response "You will coming to Indonesia using Business Visa, once we got all of your documents to apply Working Permit- the process will take 2-4 months. That it why you are covered with business visa during the process." I questioned this being illegal and haven't got a reply.

Thoughts? take or leave?

In a nutshell, you're being offered an incredibly average salary to work illegally for goodness knows how many months (2-4 is being optimistic) in what is, by all accounts, a fairly dull city.

What are YOUR thoughts on this?

Ultimately, it depends on what other offers you have on the table (if any) or whether you're willing to stomach the above in order to get your foot in the door of the British Council and move on to something better in the future. Good luck with whatever you decide.
misssapphire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Excellent points Tudor - I know what I have to do....
jaybet3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misssapphire,

i live in indonesia and worked here for a few years. I also worked in surabaya.

i had aleady been living here and worked on a social visa (I was sponsored by my wife), but I wouldn't do it again. Too risky.

Also, I wouldn't come here on a business visa. If you get caught, you get in trouble and the school isn't likely to help you.

In regards to living in Surabaya, I had to live outside the city to find a reasonably priced house. Then it was an hour commute to work each way.

Don't know if you've ever been to Indonesia, but this is an amazingly crowded country.

Since I'm over 55, it's very difficult for me to find work in Indonesia so I'm giving China a try. The salary in China is also much better.

Anyway, best of luck with your choice.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybet3 wrote:

Since I'm over 55, it's very difficult for me to find work in Indonesia so I'm giving China a try. The salary in China is also much better.

Anyway, best of luck with your choice.

I believe for every drop of rain a flower grows. I believe that somewhere in the darkest night a candle glows. Laughing

Time to switch careers or get a PGCE and teach at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: